Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I would like to give a big thanks to all of you who I have PM'ed with questions. I am not going to list names but you know who are. I also want to thank all of you for sharing pictures and insight on mods you have done to your respected bike that you might see pictures of in my project. This forum is really great!! Now the project. It is not going to be a fabulous JDrocks build by any means. He is truely amazing. I bought my Versys 3 months ago. It is an 08 with 5000 miles extremely clean and priced VERY resonable IMO. I wanted to try and build a bike that is dirt road/gravel worthy and have good road manners. Adventure touring and not a true single track dirt bike. As many have previously proven can be done. I also wanted to try and build the bike with as little extremely custom parts as possible. Most of the parts you will see I have either ordered from the internet or from someone on this forum (tinner). I have fabricated a few pieces but again nothing to extreme. I received my first wave of parts yesterday and this is what I have done so far. I will post pictures (for those interested) as I add and change as my parts trickle in. This should take no longer than a week. Here it goes!!

Attachments

·
Registered
628 Posts
Looking good. Gotta love the fast RED ones. :)

How about sharing a part # and vendor for that fender? Please! I got an idea that I would like to try with it.

First, I would like to give a big thanks to all of you who I have PM'ed with questions. I am not going to list names but you know who are. I also want to thank all of you for sharing pictures and insight on mods you have done to your respected bike that you might see pictures of in my project. This forum is really great!! Now the project. It is not going to be a fabulous JDrocks build by any means. He is truely amazing. I bought my Versys 3 months ago. It is an 08 with 5000 miles extremely clean and priced VERY resonable IMO. I wanted to try and build a bike that is dirt road/gravel worthy and have good road manners. Adventure touring and not a true single track dirt bike. As many have previously proven can be done. I also wanted to try and build the bike with as little extremely custom parts as possible. Most of the parts you will see I have either ordered from the internet or from someone on this forum (tinner). I have fabricated a few pieces but again nothing to extreme. I received my first wave of parts yesterday and this is what I have done so far. I will post pictures (for those interested) as I add and change as my parts trickle in. This should take no longer than a week. Here it goes!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fender

The fender is Acerbis universal supermoto front fender. Motorcycle superstore is the vender and on sale for 23.99. The bracket is one of the custom parts I have use so far.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The aluminum bracket. Look closely. It looks factory. Machined out of 1/2" material then sandwiched around the fork tubes. Then drilled holes in the aluminum bracket to
attach the fender. I did not drill into anything that is stock on the bike.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed the lower fork guards last night. Very easy to build thanks to Cuff and his great instructions. Took about an hour. Thanks! I changed them just a little bit but the bones are based on his drawing. I also am going to install the lower fork sleeves when I take off the factory wheels to install the new wheels that should show up today. Cant wait!

Also, you can see in the backround the Evotech rad guard. Bought off E-bay. Easy to install.

You can also see the gravel guard in the backround. Bought off of Tinner on the forum. Real solid and very easy to install. Thanks, Tinner!

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The wheels have arrived. The hubs are versys hubs by Radmfg. The wheels are Excel. All laced and trued. Gonna get everything mounted up this afternoon. Sure hope that 19 fits? Looks like it will be a tight fit. We will see.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
The wheels have arrived. The hubs are versys hubs by Radmfg. The wheels are Excel. All laced and trued. Gonna get everything mounted up this afternoon. Sure hope that 19 fits? Looks like it will be a tight fit. We will see.
Who laced them up? How much did it cost? Or did you lace them yourself?

I was thinking about getting the hubs, rims and tires the next time I wore out my set on the alloys.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Snarky, Radmfg laced and tried them. They also manufacture Versys hubs. They did everything. They were 1500.00 for the pair ready to install. Kinda high but hopefully worth it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a bit of information on installing the rear brake rotors for anyone doing this same project. The bolts that hold the rotors in place are to long. I simply cut them off. I first ran die on the bolt till it bottomed. Then cut the bolt to length. Then simply remove the die and the threads are perfect. See pics. Everything else bolted up smooth as silk. Probably took about 30 minutes to take everything off of the stock wheels and mount on the new wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I am finished. All in all it went very smooth. No serious issues. I took a 30 mile maiden voyage and the bike performed perfectly. To early to tell how the 19 will handle along with that wild rear tire but I plan on doing the full scuff in on the tires this weekend consisting of tarmac, gravel, and hard pack dirt. I will have a full report.

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
Well I am finished. All in all it went very smooth. No serious issues. I took a 30 mile maiden voyage and the bike performed perfectly. To early to tell how the 19 will handle along with that wild rear tire but I plan on doing the full scuff in on the tires this weekend consisting of tarmac, gravel, and hard pack dirt. I will have a full report.
Nice, this is the part I've been waiting for when you said you were changing wheels.:thumb:
Are they tubeless and are they lighter than the mags?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks! Couldn't help it I went on a 60 mike jaunt this evening and all I have to say is "wow"! Handled the gravel like is was meant to be there. Not that the 17 was bad but the 19 and these tires were simply awesome. Blasting down the gravel roads!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts