Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again. Apparently I need to post twice here - so I might as well take advantage, and get some answers to my basic questions...

I am looking to purchase a Versys. It is a bike that fits all the criteria I have, for all the basic reasons that the members here love so much.

My question is: I have been scouring cycle trader, CL etc for a few months, and have finally decided to pull the trigger. But the decision for me now seems to be between a more recent model with higher mileage (2011 with 11,000) or an older model with lower mileage (2009 with 650 miles). Both are very similar in price.

I have done a bunch of research on here about this, but I have not found a post specifically addressing this question. I have read about the motor mount upgrade after 2010, and the cosmetic/color differences don't matter much to me.

My gut tells me that coming from my current bikes (1976 Honda CB 550 and 1993 Yamaha FZR 600) that even the higher vibration on a 2009 V might not bother me much, by comparison, and that the lower mileage bike would be the best call.

But I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks so much,

Scott

·
Registered
774 Posts
For the same money I would go with the newer. I have 23k on mine and it runs/rides like new. I would rather have a bike that has been ridden assuming it is in good condition.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kenr,

Would you suggest the newer for the upgrades, or for the fact that someone has ridden it already - and broken it in?

The newer one (2011 with 11,000 miles) is actually from a local dealership, waiting on a call back, wondering if it has the added incentive of a warranty???

Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Thats a tough one, but I would +1 kern74. But I have a 2010 and love it! Don't know about earlier G-1's. Both are good but, 2010's are the same as 2012's. I likes the black 2010. :thumb: Can you test ride them?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, the 2009 is about 2.5 hours away - so getting there, testing it and then returning again for the purchase would be difficult.

I'm willing to go a bit on faith for this one - based on my needs and the reviews I've read both here and elsewhere.

Primarily, I want this bike to last. It seems people have been putting substantial miles on these bikes, and even at 11,000 a V may have plenty of life left in her. So for similar cost, closer proximity and a newer model with Motor mounts, and if pushed - a better color.

So as long as 11,000 miles (i know i dont have details about what KIND of miles) doesn't scare anyone off, maybe this would be the better choice.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
16,198 Posts
For me i'd take a bike with 650 miles over one with 11,000 anyday. Biggest difference in the bikes are the looks.The rubber engine mounts aren't a big deal...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would take the low miles bike as well. You would be getting an almost new bike compared to a very used one. Granted I do think the 2nd gen fixed most of the little issues the 1st gen had but they are so minor they just don't account for much IMO.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I would take the low miles bike as well. You would be getting an almost new bike compared to a very used one. Granted I do think the 2nd gen fixed most of the little issues the 1st gen had but they are so minor they just don't account for much IMO.
I would have to agree! Both are good bikes! See if you can get the older one with less miles for even less $ than got for it. I almost bought an 08 with like 3800 miles on it because it was priced right! :thumb: Let us know how you did!:goodluck:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I like the looks of the newer ones better, but gee, 650 miles vs 11K? That's a no-brainer for me...would have to be the like-new one and let ME put the miles on it. That's not even broke in yet.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Unfortunately, the 2009 is about 2.5 hours away - so getting there, testing it and then returning again for the purchase would be difficult...
I would go with low mileage so long as the title is clear and in the owner's hand.

You can have cash in hand. Have a $15 uhaul m/c trailer on a vehicle.

go/look and buy or don't. One trip and done.

I've had two 2009's w/o issues.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All good points. I'll need to get cracking on the transport to the older one - 2.5 hours both ways, but maybe worth it. My initial feeling was like some of you, an almost brand new bike, with plenty of room for personalizing.

Scott

·
Registered
774 Posts
Thanks Kenr,

Would you suggest the newer for the upgrades, or for the fact that someone has ridden it already - and broken it in?

The newer one (2011 with 11,000 miles) is actually from a local dealership, waiting on a call back, wondering if it has the added incentive of a warranty???

Thanks for the quick reply.
The upgrades on the new bike don't do much for me. I like the newer one because it has been used. A 3 year old bike with 650 miles has done a lot of sitting. My bikes get pissed when I don't ride them and then start having issues. I guess a 650 mile bike could be ok if the owner started it and took it around the block once in a while. A 650 mile bike that has been in the back of the garage for all its life would be a different story for me.

Also, if you are going to do any amount of riding the older bike will be worth less than the new one once you put some miles on it.

Sounds like you need to take a drive and compare conditions/histories.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Appreciating all the advice. Plenty to think about. I plan on checking out the closer, newer model first. See how it looks and feels. If after seeing it, I fall in love - might be worth it. If I still feel like I should check out the older one - I'll figure out some transportation, and see if I can get some reasons for the minimal mileage on a 3 year old bike.

I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Be prepared to do some maintenance on the 11,000 mile bike. Check on the maintenance history: Were the spark plugs changed and air filter cleaned at 7,500 miles?
At 15,000 miles you'll need to change plugs, clean filter again - and check valve clearance. Nothing bad here, but just plan on it.

I have both an 09 V with 14,000 miles and a 10 V with 1,500 miles. It's hard to tell much difference in the rides of the two bikes. Both are great.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm prepared for a bit of maintenance. To be honest, I assumed that the bike with only 650 miles on it may need some of the basic new bike maintenance.

I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty. Although having this modern bike is partially for reliability etc, I still assume I'll need to do all basic tune-up procedures. I do the work myself, so at least it keeps costs down.

That being said, the 2011 bike with 11,000 on the clock is at a dealership, so there is always a chance they at least checked the plugs....:)

·
Premium Member
16,198 Posts
That being said, the 2011 bike with 11,000 on the clock is at a dealership, so there is always a chance they at least checked the plugs....:)

:funnypost::funnypost::funnypost::funnypost::

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, just spoke to the dealer. I fully recognize that it's in their best interest to move this bike - but for now, I'll take him at his word :)

He informed me that the 2011, Maroon V with 11,000 miles was traded in because the PO wanted a larger displacement bike, for he and his wife 2 up (didn't ask about his weight). The first scheduled service was done (not sure how many there should be before 11,000) - but dealer went ahead and changed the sprockets and the chain when he got hold of it. Doesn't have the warranty any longer.

The cost of this bike would put it at $5088 with tax, plates, reg, a little less than the 2009, unless I can talk that guy down with the standard CL shuffle (in my experience, most people up it a bit for the eventual haggle - which I HATE doing!).

so still the potential of old plugs... :)

But it's neck and neck for me at this point. I love the idea of a bike with only 650 miles on it - but that I don't need to pay sticker prices for. But I also appreciated the 2011 motor mounts, color and just having the newest bike I can.

Oh, decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
You are right where you should be! I know you don't like to but you have got to make offers! Just think about it! Say $500.00 off each one or the 09 or whatever, but $500.00? What do you think? :thumb:

:goodluck: :thumb:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts