Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keeping my Versys but I really want another sport bike/crotch rocket. I was looking for a 300 or 400 cc bike as I'm mainly wanting something small and fun to commute on. I found a '14 Ninja 650 with ABS, 16,xxx miles that I can get for what my budget is BUT it's not running. The ad says it will turn over and try to crank. He said it "ran fine" until he hit a storm a few days ago.

I'm assuming that since it turns over and does attempt to crank that it's probably something small like the kick stand kill switch. With it having ABS and being a newer engine that my V650 though I'm not sure if theres anything else I should check. I would think if it were something major that it wouldn't turn over or try to crank at all, or if it did turn over and something inside the engine was toast I'd be able to hear metal grinding.

When talking to him he said he thinks its the valves, timing or ECU. I haven't looked at it and I'm not a master mechanic but after servicing the valves on my V650, I don't see how the timing could change unless there was a failure of a major component, which would also leave lots of metal to hear grinding when someone attempts to turn it over. I also got the timing off on my valve job on my first try and my bike wouldn't even crank, which leads me back to thinking its a simple electrical switch.

The Kawai 650 is a fairly reliable engine right? Mine has been bullet proof so far other than the stator. Would there be something with the ABS that could have gotten messed up that would prevent it from turning over? My only thoughts of what could cause a bike to stop running after a ride in the rain, but still turn over and try to crank, would be the kick stand switch, the tip over switch, something with the ABS, or that water got into the intake.

If I remember from my Ninja 300, when you turn the key the ABS light will come on but once it starts moving and the sensors pick up the wheels the light goes off. I was gonna turn the ignition to ON on this bike and roll it a few feet and see if that kills the ABS light. The kick stand switch on my Ninja 300 also had to be bypassed after a storm by the previous owner.

Is there a quick way to bypass this switch to test it?

Premium Member
Well you are on the right track. There is a thread on how to bypass it. Several things to rule out. Kickstand switch it will not crank. Neutral switch it will not crank but will with clutch pulled in. Kill switch will not crank.
Situations where it will crank with no error code, the tip over switch. If it got wet, that will do it. Motor will crank, but no power to the stick coils ( be aware the ECU supplies Negative power to the stick coils-- keyed positive comes from the ECU relay or whatever I have stated before.) Also no fuel pump or injector power. The ninja shares the same wiring set up as the Versys. Do a search for tip over switch and @dddd user name.

Reactions: 2tallformybike

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well you are on the right track. There is a thread on how to bypass it. Several things to rule out. Kickstand switch it will not crank. Neutral switch it will not crank but will with clutch pulled in. Kill switch will not crank.
Situations where it will crank with no error code, the tip over switch. If it got wet, that will do it. Motor will crank, but no power to the stick coils ( be aware the ECU supplies Negative power to the stick coils-- keyed positive comes from the ECU relay or whatever I have stated before.) Also no fuel pump or injector power. The ninja shares the same wiring set up as the Versys. Do a search for tip over switch and @dddd user name.

So if its the kickstand switch, nothing would happen when you press the starter button? Same if the kill switch is bad right? And Neutral switch it would start and run, but only with the clutch pulled in?

Still sounds like it's easily fixable. Gonna do some digging for info on the tip over switch.

Premium Member

Super Moderator
IF something used won't start, I look somewhere else.

Registered
IF something used won't start, I look somewhere else.
compressing the discussion to the ptwin powered ER6 platform bikes, like the bike under discussion...

i view a non running low mile, but otherwise unmolested, bike as a great buying opportunity and will shoot the seller a crazy low offer. the offer is so low that the bike can be parted at a profit whether the thing runs or not. that's how i build free bikes, and it's a proven recipe. it's pretty amazing what can be found out there for cheap money.

these bikes are simple to work on, any problems are easy to diagnose. you don't need to be a pro wrench, or any kind of other pro either. there are no issues with the ER6 bikes that have not occurred previously, been discussed endlessly, and solutions found. reading comprehension is more valuable than wrench skills.

Registered
some examples of my "ran when parked" buying opportunities...

cracked left side cover...$750
parked, lost keys...$750
disassembled for paint...$750
no crank, no start...$750
light crash, scuffed plastic, afraid to ride again...$750
light crash, scuffed plastic, dead battery, wife says sell...$750

$750 was just a mere fraction of the asking price. cash talks, if ya don't have the Benjamins in your pocket, you're wasting your time.

Premium Member
compressing the discussion to the ptwin powered ER6 platform bikes, like the bike under discussion...

i view a non running low mile, but otherwise unmolested, bike as a great buying opportunity and will shoot the seller a crazy low offer. the offer is so low that the bike can be parted at a profit whether the thing runs or not. that's how i build free bikes, and it's a proven recipe. it's pretty amazing what can be found out there for cheap money.

these bikes are simple to work on, any problems are easy to diagnose. you don't need to be a pro wrench, or any kind of other pro either. there are no issues with the ER6 bikes that have not occurred previously, been discussed endlessly, and solutions found. reading comprehension is more valuable than wrench skills.
Couldn't have said it better, ignore all possible solutions in this thread, and hopefully don't mention this forum. Offer as JD said a low $$$$--the history of that motor-well it is a rare thing for issues with these motors, many have over 100,000 miles on them. Plus you have a bike, no worries about transportation until it is fixed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bump.

So the same bike popped up again for sale again. Same seller. Now he鈥檚 saying the ABS light is on because the dealer installed the tire wrong. I call BS. But I don鈥檛 really care if the ABS is working or not.

now he鈥檚 saying it cranks but looses power at 8,000 rpm. If I remember from his last ad it stopped working correctly after a storm.

service manual says it could be an ECU issue or a clog somewhere in the fuel system. Both of which I鈥檓 comfortable digging into.

If I got the engine running correctly, can I just pull the fuse to the ABS?

Gotten a little more comfortable working on these engines since I posted this originally and since the bike came up for sale, but I have zero interest in trying to diagnose or fix the ABS if it鈥檚 anything more complex than a wheel sensor or fuse.

Premium Member
Bump.

So the same bike popped up again for sale again. Same seller. Now he鈥檚 saying the ABS light is on because the dealer installed the tire wrong. I call BS. But I don鈥檛 really care if the ABS is working or not.

now he鈥檚 saying it cranks but looses power at 8,000 rpm. If I remember from his last ad it stopped working correctly after a storm.

service manual says it could be an ECU issue or a clog somewhere in the fuel system. Both of which I鈥檓 comfortable digging into.

Gotten a little more comfortable working on these engines since I posted this originally and since the bike came up for sale, but I have zero interest in trying to diagnose or fix the ABS if it鈥檚 anything more complex than a wheel sensor or fuse.
What year is it and where is it?

FYI though it is rare, I helped a guy last year in the UK- it turned out to be a bad ECU. He had a friend with a identical bike. We did some really technical testing. His friend let him try his ECU -fired right up. I would need to dig up that thread.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What year is it and where is it?

FYI though it is rare, I helped a guy last year in the UK- it turned out to be a bad ECU. He had a friend with a identical bike. We did some really technical testing. His friend let him try his ECU -fired right up. I would need to dig up that thread.

A quick search on eBay popped up ECUs for that year between $50-$100.

Premium Member
Bump.

Before I would buy a ECU, I would trouble shoot-I know of only 2 failures since 2007 -the vehicle down sensor will mimic a ECU failure-just came up with a work around in July 2018-how time fly's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts