Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a new 09 versys, rode200 miles, changed the oil, used 10-40 motorcycle specific oil, and since i changed it, two separate times my bike wont go into gear from neutral, it just wont click into gear but the shifter does move. my oil is in between the two lines indicating i have enough in(checked it after a light ride, then after a longer one and both times showed right. any ideas whats wrong and how to fix it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If thats the cable that tightens up play in the clutch, then yes, but if its something other than that, no

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
You are trying to get it in 1st gear (one down from neutral) and not in second gear (one up from neutral) which can't be selected when stopped?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i couldnt get it into first from neutral. it eventually went into gear both times after 20-30 secs of trying

·
Registered
105 Posts
newguy0220,

I've had the same issue a few times. Even worse, on one or two occasions, I've been comming to a stop for a stop light, and can't downshift at all! Granted, I shouldn't make a habit of holding the clutch in, coasting for a couple of hundred feet, and going from 5th or 6th gear all the way to 1st in one go.

When I have had trouble shifting to first, I've had good luck just rocking the bike forward and shifting at the same time. Don't ask me why it works, but it does seem to do the trick.

Monte

·
Registered
748 Posts
It also happened a couple of times to me right after I changed my oil . I don't know if it had anything to do with it but I did switch oil brands and type (dino to synthetic ) . After I put about 50miles on the new oil change it has not done it in about 2500 miles. Like Monte said if you rock the bike forward you should be able to get it to shift.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
got a new 09 versys, rode200 miles, changed the oil, used 10-40 motorcycle specific oil, and since i changed it, two separate times my bike wont go into gear from neutral, it just wont click into gear but the shifter does move.
Which oil brand and type did you put in? Rocking it back and forth can help, as well as releasing the clutch lever just a bit. It'll also shift better if the drive chain is properly adjusted and not too slack... It will improve and smooth out as it breaks in, up to about 5000 miles.

·
Registered
739 Posts
You can also try this:

Pull in the clutch. Now put and keep pressure on the shifter (going into 1st gear) and slowly let the clutch come out.
It might slip (or shoot!) into gear, so make sure when that happens that you pull the clutch back in, not startle and let it shoot out! ...Or you will shoot forward. :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Check to see if your chain is too tight, and let some clutch out and click it down, happens to tons of bikes.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You can also try this:

Pull in the clutch. Now put and keep pressure on the shifter (going into 1st gear) and slowly let the clutch come out.
It might slip (or shoot!) into gear, so make sure when that happens that you pull the clutch back in, not startle and let it shoot out! ...Or you will shoot forward. :D
+1 to this solution. Had it happen once or twice - slowly let out clutch and could then feel it engage something - with pressure on shifter - either slip in or was able to then bump up to 2nd and then down to first.

·
Registered
302 Posts
is your oil certified for wet clutch engines?
there may be some 10w-40 in the market with high friction modifiers resulting in a poor clutch performance.check it out

·
Registered
82 Posts
Had this exact thing happen on my Ninja 500 a few times. Just rolling it back a little bit, then trying to pop in into 1st always worked. I don't think it's happened on the Versys. It did happen a few times on my friend's '03Concours as well. The same fix worked for him. Just something in Kawi's tranny I guess

·
Registered
420 Posts
Kawasaki motorcycles with the installed "Positive neutral finder" do this from time to time. All of the newer kawas have it as far as I know. At start just cycle the clutch in and out after its running a few times and it drops right in . Its more prevelant with new oil or if it has sat a few days, my last 3 Kawa's all did it. (Nomad, ZX10 and now , once in a while the Versys)It gets better (does it less often ) as the parts break in and after 10K or so just about goes away.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
its happened once or twice since, but it usually goes into gear after a few tries, luckily it hasn't happened around lots of traffic

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Happened a couple of times. Let the clutch go a little while maintaining pressure on the shifter. You'll feel the click in the shifter when it gest into gear right before the clutch engages.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts