Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. So I'm addicted to torque/horsepower. I want to squeeze a little more out of the V's engine if possible.

What's recommended? New pipe? What's this "Power Commander" I keep hearing about? I'm gonna have a 14t front sprocket installed next week, and that might give a little more punch I'm hoping.

Or should I just let it all go, save the money, take a deep breath and eventually get a more powerful motorcycle?

Any thoughts appreciated... :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
You want true all out speed then the V is not the bike for you, get a liter bike.

There are somethings you can do to make it better than stock but thoses things all depend on variables like budget, personal prefrance, taste, brand loyalty etc.

Best thing to get more performace, and you will get only so much with this bike, is exhaust system and some kind of fuel controler mods. Sprokets help to.

check out my mods below...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yeah, for pure accelleration there are faster bikes. You said 'newbie question' though, how long have you been riding? Have you worked with the bike enough to ring out what they're capable of? It's all about carving turns and keeping the bike in the powerband - 6-10Krpms. My chicken strips are down to about a quarter inch.

They will do over a hundred easy - are you just wanting to get there faster?

A lot of guys are gearing up, so it seems cruising is a little more popular, at freeway speeds. For cornering and high-speed running I found the stock gearing just right. I don't mind keeping it singing, and would consistently run it at 6-8K rpm's. At 6-6200 it's right at about 75mph, at 9K it's almost at a hundred. There's plenty of accelleration left at 80-plus, it will zoom to a hundred plus without too much trouble.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just buy a faster bike if you can afford it. Instead of modifying my Suzuki DR650 I sold it and bought the Versys. I wound up with a better bike and saved money in the end. If you want speed try a liter bike like a z1000.

·
0 Posts
you can get mid 80's HP all day long if you want to spend? Search on here for V2Sam pots for real world info.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your input everyone - just to clarify a few things:

1) I'm not interested in high top speed. I rarely go over 80 mph.
2) I'm willing to spend maybe $500-$1000 max
3) I don't want it to be loud
4) I'm an experienced rider, and I do maximize the V's power as it is now
5) I'm a newbie when it comes to enhancing performance on a motorcycle
6) I'm not doing any mechanical work myself - so a shop would need to do the improvements.

I'm leaning towards taking deep breaths, and saving for a Mulitstrada 1200 or something eventually though.... or maybe a Kawasaki Versys 1200 will come out? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts