Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mornin' folks.

So, I'm outta here, well, I'm outta the Phuckeye State for about 40 days. So long as I don't get hit by someone else (such as an errant grain truck), or do something stupid myself (like try to eliminate my chicken strips with this load), I hope to set my feet in the Beaufort Sea and then do a nice thorough tour of AK, BC, and the UP of MI on the way back.

Below is my ride, Veronica. Believe it or not, there is also now a TKC 80 mounted on top of what is already there. For those who may be curious, I am giving the Anakee 2's a try on this trip (130/80/17 up front, 150/17 rear).

If I manage to find some internet along the way, and have any cool pics, I post them up for y'all. At a minimum I'll report back with how she performed.

Be well!

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Good luck, be safe, and have fun!

My first AK attempt ended as a nice relaxing vacation when my riding buddy had physical issues but I'm planning another.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Good luck and be safe!!!
Don't forget to stop and enjoy nature and send us some pics!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update

Mornin' folks.

Many thanks for all the well wishes. I pulled into Calgary, AB last night as it is somehwere I have wanted to visit. This is my first motel stop on the trip.

Things have been going great. I couldn't ask for a better experience thus far.

I've passed through the edge of a couple of pretty gnarly T-storms in the last couple of days. Yesterday I got blown across two full lanes by a gust on I-15, heading into AB. Luckily, there wasn't any traffic nearby at the time - I think all the reasonable people were waiting for the storm to pass, before moving on.

I've included a couple of teaser pics - no real scenery yet - that starts today. It's been pissing rain all night and into the morning. High pressure and sunny skies are in the future forecast for the next few days, for this region.

BTW, a modified V draws alot of compliments and comments (especially when you are carrying an extra tire on the back), along with alot of inquiries as to what kind of bike it is. Only one person has gotten it right.

I'll attempt to post a proper ride report in the fall, but I'll be returning to full blown real life the morning after I return.

Hopefully I'll be able to update again, somehwere along the way.

Be well.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey, when you are coming to MI, send me a PM. I'm an hour south of the bridge on the Lake Michigan side if you don't mind a minor detail. I'll buy ya a beer. (Assuming I am in town when you get here)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update 2

Howdy all, I'm short on time, but got free internet at a visitor station in Grand Prairie, AB. Camped in Grand Cache last night.

Banff & Jasper N.P.: quite possibly the most visually spectacular places in N.A., and I've been all over the lower 48. We'll see how I feel after AK.

I could spend months in those parks (winter and summer) hiking and exploring. I finally had to stop stopping and just make a decision to ride.

Camped at the base of the Athabasca Glacier (google it) and hiked up it the next morn, to the point that it becomes an icefall and attaches to the Columbia icefield. The camp picture is pretty how I usually roll, camping wise. I don't set up at tent unless absolutely necessary. I also like to camp free, where possible :D

Whitehorse, BC is my next big stop and where I shall hopefully swap tires, and stow one as well, if they'll let me. Also, yesterday I met a couple of guys who did the Dempster, last year. Veronica attracts alot of cool folks into conversation.

I'll repsond to individual stuff more later - gotta run, err, ride!

Be well!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,775 Posts
There's a hot spring and camp ground just north of Whitehorse (Takhini Hot Springs), west of the highway about 10 kms or so. Recommended!

Going north from there, in about an hour you'll see "Braeburn Lodge" on your left (west side), and they're home of the BEST CINNAMON BUNS ANYWHERE! Take a few minutes and try one (I've only eaten HALF of one each time I've been there!). In the pics, I'm on the left in yellow.

The "Dempster" is, in ways, MORE beautiful than the Banff-Jasper Hwy!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts