Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the best way to hard wire my Nuvi 500 if I want to use the 12V plug with the FM traffic, which is a necessity around Baltimore. I have the plastic RAM mount. I ordered the Garmin universal powered mount. I have the 12V power cable with FM traffic.

Reply from Garmin:
Thank you for contacting Garmin International. If it was just a regular power cable, I would say that you strip the wiring in that and hardwire it to your battery, but with the FM receiver, that will completely disable your traffic services. In this case, you may need to add a 12V outlet to your motorcycle, as that will ensure the traffic signal comes through and transmits properly to your device. You can mount it however you like as long as you can keep that cable connected, but you will need that 12V outlet added in order to plug in that cable and get both power and traffic services.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...I wired a 12 v aux pulg to the driving lights. When you turn the bike on the gps comes on & turns off when the key is off...
QUOTE]

Thanks. I ordered some 12v outlets. Since the fuse panel is on its way, I ran 3 pairs of wires from the front to the battery area. I think I'll tie in a relay I have to the lights.

Tony

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the Ram Mount Nuvi 500 mount installed on the SW Motech GPS mount for the Versys, the USB connector doesn't have enough room. I unmounted it and drilled new holes in the SW Motech mount. While I was in there (famous last words) I added some rubber strips between the RAM Mount and SW Motech parts due to the high vibration. I also added some rubber at the pivot point in the SW Motech mount where the lockwasher lives.

Once my 12V power adapter is replaced (since the mini-USB plug is bent), I'll see if I still have the electrical connection problems I experienced on my Saddlesore ride.

Tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts