Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
615 Posts
Why?
Just because the workers sit on the floor and not in a pretty well-lit fancy workshop? The most important part of any helmet is the polystyrene mold, the construction of which was not shown - so that part is most likely bought in.

Probably these helmets would not be destined for an international market but I've never read any report of where a helmets sub-standard construction contributed toward more serious injuries.

Sure, I do not buy the cheapest but I no longer buy Arai's and Shoei's. Their pricing is not good value.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why?
Just because the workers sit on the floor and not in a pretty well-lit fancy workshop? The most important part of any helmet is the polystyrene mold, the construction of which was not shown - so that part is most likely bought in.

Probably these helmets would not be destined for an international market but I've never read any report of where a helmets sub-standard construction contributed toward more serious injuries.

Sure, I do not buy the cheapest but I no longer buy Arai's and Shoei's. Their pricing is not good value.
Has nothing to do with the workers, they're working with what they have. I question the quality of a $10 helmet, the materials and assembly. My read is you'd be ok with trusting your brain in a bucket such as that, I wouldn't. I'd never buy a $600+ helmet either.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
It would be interesting to see some DOT type testing on these. Here in N. America you can get lesser quality helmets for Ebike, monowheels etc. which are lighter. Sometimes when Im flying along on my Ebicycle( which I self-limit speed wise) I remind myself that I'm not geared up like I am on my Kawi especially helmet-wise. I don't doubt that they can match quality as the shell is the key element meant to survive one crash. The cost of labour in these countries is why most of our manufacturing is done overseas. Now Im interested in how and where a $600 helmut is made..

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would be interesting to see some DOT type testing on these. Here in N. America you can get lesser quality helmets for Ebike, monowheels etc. which are lighter. Sometimes when Im flying along on my Ebicycle( which I self-limit speed wise) I remind myself that I'm not geared up like I am on my Kawi especially helmet-wise. I don't doubt that they can match quality as the shell is the key element meant to survive one crash. The cost of labour in these countries is why most of our manufacturing is done overseas. Now Im interested in how and where a $600 helmut is made..
Ask and you shall receive

·
Registered
615 Posts
Shoei and Arai are the Rolls Royce or Range Rover of motorcycle helmets. So how many people drive Rolls Royces or Range Rovers?

The shell protects from sliding down the road, but most importantly the polystyrene foam cushions the brain from instant velocity change. Add a secure strap and these are the most important parts of a helmet. All the other bits make it more comfortable to wear.

I never buy the cheapest of anything but I no longer see a good reason to buy the Rolls Royce of motorcycle helmets. I'd suggest that the difference in effectiveness between a mid-priced helmet and a top-priced helmet is negligible, if at all.
Mid-priced helmets today have all the features of the more expensive helmets.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shoei and Arai are the Rolls Royce or Range Rover of motorcycle helmets. So how many people drive Rolls Royces or Range Rovers?

The shell protects from sliding down the road, but most importantly the polystyrene foam cushions the brain from instant velocity change. Add a secure strap and these are the most important parts of a helmet. All the other bits make it more comfortable to wear.

I never buy the cheapest of anything but I no longer see a good reason to buy the Rolls Royce of motorcycle helmets. I'd suggest that the difference in effectiveness between a mid-priced helmet and a top-priced helmet is negligible, if at all.
Mid-priced helmets today have all the features of the more expensive helmets.
I use an Icon brand helmet, I have a long oval head, very limited for choices, the Icon has all the ratings of any of the top tier helmets. It has a great fit and very comfortable. I tried on Arai and didn't care for the fit at all.

·
Registered
615 Posts
That is probably the best reason for helmet choice but does mean visiting a shop rather than buying online. Some helmet brands do favour different head shapes.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is probably the best reason for helmet choice but does mean visiting a shop rather than buying online. Some helmet brands do favour different head shapes.
I won't buy a helmet on line nor shoes, neither are consistent and I feel the choice must be made in person. Here Revzilla is good online and they have a sister like brick and motor store.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT + various accessories
61 Posts
DOT type testing?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Super interesting topic here for riders. Im like the rest of you, i dont mess around with my brain and I don't even ride a bicycle without a helmet. I got a close up look at new model pro football helmet the other day it amazed me. It was heavy and full of motorcycle level protection. I use an HJC which is mid range but I assume is up to the safety standard of a Shoei for instance. DOT doesn't have the same assurance as I thought. Speaking of Ryan, heres another good test for helmuts he did. Id like to see all our decent helmets get a test like this!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Super interesting topic here for riders. Im like the rest of you, i dont mess around with my brain and I don't even ride a bicycle without a helmet. I got a close up look at new model pro football helmet the other day it amazed me. It was heavy and full of motorcycle level protection. I use an HJC which is mid range but I assume is up to the safety standard of a Shoei for instance. DOT doesn't have the same assurance as I thought. Speaking of Ryan, heres another good test for helmuts he did. Id like to see all our decent helmets get a test like this!
Another excellent video. I'd say the cheepo was made from ABS with an acrylic face shield from my knowledge of plastics. Big disappointment though, I thought he was going to use a real AR-15 not a BB version :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use an Icon brand helmet, I have a long oval head, very limited for choices, the Icon has all the ratings of any of the top tier helmets. It has a great fit and very comfortable. I tried on Arai and didn't care for the fit at all.
Same issue for me. Was told, and read, to try Arai. The Arai Signet X size Large fits perfect ... as if it was laser measured and custom built for me! I didn't pay anywhere near the crazy prices showing right now ($700-$850).
Will check out Icon's long oval helmets should need a new one in the future.

Having just ridden for ~7 hours on Saturday, something I would pay extra for is a lighter weight helmet! (assuming other factors being equal of course)
Just checked Cycle World web site. The Icon LS2 Challenger GT Carbon at $429 lists a weight of 3.32 pounds vs the Arai Signet X lists a weight of 3.53 pounds. So apparently even a carbon fiber shell does not save significant weight overall.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Same issue for me. Was told, and read, to try Arai. The Arai Signet X size Large fits perfect ... as if it was laser measured and custom built for me! I didn't pay anywhere near the crazy prices showing right now ($700-$850).
Will check out Icon's long oval helmets should need a new one in the future.

Having just ridden for ~7 hours on Saturday, something I would pay extra for is a lighter weight helmet! (assuming other factors being equal of course)
Just checked Cycle World web site. The Icon LS2 Challenger GT Carbon at $429 lists a weight of 3.32 pounds vs the Arai Signet X lists a weight of 3.53 pounds. So apparently even a carbon fiber shell does not save significant weight overall.
Here's what Revzilla has in long oval shape. Hate the lack of choices, I don't like the shield design on Icons new Airflight. I have a Icon Airmada not sure if they are still available, at least not on their web site.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
...Big disappointment though, I thought he was going to use a real AR-15 not a BB version :(....
The specs for an AR15 using mil spec 5.56mm ball ammo, is to PENETRATE a military metal helmet at 400m.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts