Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

After a life wakeup call I have decided to start riding again.

I am leaning towards a new 2015 Versys 650 LT ($7,999 + tax & pdi) CDN but they have a new 2014 650 ($6,199 + tax & pdi) as well.

The LT has a 2 year warranty and hand protectors while the 2014 is a base model.

Complicating the decision is the fact that I need to lower whatever bike I choose in order to flat foot.

I plan on taking advantage of all the cumulative knowledge here to help me make a decision.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,197 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reactions: weljo2001

·
Premium Member
16,197 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
I am leaning towards a new 2015 Versys 650 LT ($7,999 + tax & pdi) CDN but they have a new 2014 650 ($6,199 + tax & pdi) as well.
Hi & Welcome

1. Do both come with ABS? If not that would be my deciding point.

2. As it is the first bike for many years, do you need a new bike?

There are some well farkled second hand, possibly lowered, bikes available in most markets. I am sure there will be some in Calgary, even if there aren't any in Edmonton.

You don't hurt as much if you drop a second hand bike, even if it is new to you.

Cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi & Welcome

1. Do both come with ABS? If not that would be my deciding point.

2. As it is the first bike for many years, do you need a new bike?

There are some well farkled second hand, possibly lowered, bikes available in most markets. I am sure there will be some in Calgary, even if there aren't any in Edmonton.

You don't hurt as much if you drop a second hand bike, even if it is new to you.

Cheers
Thank you for the welcome and thoughts.

Both bikes do have ABS but since I have never ridden one with ABS it is not a large factor in my mind.

One of my bikes was a 1971 Norton Commando with drums on both ends so anything with disc brakes seems awe inspiring! LOL

You are right about not needing a new bike. It makes a lot sense to get a few miles in and then contemplate the latest and greatest.

Regards

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:welcome: aboard!

I'd go w/ the '14 - that $1,800 will buy LOTS of farkles!
Thanks for the wecome.

You are right about the farkles......they would also be the farkles that I want as opposed to the someone else's.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pulled the trigger on a 2011 650 with 4800 KMS (3000 miles) Motoworks guards, heated grips, and hand protectors today.

$4500 CDN tax in.

Thanks for everyones advice!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Sounds a good buy.

Just need some bags and some LED lighting

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds a good buy.

Just need some bags and some LED lighting
I have started my search for LED lights and there seems to be a lot of options.

What would you recommend?

The bags that have caught my eye are the GIVI E21.

My idea of touring now is motel to motel so I would be packing would be fairly light and space is not a huge issue.

The narrow bags also work for me mounting and dismounting.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
:welcome: Check out Moto Werks for a lowering link. Speedy makes great products for the Versys....https://motowerk.com/collections
I agree with weljo. I'm inseam-challenged (the new short) and the Moto Werks lowering link was worth every penny. I followed Speedy's instructions and lowered the fork tubes as well and am extremely pleased, particularly because as I enter my seventh decade my sense of balance and strength aren't what they once were. Being closer to the ground so I can plant my outriggers is a substantial benefit - to me at least. Thanks be to Speedy for thinking about us short older guys!

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have started my search for LED lights and there seems to be a lot of options.

What would you recommend?
I have had the previous generation of these for 5+ years and they are great 3500LM Cree Led Light x2+Switch - 2allbuyer

These ones are brighter than mine and have a built in dimmer so you can have them at (say) 60% power when on low beam and 100% power when on high beam.

Good luck with your decisions

Alan

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome nice to meet you. I just joined as well.
Thank you and welcome to you!

I hope you enjoy the forums and get as much great advice as I have in my short time as a member.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have had the previous generation of these for 5+ years and they are great 3500LM Cree Led Light x2+Switch - 2allbuyer

These ones are brighter than mine and have a built in dimmer so you can have them at (say) 60% power when on low beam and 100% power when on high beam.

Good luck with your decisions

Alan
Thanks for the recommendation.

I will check them out!

·
Registered
442 Posts
looks like you made a good purchase. Now you can enjoy buying the farkles. Makes it feel like Christmas year round. I agree with the motowerk lowering kit, and flatfoot. I parked my bike in the yard. the kickstand sunk in the ground, and the bike fell over, breaking a side panel. over $200 to replace. Also I just ordered a riser block for the front of the seat from member Rawkstar320 for $14. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/23-sale/115985-riser-block-front-seat-lift-mod.html
Hope you enjoy the Versys, and keep us informed of mods you do.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looks like you made a good purchase. Now you can enjoy buying the farkles. Makes it feel like Christmas year round. I agree with the motowerk lowering kit, and flatfoot. I parked my bike in the yard. the kickstand sunk in the ground, and the bike fell over, breaking a side panel. over $200 to replace. Also I just ordered a riser block for the front of the seat from member Rawkstar320 for $14. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/23-sale/115985-riser-block-front-seat-lift-mod.html
Hope you enjoy the Versys, and keep us informed of mods you do.
I picked up my bike yesterday and was able to get a shakedown run made in some decent weather.:yeahsmile::yeahsmile:

Factory windscreen works perfectly for me and I didn't notice any appreciable vibration in the bars or pegs (but my last bike was a 1200 Sportster!)

Sorry to hear about your bike going over. it had to give you a sickening feeling to find it on the ground.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just saw you're in Edmonton. Born and raised on the South Side....

:thumb: - :thumb:
Small world!

Look me up if you come to town and I will buy a wobbley pop in exchange for road stories:grinangel:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts