Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No bike yet, but looking for info on differences between 2009-2010- and 2011. After much research I have decided to buy a Versys, but not sure which year. Help.
Currently own 2014 KTM300 for hard core bush, 2012 Husaberg FE570 fully kitted out for hard Adv riding, 2012 Beta 200, I compete in trials, but now want a more focused road/dirt road bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After some more searching it looks like a 2010 will give the best bang for the buck, but still not sure if it is worth looking. There are quite a few 2009s available, but few 2010s. Oh dear, what to do. Ideally would like a new one, but want to try a used one, and if I love it will upgrade in a year.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I started looking for a used '10 up but ended up with a "new" '12 because there was so little difference in price. Lotsa of left-overs out there cheap.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Coming from an MX background I found the riding position a lot more natural on my V than a lot of other bikes. I can say after 20,000 miles my 09 she is a real charmer. Maybe not the best for a lot of use on gravel roads but she will happily roll down them at a decent speed. no matter what year you end up with I think you'll be OK. However, the new one looks darn sexy. See if you can get one with some extras used. bash plate, bark busters, a rack. some nice farkles already attached so you don't have to reach as far into your pocket after your initial investment of the bike.

·
Super Moderator
19,458 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
No bike yet, but looking for info on differences between 2009-2010- and 2011. After much research I have decided to buy a Versys, but not sure which year. Help.
Currently own 2014 KTM300 for hard core bush, 2012 Husaberg FE570 fully kitted out for hard Adv riding, 2012 Beta 200, I compete in trials, but now want a more focused road/dirt road bike.
I am wondering what you mean by "more focused road/dirt road bike" ???

I consider my '08 V a tall road bike. Not a road/dirt bike.

The heavy front end, the small (17") front wheel, stiff suspension (for off-road), cast wheels, and lack of front wheel visibility make it no fun for me for riding it on anything rougher than a well graded dirt or gravel road.

Where do you ride Trials? I compete in Trials in Wisconsin and sometimes Illinois and Minnesota. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I read somewhere on this forum that the '08 V's have more hp & torque than the later years of V's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Versys

I live in Bundaberg Queensland and ride in the trials around the area. For hard core ( re mostly dirt and old old over grown tracks) the 570 Berg is perfect, but want to do more riding that is paved/ sealed roads and windy gravel back roads. This is where the big berg is tiring, while a bike like a Versys is easy. I want the best of both worlds, so need a Versys type bike. I have ridden a v-storm a bit and it does not impress me. Too big and heavy, and looks yuck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts