Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe my hand is too big for the throttle, but after about an hour I lose all blood in my fingers. I try all sorts of different positions, but basically have to let go and give my hand a rest/shake. Any suggestions on overcoming this obstacle?

I heard "cramp busters" was a good $10 investment, but before doing that, thought I'd post the question for suggestions with the Versys throttle...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Death grip?

nvoelsch,

By newbie, do you mean you're new to motor biking?

I had a "death grip" on the throttle for my first month of riding. An hour's riding would have me near to tears. I eventually relaxed and have had no further issues.

I do have a "cramp-buster"/"throttle-rocker" that I use on longer steady speed runs.

Cheers,

BBM

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have big hands (really big hands) too but realized it's my gloves that squeezed my fingers when hand was closed around the throttle. Squeeze your fist and see if it cuts circulation in your fingers it might be your problem. My two middle fingers got numb after 3-4 hours of riding. If you have cramps, check for posture, and relax :) Good luck!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, new to motorcycling - took the Team Oregon 3-day training course at the local community college and bought the Versys a few days later. About 3 weeks ago now...

Thanks for the ideas guys. I went out and bought the crampbuster last night and will give it a try tomorrow on a trip to the coast. I've tried the "loose grip" and all sorts of different combinations so far. My dad used to ride bikes and he growls and says, "you'll just have to get over it son!"

:huh:

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I got rid of all the numbing vibrations by switching to a tapered aluminum handlebar. (I have XXL hands.) I even removed the bar-end weights, and the mirrors always show a clear view.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll definitely be a spokesperson for the crampbuster. Put over 200 miles at the coast, no issues. It is by far the best $10 investment I've made!

·
Registered
699 Posts
I had the same issues. It was a combination of wrist fatigue from holding throttle open, and the grips beig too small. I added a Crampbuster and a set of Grip Puppies. Problem solved. There is a link on the forums to the Grip puppies..somewhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Nvoelsch. I am also looking at fitting a crampbuster to my bike, but noted that there are sizes involved for the throttle. Which size fits the Versys? thanks

·
Registered
699 Posts
If you are using the stock grips, the smaller crampbuster is the one you want. However, when I put the grip puppies on, the crampbuster works, but the quick adjustment feature doesn,t work. If you rotate it forward like before. it turns the foam grip puppies. I'm looking into getting a Kako throttle lock.
Actually, now that I have 1600 miles on it, I have no where near the vibration issue as b4.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts