Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

Registered
09 v650, 00'r1150gs, 83' r80rt
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I've had zero issues with shinkos on any of my bikes. I have had issues with Metzler and Michelin tires.

Of course an under inflated overloaded tire could experience that kind of failure. Not the tires fault until a whole batch have the same defect like the issues I had.

I was having all kinds of luck with shinko and kenda tires. I was loving them. The shinkos I had were almost identical to the old Avon gripster tread pattern which did fantasticly on anything you could fit them to.
Heck and they are cheap!
Been running Metzler, dunlaps, shinko, kenda, mifo, hidenoops, shinchang, Avon, pirellis, you name it. If it fit a 150/70 17....or something. It probably made its way across the pavement and dirt on the back or front of the bmw r1150gs. I mean 70k miles... And counting.

I'm really glad not that many people have had my issues. I mean it. Thank God. I really do. Shit just happens sometimes.

Registered
Here I will show the reasons Why I dont use shinko tires.
Holly craaaaaap!
Did you file a complaint to seller/manufacturer? this looks like a total failure, should not happen...
Did they say anything? I also know you gave in US a goverment agency that keeps track, and also handles recalls, did you sent info to them as well, in order to investigare?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Holly craaaaaap!
Did you file a complaint to seller/manufacturer? this looks like a total failure, should not happen...
Did they say anything? I also know you gave in US a goverment agency that keeps track, and also handles recalls, did you sent info to them as well, in order to investigare?
Yes to above questions. I was told "Thank you for your interest in our company. "
And."... your request for information will be handled as soon as one of our representatives is able.... "

My local state law enforcement thought I was lucky given the circumstances. My other local state government officials (where the incident took place) said they would look into it. I received a letter from them stating something like..." we have looked into this matter and we will file this with the manufacturer and they will be made aware if the incident.. Your batch number and data from the tire has been input into the system......"

I don't know if many other people had this issue. I posted about it on advrider and got similar replies to yours. Lots of armchair speculation and other sorts. Nothing I hadn't gone over on my research in during the 3 months following the incident. This was as I said about 2 years ago. And since there wasn't any related vehicle damage. Or damage to persons or other properties. Including myself. Aside from loss of some pride, and relatives slapping me in the back.. Ouch. etc etc. All is fine right?

I don't really see the reason to purview a legal position in this as I already had some. My consulting brought back the usual. Can it be reproduced? Was there excess wear/strain/atmospheric anomalies at work? Or was this a one off lucky I didn't die event?
All that lab work costs a shite tone of spendoleum. Who was gonna eat the bill.

Believe me. I racked my head and picked peoples brains more about this then I did when I went through my divorce.
I can almost still qoute the load strains and weight ratio to speed gobbeltygoop.

Life is just a series of events starting at conception/birth that irrevocably end in some form of biological or alien force stopping the heart from pumping the oxygenated blood to the brain.

Thanks for your concern. I only posted it to get some people aware.. or more likely to post some of thier own fortunate/unfortunate/lucky/etc stuff.

This thread doesn't have to be only disaster awaiting. It can be our way to show the Really fun stuff that has happened.

Take humility where you can. The ego is what drives us bike enthusiasts out there from what I've been told.

My moral of the story I got from the event was. Don't stop riding just because you got scared. I know far too many riding group members who dropped the bike in the parking lot. Or while riding in traffic someone 'almost killed me'....
Have fun. Life's an adventure. It's not the destination. We all know what life's final destination is. Just go out and do stuff. Feel things. Enjoy life's accidents and recover a strongest person from them.

I'm gonna shut up now.

Registered
Holly craaaaaap!
Both Metzler and Michelin gave me a new tire, but I had to pay for install. I went through my tire guy who went through his wholesaler who contacted the manufacturer. The tires supposedly got sent back for analysis.

I inspect and monitor air pressure in my tires regularly and caught both when they were cracking in the rain grooves.

Registered
Here I will show the reasons Why I dont use shinko tires. View attachment 187674
View attachment 187673
View attachment 187671
View attachment 187672
They say Pictures speak many words, However.
I was riding along, Happy as can be.
Felt a little bit of a squirrelyness (technical terminologies) from the backend, then everything got really hard to move.
I let go of the handlebars, and the bike righted itself, and pulled itself off the road onto the shoulder.
Tire was properly inflated at approx 38psi (which is standard for my 1150gs). I know because I checked it before my ride south to friends. Front tire was at 35psi. The tread was worn down a bit but not unreliable. I've had tires with allot more wear before I'd replaced them. The tire saw maybe one summer of riding plus or minus a few weeks. I put allot of miles on my bike during warm months

Only thing on the bike was me and panniers. Panniers had usual tool kit and a rain jacket. May e a bottle of water or 2. This was on a 50-60f degree day. I did send my compliments of the tires ability to fail to the company. They offered varied ideas etc. But no unilateral sorries. Oh well. I lived. Rim made it out safe as me.
And I got a terrific wreath out of it!

View attachment 187703
Thanks for looking.
We all down here thought long and hard about the failure. Lots of "experts" have weighed in on the subject. I've had the tread and other things inspected by less then dubious personages. They all were just as baffled. Yay.
I lived. Otherwise you guys wouldnt be able to read this post. It was 2 years ago now it happened.

Cheers!

Super Moderator
Have you ridden the Mogollon Rim Road? Paved/Unpaved? I've been on the Rim Road once as a kid. I was a passenger in a pick up truck. I want to go ride it.
Yes - not ALL of it, but quite a bit. I don't REMEMBER much pavement.

I've had zero issues with shinkos on any of my bikes.
Back when the SHINKO E-705s first showed up here in Canada ('04 or '05...?), a friend riding a BMW (BIG motor - 1150 or 1200) GS had tread separation over quite a lot of the tire, and got rid of those SHINKOs...! I was running them on my '04 KLR650 when I noticed tread separation over probably a foot of the tread,

DSC04668 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

so I got rid of them, and then "bad-mouthed" SHINKOs for years, until I heard good reports, then tried them again, and I've been riding on E-705s for YEARS now.

Looked, but I guess I didn't keep any pics of them going bad.

Super Moderator
I think I MIGHT have written about this episode that happened back in '65 when I was running my 'drag-bike'....

*WildThing4 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I was at Shepherds Drag Strip in Calgary, I had just bought a gallon or two of "NITRO" from Frank Pedragon (father of Cruz), and was trying it out for my FIRST run. It was still during 'qualifications', and as I pulled up the starter (we STILL used a "flag" starter) came over and asked me if I would be OK w/ a BB/GS dragster (a 'rail' that looked like a AA/FD, but running a supercharged small-block Chevvie on gas) running in the other lane. I said OK, and we both pulled up to the start-line, me right, him left.

Their crew-chief was adjusting things for quite awhile, so I began to worry that he might cause me to overheat, and I waved to the starter that I wanted to run. The starter pointed to the BB/GS to see IF he was ready, but he motioned NO, so the starter pointed at me - I nodded YES - he turned to the dragster and gave the CUT THE ENGINE command (a finger across his throat to CUT the ignition), turned to me to confirm that I was ready, then gave me the GO wave.

I made my run, was in the process of slowing - probably around 120 mph - getting ready to turn off ( to my LEFT) but already in the left third of MY lane, when that BB/GS rail screamed by my left leg, about a foot or so away, his parachute JUST coming out!

I STILL occasionally wake-up in a cold-sweat remembering that moment...!

(n)(n)(n)(n) :eek:

:mad:

Registered
Yes - not ALL of it, but quite a bit. I don't REMEMBER much pavement.

Back when the SHINKO E-705s first showed up here in Canada ('04 or '05...?), a friend riding a BMW (BIG motor - 1150 or 1200) GS had tread separation over quite a lot of the tire, and got rid of those SHINKOs...! I was running them on my '04 KLR650 when I noticed tread separation over probably a foot of the tread,

DSC04668 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

so I got rid of them, and then "bad-mouthed" SHINKOs for years, until I heard good reports, then tried them again, and I've been riding on E-705s for YEARS now.

Looked, but I guess I didn't keep any pics of them going bad.
As I pointed out, all manufacturers can have a bad batch. I also think there was generally bad rubber in the mid to late 2000s. There were issues wth fuel lines, rubber mounted turn signals drooping and then falling out. tires, shoe soles, etc.

I typically put name brand tires on my heavier and more expensive motorcycles, and budget tires on my lighter, less expensive, less powerful motorcycles.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
As I pointed out, all manufacturers can have a bad batch. I also think there was generally bad rubber in the mid to late 2000s. There were issues wth fuel lines, rubber mounted turn signals drooping and then falling out. tires, shoe soles, etc.

I typically put name brand tires on my heavier and more expensive motorcycles, and budget tires on my lighter, less expensive, less powerful motorcycles.
Tire was purchased brand new from chapmoto. In 2019. It was made within I think 6 months of that purchase date. Anyways.

Stuff happened.
On to the next show!

Super Moderator
Here I will show the reasons Why I dont use shinko tires.
View attachment 187673
Can you share w/ us a picture of that little 'rectangular' "date-code" from the side of that tire?

ie - my currant rear's code is [1318], so it was made in the first week of April 2018 (the 'math': 13 x 7 = 91 days; Jan had 31, Feb had 28, Mar had 31, so TOTAL to end of March = 90 days, THUS made first week in April), 2018.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Can you share w/ us a picture of that little 'rectangular' "date-code" from the side of that tire?

ie - my currant rear's code is [1318], so it was made in the first week of April 2018 (the 'math': 13 x 7 = 91 days; Jan had 31, Feb had 28, Mar had 31, so TOTAL to end of March = 90 days, THUS made first week in April), 2018.
Ill have to look through old photos if there are any that show detailed enough. I dont have the tire or much left of the data sheets. Ive moved 2 times since then and got rid of allot.

Super Moderator
IF that tire was around the early '00s, it was MORE-THAN-LIKELY among those I mentioned, w/ the factory problem. The fact that you figure it was "awhile" ago leads to me to THAT belief.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
IF that tire was around the early '00s, it was MORE-THAN-LIKELY among those I mentioned, w/ the factory problem. The fact that you figure it was "awhile" ago leads to me to THAT belief.
The tire was not in the early days. Back then I was rolling around on metzlers and pirellis and dunlops. On my :"bmw" aprillia made f650 "gs" funduro.

I purchased the tire brand new from chapmoto.com in 2019. It was installed within 2 weeks of purchase, the tire was within 6 months old. I wore the tire on my 1150gs all summer into fall. The incident happened approximately

I dont have the tire or the date code pictures.

Super Moderator
When you mentioned having moved a few times since that tire shredded, I took that to setting the timeline way back.

Yours is the FIRST recent issue w/ the E-705 that I've heard about.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts