Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Norcal new member

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Dranrab Luap 
#1 ·
Hello there -- new guy here from the SF Bay Area. I ride a Suzuki DR650 dual sport and would like something with better on-road / freeway manners. I prefer low DIY maintenance of Japanese bikes and inexpensive & freely-available parts & accessories. I like the looks of the Versys over the Storm. I also prefer a nimble & narrow bike for short runs or commuting. The bike will see 99% pavement, maybe 1% dirt.

So --

I'm looking for a used Versys, with a budget of about $3500. I prefer something clean-titled, not-wrecked and close-to-stock. Not worried about mileage or model year -- in fact the higher the miles the better :) . I'm definitely partial to the green (or second best, blue).

Any thoughts? On the budget, availability, etc?

What should I look for when buying used?

Thanks!

#10 ·
The DR650 certainly isn't a bad bike to fill the void until a bargain Versys pops up. Having owned a DR650, I can say that the Versys will likely give you what want over the DR. 2 days ago a very nice Versys with hard bags popped up on Tallahassee CL for $3500. I'll bet it didn't last long. So, the deals are out there, but when one shows up for the price you are looking for, be prepared to move decisively. Do you know about the Craigslist search engine called Searchtempest.com. It's a fantastic tool.

#8 ·
I'm a recent new Versys owner in SF. Looked online for awhile. The older ones are out there, but you might have to look for a little bit.

If you haven't already try also BARF (the Bay Area Rider's Forum), and Dubbleju motorcycle rentals. They sell their rental bikes and they generally, if not always, sell them before the warranty expires so that you can purchase an extended manufacturer's warranty, but don't quote me on that...

I went with the Versys over the Wee-Strom for a lot of the same reasons you mentioned. Mostly I wanted something that was going to be more geared towards city riding and commuting with the option of some weekend trips as opposed to something more adventure oriented. I hear the Wee-Strom is a great bike, but I like the smaller, nimbler side of the Versys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.