Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I am 46 years old and I live on the Canadian East Coast.

I Sold my F650GS Dakar and got a used 2017 Versys 300 with 1800 miles on it, it was equipped with Shinko 805/804 tires (my favourite tires), and it also had heated grips.

I have been riding since the age of 11 and owned various motorcycle styles and the Versys 300 is my 9th motorcycle. I was attracted to it because of its size and also that I am inseam challenged at 30 inches, I wanted a light adventure motorcycle and the Versys 300 is just perfect.

Here are the mods that I have done:

- After Market LED Fogs Light with Kawasaki Harness and Kawasaki Fog Light Switch
- T-Rex Crash Bars
- T-Rex Skid Plate
- Adventure Tech Front Fender Riser kit
- Adventure Tech OVER THE DASH GPS/PHONE MOUNT
- Adventure Tech Larger Bolt-on Side Stand Foot
- USB Power Socket
- ABS Override Switch
- Adjustable short Brake and Clutch lever
- Barkbuster VPS Handguards
- All lights replaced with LED and Turn Relay replaced with LED compatible one
- Rewired heated grip to connect with USB Power Socket (Was connected straight to battery)
- Front foot pegs replaced with larger platform ones from eBay
- Emgo Travel Trunk and tail bag for the rear seat.
- 1 inch Gel Insert and foam inserted inside the front seat (Done by Local Automotive upholsterer)

I have purchased the bike on December 24th 2018. Since We still have snow here, I haven't tried the bike as of yet, I am looking forward to taking it out for my first ride, hopefully, very soon.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi Onewizard,

I installed a toggle switch in the dashboard (25 Amp Rated) connected to 12 Gauge wires going down to the fuse box. (I re-used a hole in the side dashboard that the previous owner had already made, not sure for what)
I took apart a Fuse and broke apart the 2 pins.
I soldered each pin at the end of each wire.
On one wire, I installed an inline fuse holder (12 gauge).
I took out the 25 Amp ABS fuse and installed it in the Inline fuse holder
I inserted each wire pins into the fuse box slots where the 25 Amp ABS fuse used to be.
I waterproof the ABS fuse box since the cover won't close anymore.

This way when I go off-road, I can turn the bike off, turn the ABS switch off and re-start the bike, do the reverse once I get back on Tarmac. Please note that I have not tested it on the road as of yet.

·
Premium Member
9,109 Posts
Small World

Welcome from Tottenham, Ontario
Your not too far off one of my frequent runs, From Kitchener I run up through Limehouse , over through Caledon, airport RD towards Creemore, depending if during the week I will go though Honeywood and Terra Nova, weekend I steer clear of both. Most of my rides are 400 to 500 KM round trip.

·
Premium Member
9,109 Posts
ABS Off / Disable

Hi Onewizard,

I installed a toggle switch in the dashboard (25 Amp Rated) connected to 12 Gauge wires going down to the fuse box. (I re-used a hole in the side dashboard that the previous owner had already made, not sure for what)
I took apart a Fuse and broke apart the 2 pins.
I soldered each pin at the end of each wire.
On one wire, I installed an inline fuse holder (12 gauge).
I took out the 25 Amp ABS fuse and installed it in the Inline fuse holder
I inserted each wire pins into the fuse box slots where the 25 Amp ABS fuse used to be.
I waterproof the ABS fuse box since the cover won't close anymore.

This way when I go off-road, I can turn the bike off, turn the ABS switch off and re-start the bike, do the reverse once I get back on Tarmac. Please note that I have not tested it on the road as of yet.
Several of us looked at that back in early 2015 , I looked at adding 2 relays . In the end I gave up as I bought a 07 Versys now have a 2015 Versys and before I came from a DRZ400S , not planning any more off road as around Kitchener there just isn't any , and I say any that is safe nothing like coming around a corner and wiping out, discovering some 4X4 idiot found a piece of plywood 4'X4' and buried int he mud to get out. So here is our early discussion and to my knowledge it didn't go further. You could have easily used 2 relays SPDT and used the normally closed contacts for the ABS. I bought 5 for $20 c/w sockets and wire harness.

Here is the link to that discussion;
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/170-technical-discussion-v-650/73169-abs-off-switch.html?highlight=abs+brakes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts