Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

I wanted to introduce myself. I left the world of British motorcycles (had a Triumph Bonneville) and am now the proud owner of a 2008 Kawasaki Versys 650 that I have named 'Big Red'. Unlike the Bonnie, this bike fits me well being that I am 6'1" and I am loving sitting higher and upright on this bike. That and the fact that the bike ergonomically just fits better.

I am sure I will have questions as I get the bike ready for my daily commute to work and the upcoming touring season. So far, my first addition to the bike will be a Givi V46 Top Case with an SW-Motech Steel Rack and Givi Monokey Adapter. And I will be adding the Givi lights for better visibility. After that are probably Wolfman saddlebags for touring.

One question I had is where I can find the plastic fairings for that are on the left and ride side of the engine and near the header pipes? Where is the best place to try to find these fairings?

Look forward to reading about everyone's Versys stories on the forum.

Best,
Ross Borgida

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Welcome Ross from Sunny and currently SNOW-LESS Palmer Alaska! You can look on eBay and probably find the fairings you need. OR many of the online OEM parts suppliers like Cheap Cycle Parts.com will have them too, usually at a higher price. Where are you riding your bike?
Jeff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in the Mile High City of Denver. Here is a picture of BigRed where I circled where the fairing is missing on the bike. The fairing is missing on the other side as well.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the link for the bike I purchased where you can see the missing fairings. Any ideas on what the part number is for this?

Thanks,
Ross

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,110 Posts
I had the GIVI S310 Trekker Lights on mine mounted to the Hepco Becker Crash Bars......

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Many have the SW Motech and seem to like it. I was able to get my hands on the ever elusive Algard skidplate that's no longer produced and sourced from Europe.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Thanks MaverickAus. But if I go off-road at all, then the skid plate is mandatory. Is that right?
Depends on what type of off-road you will be doing really. The oil filter and drain plug are pretty exposed so if you think there might be a possibility of rocks, gravel, sticks, etc. getting thrown up, then yeah I would get one. AND a set of engine guards too. Even if you won't be doing any serious off-road. You never know when the bike wants to lay down for a nap. They will protect from major damage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Depends on what type of off-road you will be doing really. The oil filter and drain plug are pretty exposed so if you think there might be a possibility of rocks, gravel, sticks, etc. getting thrown up, then yeah I would get one. AND a set of engine guards too. Even if you won't be doing any serious off-road. You never know when the bike wants to lay down for a nap. They will protect from major damage.

Thanks Jeff. Do all of you recommend the engine guards for street riding? What brand is recommended for engine guards? Are there any other Versys accessories you recommend for street riding only based on experience? I know I want to get better mirrors to see directly behind me.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Thanks MaverickAus. But if I go off-road at all, then the skid plate is mandatory. Is that right?

Like Jeff said what do you call off road? MOST Versys riders will never take their bike into anything needing a bash plate. Jeff and Eddie are exceptions. My Versys never had nor needed a bash plate and as you can see above I have ridden gravel roads.
Your choice.
I do highly recommend BarkBusters and SW-Motech engine guards, they have saved damage to my bike in the past. (3 drops at standstill saved 3 clutch levers and possible other damage).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for everyone's responses. Greatly appreciated. I have hand guards on the bike already which is good to know.
For now, I am just going to focus on getting the fairings, engine guards, handlebar rises, and mirror extenders.

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually, I think the engine guards are on hold because of budget. The bottom fairings, mirror extenders, and handlebar risers seem to be the most important.

What are your thoughts on Motowerk mirror extenders and anti vibration risers?

Anti-vibration Handlebar Riser

Mirror Extenders

Seems to be well regarded on the forum and less expensive than Twisted Throttle.

Best,
Ross

1 - 20 of 22 Posts