Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy. I'm from Austin, Texas and have ridden motorcycles for half a century. (That's 50 years to some). I can ride here year 'round and I do most days. Look forward to riding with other users sometime. Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
NOS again

Just picked up a new to me 2016 650 in the inimitable black. The PO installed puig touring windshield and lowered the bike.
Trying to decide now whether to raise it back up or leave it. At 6'4" I don't need it lowered but the bike seems fine in its present position. Any opinions?

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
:welcome: I'm 6'2" and lowered my 650 because i had a messed up knee and hip so it made it easier to get a leg over. Had lowered the front too but then put the front back to the stock position. Liked it better that way and had no issues. I now have a V-1000 lowered it but my hip is better now so i took the lowering links off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dido

was there any noticable change when you brought the front end back to original? i'm trying to get optimal handling out of the machine.
thanks
bob

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
was there any noticable change when you brought the front end back to original? i'm trying to get optimal handling out of the machine.
thanks
bob

For me the front end just handled the canyon roads better that way....(Your Results May Vary) :grin2:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Raising the front will change the steering geometry. In particular it will increase the fork rake angle. This in turn will increase trail. This will cause more self centering of steering but slower steering. It will also most likely move more weight to the rear increasing the likelihood of understeer at the limit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey, When I got mine it was lowered in the seat and with a lowering linkage. It was really easy to take the linkage out. Try it for now the way it is and then try it with the linkage out. See what you like better. Im 6'2"

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
twowheels, i am impressed. after about ten minutes of intense concentration, i believe i understand your answer. i'm going to have a greater likelihood of losing the rear end on a hard turn in. gotta love geometry. wish i understood it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Welcome, I live in San Antonio and spend lots of time riding with my dad in New Braunfels and all the surrounding hill country. Maybe we can meet sometime but, lately, I have been stuck working like a mad dog(I sell Cars)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts