Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2011 versys 650
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone! im pretty new to the bike world, have had my Versys for one month now and ive just had new tires installed however the front tire is the wrong size and they put on a 120/60 r17 instead of a 120/70 r17.
ill go back to them and ask about it but im really curious to find something about anyone using that tire size or if that's to small or if it doesn't matter between the two.
first bike and just a bit over cautious on everything and thank you for any help or pointers in the right directions

·
Registered
3 Posts
Regardless of whether the tyre will have a positive or negative effect on how the bike rides, I think that unless you know exactly that you want a different size for any reason, you should stick with the manufacturer recommendation.

The question is, did you agree to the size when you were at the shop buying it? Does it match the size written on the receipt? If not, I'd want it replaced.

Nice looking bike though.

·
Registered
2011 versys 650
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it does not match what I had originally requested and ordered, my receipt shows the proper size of 120/70 r17 so I’ll definitely be going back to them on Monday morning when they open up.
I couldn’t find much on anyone else using 120/60 as a front on the versys and everything else I look up indicates 120/70 so I was worried about it

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Did a quick search, handling and being able to flex is reduced from what I read. So yes return it.

·
Registered
2011 versys 650
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you onewizard and bayern with it being my first bike and not having the knowledge about tire sizes I was concerned about it and I couldn't find much on a Versys with a 120/60 front other than just to change it back to 120/70

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
What is the tire make / series?

·
Registered
2011 versys 650
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I previously had on Continental contimotion tires front 120/70 r17 rear 160/60 r17.
I have now had Michelin road 5 tires installed and asked for the same tire size as the Continental's but the front tire that was installed is a 120/60 r17

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
I have the 120/70 ZR 17 PR 5 . I love them. They screwed up. Good thing you have the receipt.

·
Registered
2011 versys 650
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It feels really nice even as it is with the 120/60 but I notice the difference between the continental and the Michelin, plus just not finding much of any info about other people using that tire size, I could understand if I was going to take the bike onto the track because I think the slightly smaller tire makes it easier to turn into turns but it does so at the expensive of some stability (I could be wrong with that, still learning all of this as I go).
Really appreciate the help Onewizard

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
A couple things, 90% of your braking is your front tire. There is no need for added cornering. My bike is lowered, i have zero problem with cornering. The first 200 KM you need to be careful, FYI I run 39 front 42 rear. I have the givi top case and 33 liter side cases. So combined weight is about 230 LBS. I have a tire pressure monitor. It has been stated that adding 10% to cold tire pressure should equal heated tire pressure. If it is higher, the pressure is too low, if it is less than 10% it is too high. Both hot pressures fall i to the 10% value . Which has to do with side wall flexing.

Reactions: Unkindbeaker

·
Registered
2011 versys 650
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is really great info to know about the pressures, So far I am not running any side cases and on occasion have a small bag strapped to the pillion seat. No more then 25lbs I’d say.
and for the first 200km the most important is while turning right? The edges of the contact strips are more slippery correct?

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
The ones mounted have a load index of 55 the 120/70 are 58 load index
Went to Michelin but can't transfer download on phone.
As to slippery , yes , and dry pavement. I had my tires mounted on loose wheels. When I picked them up it was raining out. I was questioned before I left about riding that day. I assured them that it needed to be warm and sunny out on break in.

·
Registered
2011 versys 650
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so with the old index being very close and me not carrying any additional weight on the bike then the load index isn't a issue right?
perfect timing for southern Ontario to be getting a ton of rain then, tomorrow were looking at 10-15mm but it was my intention to ride back to the shop regardless of weather

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
As to load index, keep in mind your braking. I don't know how you are going to handle it , usually the front tire wears longer than the rear. Personally I would insist on what was on the receipt .
As to rain, I was up around Creemore yesterday, one of my shorter rides (370 KM) , BUT very tiring with the gusting wind. Got home at 5 and down came the rain for 5 minutes.
Just installed a new battery ( 6 years out of original) and it appears to be the issue with my charging. My Polaris regulator was pumping out lots of amps, as my grips were on 70% and my jacket on 5 .( removed my test wiring and installed the header plug on the Polaris 4016868 )

·
Registered
2011 versys 650
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
right load index plays a large role when it comes to the amount for force applied while braking, I will definitely keep that in mind, thank you for the tip.
I am also definitely going to insist that the tire size in which I ordered is put onto the bike, I rode it home from the shop/ to the bank so that was 21km, I just have this sneaky feeling the shop is going to try and have me buy another front tire because ive driven on it.
that is quite the ride to! beautiful place to ride to. that is great bout solving your issue with your battery, its something id like to look at as well but of course in some good detail to learn and understand the electronic system of the bike and become more familiar with everything on the machine.
your jacket hooks up to your bike to heat it up??!?? that's pretty freaking cool, well hot I should say lol

·
Registered
2014 650 versys
37 Posts
hey everyone! im pretty new to the bike world, have had my Versys for one month now and ive just had new tires installed however the front tire is the wrong size and they put on a 120/60 r17 instead of a 120/70 r17.
ill go back to them and ask about it but im really curious to find something about anyone using that tire size or if that's to small or if it doesn't matter between the two.
first bike and just a bit over cautious on everything and thank you for any help or pointers in the right directions

View attachment 182583
Same thing happened to me. But bigger, just so happened, I had front fender off getting painted, wouldn't fit. Look cool. Like a flat tracker. Rode fine, but got correct one finally, try michelin5s

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are variations in actual measurements between tyres from different manufacturers. It is entirely possible that the tyre you have is actually the same size as the one you had. Or it might be different, but not by much. Don’t get hung up on it unless you find the bike is handling terribly.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
right load index plays a large role when it comes to the amount for force applied while braking, I will definitely keep that in mind, thank you for the tip.
I am also definitely going to insist that the tire size in which I ordered is put onto the bike, I rode it home from the shop/ to the bank so that was 21km, I just have this sneaky feeling the shop is going to try and have me buy another front tire because ive driven on it.
that is quite the ride to! beautiful place to ride to. that is great bout solving your issue with your battery, its something id like to look at as well but of course in some good detail to learn and understand the electronic system of the bike and become more familiar with everything on the machine.
your jacket hooks up to your bike to heat it up??!?? that's pretty freaking cool, well hot I should say lol
If you look at the frame above my compressor , you will see a caped connector, that is the coax connector for the jacket, really great place to mount. I plug in once on the bike and typically don't even think about it dismounting the bike. I put the controller under my map case shock cord on the tank bag.

·
Super Moderator
20,276 Posts
...I am also definitely going to insist that the tire size in which I ordered is put onto the bike, I rode it home from the shop/ to the bank so that was 21km, I just have this sneaky feeling the shop is going to try and have me buy another front tire because ive driven on it....
Don't let them "snow" you - tell them that you saw the WRONG size when you were going over the bike at your garage, BECAUSE you ASSUMED they'd done what you had paid them to do, and NOW you want THEM to fulfill THEIR end of the bargain...!

NO WAY they can insist that YOU make payment for THEIR MISTAKE!

:mad:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts