Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I've been lurking here for about a week now, and I decided to go ahead and create an account.

I don't actually own a Versys yet, but I hope to remedy that very soon. I had no idea that dual sport or adventure bikes even existed until a couple of weeks ago. I have always been a cruiser bike kind of guy up until now, and I currently ride a custom Harley chopper. Here's a pic of my current ride:

Short story long, I bought this bike back in 2004 brand new. I had always wanted a Harley, and this one was a shiny red sportster XLC when it was new. However, the more I rode my Harley out in the community, the more disillusioned I became. Most of the people I met were all just out riding their bike to try and look tough. Most were stand-offish, mean spirited, and operated under the premise that the more expensive the bike the tougher you are. It was all just a bunch of silly posturing and juvenile behavior that I preferred not to be associated with. As such I stopped riding for a while.

So, I decided to tear my bike down and make it a sort of anti-Harley. I removed all the chrome, all the frills, and anything that even remotely looked like a Harley logo. I wanted something stripped down and post apocalyptic looking. With the help of a couple of friends who are amazing fabricators, I turned my bike into the pic posted above.

When my bike was finished I loved the way it looked, but there was still something missing. I still had these weird negative feelings about it. It is hard to explain, but there is just a weird vibe around Harleys where I live. It has nothing to do with what other people think about people on Harleys, it is how I perceive my fellow riders, and how that perception makes me feel about myself.

I started riding a motorcycle as a form of therapy. I used to have a lot of anxiety problems, panic attacks, etc... My first bike was a 74 Honda CX500, and the first time I rode it, I was happier than I had been in years. I used to spend my days worrying about everything. I was always fretting about the future or the next panic attack, but when I was on a bike it forced me to think only about the moment I was in. I had to concentrate on what I was doing and feeling at that very moment, and while I was riding I was free from anxiety.

Being on a bike was pure zen. That old Honda was JOY on two wheels, but for some reason I had lost that feeling with my Harley.

Then I saw an ad for one of the BMW GS series bikes and had my mind sufficiently blown. I had no idea that there were street bikes out there that weren't "crotch rockets." When I found out that there were bikes made for riding, real riding not just going crazy fast or showing off or looking tough, I knew I was going in the right direction. Then I found out that other manufacturers besides BMW were making these "adventure bikes" and stumbled onto the Versys.

I found a green '09 that is left over stock at a local shop and fell in love! I want this bike so bad I can't stand it! I went straight home and listed my bike on craigs list, put an ad in the paper, and posted fliers at work. I have $16,000 wrapped up in my chopper, but I have it listed for $6,500 because that is all I need to get my Versys.

If all goes well, my bike will sell soon, and I will back to doing what I love and feeling good about it again.

I look forward to getting to know all of you, and want to extend my thanks to everyone for all the great information I have been soaking up over the past week.

-Nick

·
Registered
315 Posts
Nice intro, Sir. Welcome to the forum. The zen you describe is exactly what many of us here get from the Versys. It's not a perfect bike, but what it is, is motorcycling in the purest form. That alone, is worth the price of admission.

·
Premium Member
7,912 Posts
:welcome::welcome: and thanks for a wonderful intro.

enjoy your stay here and trust you will get your Green Versys soon.:goodluck:

:cheers:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Welcome from colorado!..

Nick.I know where you are coming from...1st, welcome to the V family.and the forum...I spent some time on rockets ,and that seen was all about looks,stunts,girls,speed,at least where im from..I wanted more from my riding..I found the V.I found the forum.I found my people.I found fullfillment..Adventure riding to me is everything motorcycling was meant to be!...FEED YOUR SOUL..ENJOY LIFE...AND RIDE...:welcome::cheers:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Nick - welcome from Indiana. I'm not too far from the state line, in Lafayette, whereabouts are you?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am in southern illinois right across the state line from St. Louis, Mo. We usually pass through Evansville IN a few times a years to visit my mother-in-law. It is less than 3 hours from us.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I am in southern illinois right across the state line from St. Louis, Mo. We usually pass through Evansville IN a few times a years to visit my mother-in-law. It is less than 3 hours from us.
Dang, I was hoping you were closer.

That's ok. Get in touch once you pick up your Versys and we can arrange a Southern Indiana ride - lots of good roads down there, in fact my wife and I have a trip planned for this weekend. She rides a Kawasaki Ninja 250.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought my V right next door to you in Alton, IL. I'm just across the river in the burbs of STL, once you sell the Harley and get a V, get in touch for a ride.

MOrider

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am in Alton actually. JMP cycle? They are the only Kaw dealer I know of around here. They have the bike I am hoping to buy, and they seem like pretty decent guys. I've been put through the ringer by other dealerships in the area. Any input on the shop where you bought your bike would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Welcome aboard Nick!

As the others have said, that was a nice intro... in fact, IMO, it was downright profound! :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts