Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Thursday night (8 Sept.) While riding east bound on I80 in Ohio at approx. 70mph in a down pour I was changing from the center lane to the right lane. The front wheel bounced on the seam. Hole? Snake? Don't know. Went into a real hydro plane tank slapper. My last thought before going down was Holy Sh*t I saved it. Well obviously not quite. I low sided on the left side. Releasing the scoot as soon as I was on the pavement. The next time I saw it Big Black was on her right side throwing sparks like the fourth of July. When I thought I was done sliding I tried to get up only to find that I was still moving. I did a little tumbling act and ended up on my hands and knees. After looking to my right and seeing two semis and a car(3 lanes) I literally crawled asap off the right side of the interstate. The scoot ended up on its right side with its wheels up against the concrete barrier.

27 911 calls and $100 ticket later I continued on for another 120 miles to Mendon, Oh. where I spent the night. Friday I made it to my destination near Boston. Leaving Sunday afternoon I finished my trip Monday night at home.

Thursday the bike had an one hour appt. with the Progressive Claims Adjuster. Friday afternoon I found out that they had totaled the bike and my riding gear.

Having walked away completely uninjured was a miracle. Having ridden the scoot to Boston and then home approx. 1800 miles post crash. Is unbelievable.

Progressive has been more than generous with the settlement.

Ride Safe out There

Linky to some pics taken in my driveway today!

P.S. the trip otherwise was absolutely fantastic. Met some old and new friends!

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
Sounded like a wild ride. Glad your OK. $100.00 ticket??? Let me guess they came up with too fast for conditions.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hate how they total bikes for fairing damage. cracked fairing=totaled b/c oem fairing is so ridiculously expensive. Glad you made it out okay! the iron hog kept ya safe :thumb:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hate how they total bikes for fairing damage. cracked fairing=totaled b/c oem fairing is so ridiculously expensive. Glad you made it out okay! the iron hog kept ya safe :thumb:
It had "surface" damage all the way around. The killer was the frame was cracked where the engine guards are bolted to the frame. Basically if you look at the pics you can see that the guards slides up behind an attached bracket. Then is bolted through that bracket. The welds holding on the bracket were cracked. Being that it is part of the frame it calls for the frame to be replaced. At a price tag of over $4K

Thanks!

I do believe that the engine guards and bag guards save me quite a bit of pain. I also believe that my Hi Viz Saved my life by letting me be seen. And not get run over.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Right on, Bob... Glad you're still alive and well. :thumb:

A old friend of mine died today in his fiery apt after he passed out while smoking... He did smoke a lot of heavy stuff for a very long time.
RIP Steve. :grinangel:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts