Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I love my 2015 and for the most part wouldn't really change too many things. I would like to see the shock relocated as in the 1000 versys. What do you folks think?

·
Super Moderator
19,132 Posts
Well I love my 2015 and for the most part wouldn't really change too many things. I would like to see the shock relocated as in the 1000 versys. What do you folks think?
Haven't really looked at the V1000 to notice where the shock is....

·
Premium Member
16,143 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,106 Posts
Shock Adjuster / V1000

I had to look twice, looks like Joe was lowering it, if the 650 ABS had the adjuster where the V1000 is there wouldn't need to be any bending plate needed, makes a lot more sense.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The location on the V1000 is more traditional as in all dirtbikes and most sport typebikes including my wifes KTM Duke. Took my bike to work yesterday for the first time and everyone thought it looked nice but one of my buddies said the shock was goofy looking. I kinda have to agree. I guess nothing is perfect.

·
Registered
663 Posts
nothing to say on shock.
next gen could use:

(major ones)
-a 19" front, of at least a raise-able fender (for adv tire choices)
-some serious frame design thoughts to enable full-weight-capable skid plates.
-add couple inches ground clearance
-flush mount front turn signals (not protruding like now)

(minor ones)
-weight loss like they did on ninja 650
-a lot more underseat space
-voltmeter in the digital cluster

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been mentioned before, but a 2018 Versys 650 Adventure bike would be awesome. This is a hot market but not many smaller bikes to choose from in the 650cc range.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Been mentioned before, but a 2018 Versys 650 Adventure bike would be awesome. This is a hot market but not many smaller bikes to choose from in the 650cc range.
I agree, I think it would be cool if they came out with an adventure model, not a whole different bike. Maybe have skid plates, the exhaust moved upward, and dirt bike style footpegs.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
If we assume true adventure bikes, take for example the new Honda Africa Twin, are suited primarily for distance dirt road riding, with distance stints on pavement, and not more technical trail riding (bogs, large rocks, tree roots, etc.) which requires a much lighter and more agile bike or 4 wheeler, there are simply not that many places for most of us to ride in these conditions unless we live near an area of very low population with a vast network of dirt roads.

A recent review of the Africa Twin described it as the best handling of the current crop of adventure bikes off road, but also the worst handling of the group on road. Essentially it is a trade off IMO, what makes a bike good off road, is often counter productive when riding on road and vs versa. A 15km foray down dirt roads on my Versys with street tires is certainly doable, but not that much fun, considering the slipperiness of the tires on gravel and dirt, and the harshness of the stiff suspension with default damping and preload settings.

It is for these reasons I assume there is only a limited market for an adventure bike model that trades off its on pavement performance for improved off road performance.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I think that the best upgrade to the rear suspension would be to use a linkage system rather that the harsh direct suspension in current usage.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Things I would like:

The instrument panel from the updated 650 Ninja.
Centerstand or belt/shaft drive.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Belt drive would not work with the present swingarm and would require a total redesign. Shaft drive is nice but it adds weight.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tried sending a PM to Squishman but no reply so far. Does anyone know what brand of rear bag he has on his bike? I want the same type bag or similar brand.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The new naked bike version has supposedly lost over 40 lbs and has a linkage type rear suspension, One would think some of that would carry over to the new Versys (assuming there will be one).

I think the dirt bikes went to the rear linkage to allow a progressive rate (rising rate?) to better maintain rear wheel contact in rough places. My only problem with the Versys suspension was the original high static friction that has gradually subsided with miles ridden. A more progressive rate has the potential to allow a bit more freeway plushness, hopefully without too much dive & wallow. I'd vote for a linkage rear if it doesn't add too much cost

·
Registered
439 Posts
Belt drive would not work with the present swingarm and would require a total redesign. Shaft drive is nice but it adds weight.
Well, they did a complete redesign of the Ninja 650 so it's not out of the question. On the other hand if a factory centerstand were available I would have no issues with the current chain drive.

There are other issues with a shaft drive but I had one on my 84 CB650 and for me the positives outweighed the negatives.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree that a big brother Versys x-650 would be great. Add some hard cases to the sides if not standard and boom, getcha some of that. A real off-road worthy bike. Are you listening Mean Green?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'm not certain that a Versys X-650 would sell in sufficient numbers for Kawasaki to warrant a build. It is not likely a simple matter of dropping the 650 engine into that frame.

Personally speaking, I would rather have the lighter weight and nimbleness of the X-300. Plus it is a parallel twin of the proven design shared over several successful lines, a bulletproof engine with guts. If that is, I ventured to off-road single track rides.

Which will likely happen shortly after I win the lottery, get that woman ( for one night only, please), am guaranteed dry weather rides every time, plus convince myself that I can still do it.
For the occasional ride on gravel that I take, my old '07 V does nicely. But that X300 is sweet. :wink2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts