Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of us know the gear indicator error and the check engine light that show up when we change sprockets to something like 15/43. Since the Ninja 300 has the same engine and same size rear tire and comes from factory with 14 front and 42 rear sprocket, I wonder if we can simply just install the Ninja 300 ECU in the Versys 300 and be able to run taller gears using the 15/43 combination.

I know that many of the Ninja 300 folks changed their front sprocket to a 15 tooth and got no errors, so my thinking is that if I use the Ninja 300 ECU in my Versys 300, then 15/43 combination will work well without any weird codes.

When I changed my sprockets to 15/43 I absolutely loved the bike, it was awesome, plenty of power, dropped RPMs by 1000 and since I won't ride technical off road where I'll need the extra torque, then I should be fine.

Thoughts on the ECU swap?

·
Registered
Vx300 Don’t fear the Revs!
400 Posts
I’ve been wondering when someone would think of this? Only thing I can think of off hand, is that the Vx air box and exhaust was supposedly tuned for better torque. So I’d assume fuel injection mapping would also differ for the Vx. That aside, I’d say chances are likely very good it would work as desired. But if you really want lower revs, I’d consider more displacement.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve been wondering when someone would think of this? Only thing I can think of off hand, is that the Vx air box and exhaust was supposedly tuned for better torque. So I’d assume fuel injection mapping would also differ for the Vx. That aside, I’d say chances are likely very good it would work as desired. But if you really want lower revs, I’d consider more displacement.
I'd love more displacement....except more displacement bikes are too high for my short legs and far heavier than I'd like in my old age. So the 300 fits the bill until someone comes up with another small displacement adventure bike that beats the Versys - a tall order.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I hear that. I’m getting up there too. I love the low weight, ease of handling of the Vx. I’m a fan of the stock gearing. I was expecting it to get blown around more by trucks and such on the freeway with the taller profile than the heavier bikes I’ve ridden. Not sure how Kawasaki did it, but it seems less affected than bigger machines I’ve piloted.

·
Registered
400 Posts
There seems to be many off-road enthusiasts here. Curious if anyone here has tried or uses 14/48 gearing?

Most of us have probably seen RyanF9’s 2017 review. It pretty much sold me on the bike. Not that I was looking an off-road machine. That seems to be Ryan’s forte and he added 2 teeth on the rear. I find myself curious about improving torque. Has anyone here crossed over to the dark side and raised the revs on this machine?

If you haven’t seen it:

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
125 Posts
There seems to be many off-road enthusiasts here. Curious if anyone here has tried or uses 14/48 gearing?

Most of us have probably seen RyanF9’s 2017 review. It pretty much sold me on the bike. Not that I was looking an off-road machine. That seems to be Ryan’s forte and he added 2 teeth on the rear. I find myself curious about improving torque. Has anyone here crossed over to the dark side and raised the revs on this machine?

If you haven’t seen it:
I forgot he mentioned going UP 2 teeth on the rear sprocket - I watched that video before I realized how low the -x 300 was geared. It would make an off road tractor... kinda like a tw200 ... but still with a decent top end (>60mph anyway).
I loved the high rev shots "where you had no business " ... like the drive thru 🤣

·
Registered
400 Posts
My favorite was in the parking garage 😂. I’m thinking it might be fun to gain some rear wheel steering on dirt roads n such. Perhaps even wheelie a little without dumping the clutch. There’s a pair of closely spaced little speed bumps leaving the parking lot where I work. I don’t really want to dump the clutch on asphalt, but it be fun to lift it up a little on the first until I clear the second. Maybe even cross it up a little on a Friday. I bet it’d still do over 90

·
Registered
400 Posts
I’ve concluded the freeway stability probably has something to do with the gyroscope of an engine spinning up around 10k at cruising speed. The solid build quality of the bike certainly helps too. I never feel much if any flex

·
Registered
558 Posts
I geared up because I found 1st gear a waste of time. Getting away from traffic lights etc, plus the bike revved a little less at speed. With just a little clutch starting off in second was no problem.
Why they geared the very same engine as in the Ninja 300 down is beyond me. Gearing up also spaces out the gear changes a little. All in all, gearing up makes the bike a far more rideable bike for the average rider.

You may disagree. You are entitled to. It's a free world.

Engineering wise the Ninja 300 seems identical to the Versys motor, specs, valve timing, power and torque statistics. Only the ECU must be different, but will it match, and what others changes might there possibly be inside?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I’ve concluded the freeway stability probably has something to do with the gyroscope of an engine spinning up around 10k at cruising speed. The solid build quality of the bike certainly helps too. I never feel much if any flex
I haven't thought of that with the high rev's being responsible for adding gyro stability. The X300 does seem to have more stability that it should with the light weight and sporting a good size fairing. All the high rev spinning engine/transmission parts are all little gyros. Such a deal.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Several X300 owners of 2017 to about 2019 have commented about all the errors that show up when gearing higher than 15/46 or 14/43 (ish). But there are X300 owners of recent bikes that state going to 15/43 is no problem. I have a 2021 and immediately went to the 15/46 route with the new 15 tooth sprocket being an alternate sprocket with rubber bumpers however, the difference is the width and you must accompany the alternate 15 tooth with a couple of genuine Kawasaki X300 splined washers. With no rubber bumper the noise is louder and there are X300 owners that say it is noticeable. I like a quiet bike - so I had a great discussion with the technical staff at J.T. Sprockets and was given the opportunity to try the alternate sprocket and went to work to "make up for the gap" finding what combination of the two splined washers would do the job. This is all documented in my video on my Youtube channel. LINK: Kawasaki Versys X300 install USB ports, wireless phone cradle, lights, Denali Soundbomb air horn - YouTube
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts