Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 6'2" the stock windscreen was not working for me so I ordered a PUIG touring screen (5999H) in light smoke. It fit pretty well but I had to put a couple of washers under the adjustment knob so it would not rub against the screen.
First the pics and then a ride report

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SO I just took it out around town and up the highway a few miles and back and BOY what a difference this new screen makes. At the lowest point there was still a little buffeting across the top of my helmet but at the highest setting it was so calm that there was almost no difference in noise with my visor up or down. I wont even need to wear plugs anymore and I actually had to turn down the music in my helmet. I started getting too warm due to lack of air flow. I have since split the difference and have it set right at the middle so we will see where it needs to be after some fine tuning.

A+ on this little gem so far

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks Mydnyte; I am 6'- 1 and raised the seat on my 2015 Versys. I was considering the MRA add on top screen but like the looks of that Puig.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You must have bought the last one. All my sources show out of stock. Did you purchase online or locally?
I bought it on Amazon. Still 2 left for the 2015.
:nerd:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Found it on Amazon. It won't arrive before I leave Monday for a 3 week tour of the Southwest U.S. but will be waiting for me when I return to Canada and really need it this fall. Thanks again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found it on Amazon. It won't arrive before I leave Monday for a 3 week tour of the Southwest U.S. but will be waiting for me when I return to Canada and really need it this fall. Thanks again.
Glad I could help

:grin2:

·
Registered
124 Posts
You must have bought the last one. All my sources show out of stock. Did you purchase online or locally?
I emailed Puig recently about their supply of these touring screens since Revzilla is still out of stock. Their response was that Revzilla would be re-supplied in about three weeks. They recommended motovationusa.com. I just received the Puig screen from them yesterday. I ride a V1000 so I'm not sure if they have them for the 650 but it's worth a try.

Mine's the dark smoke one. I installed it yesterday and it looks great. It's taller than I'll ever need.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can't find it on Amazon, could one of you post the link directly? It might be OOS so not showing up.

I've been thinking about something like this, does it lower top speed or increase wind sway any?

I'd love to raise the seat but I always end up dragging my foot across the thing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can't find it on Amazon, could one of you post the link directly? It might be OOS so not showing up.

I've been thinking about something like this, does it lower top speed or increase wind sway any?

I'd love to raise the seat but I always end up dragging my foot across the thing.

Amazon.com: puig 5999

·
Super Moderator
19,138 Posts
...I'd love to raise the seat but I always end up dragging my foot across the thing.
Learn to do the "KLR shuffle". Right leg held out as close to horizontally as you can, then hop on your left foot towards the bike till your foot is over, then sit.

Another way is to get on from the right, using the footpeg while you hold the front and rear brakes ON and lean across to the left grip, then put your left foot onto its 'peg.

:goodidea:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Learn to do the "KLR shuffle". Right leg held out as close to horizontally as you can, then hop on your left foot towards the bike till your foot is over, then sit.

Another way is to get on from the right, using the footpeg while you hold the front and rear brakes ON and lean across to the left grip, then put your left foot onto its 'peg.

I have a buddy that has to use the left side peg to get on his KLR650 like a cowboy mounting a horse, then when his leg is over he steps back down and kind of hangs there by his knee with his toe on the ground (hopefully)
As for myself, as long as I am not wearing 501's I just swing my leg over my KLR or my vs. (when I still had a KLR that is)

>:)

·
Super Moderator
19,138 Posts
Here's what the GREEN HORNET (my '09) was 'wearing' when I crashed up N.

I plan to 'mod' it to fit the GREEN HORNET TOO. It's originally a Yamaha Majesty 'shield, APPROPRIATELY 'modded'....

:exactly:

·
Registered
55 Posts

Yeah I feel like a ballerino or a pissing dog with my leg straight out. Getting off of the bike is the problem, different angles and stuff, I drag my heel across the rear seat and sometimes have to jump away a bit. I have a 34" inseam so I don't know what's going on.

·
Super Moderator
19,138 Posts
Yeah I feel like a ballerino or a pissing dog with my leg straight out. Getting off of the bike is the problem, different angles and stuff, I drag my heel across the rear seat and sometimes have to jump away a bit. I have a 34" inseam so I don't know what's going on.
I put my left foot down (V on the side stand, OF COURSE...:clap:), then 'hop' away to the left till my foot clears. W/ a 31" inseam, my boot drags across the seat, but this works whether I have camping gear on it, or not....:goodluck:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, I searched for that and other PUIG items but that screen didn't come up, very strange.

I snagged someone's returned screen for $98 that has a 'small 1/4" imperfection.' I guess I'll have to wait two days to see.
Is the imperfection a scratch nearly dead center about 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch perchance?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts