Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

Just rode my Versys-X off of the dealers lot this past Tuesday. Just hit the first 100km on the odo last night! Loving everything so far.

A bit wary about the break-in period, as the engine really seems to chug under 4k rpm in the upper gears, which doesn't feel or sound good for the motorcycle. I'm trying to vary the RPM's a lot, and let the engine do the braking, but 4k rpm in 5th and 6 gear feels so bad..

Also, that friction zone is so damn small. I feel like I'm dumping the clutch almost every time I shift, just by how sensitive that zone is.

My first order of business is to get the 500/800k break in period done as soon as possible, and then re-gear the sprocket on first dealer service. Right now, I can't make it through a turn from a stop without having to shift halfway through the turn - which is just bad practice. The gearing is much too short on the low end. After much debate, I'll either go 15/46 (one up on the front = 3.06), or 14/43 (3 down on the rear = 3.07), which gives me some longer gears. I've noticed that 3.0 or lower gives engine errors and faults to everyone who's tried them. Staying above the 3.0 seems to work - but the options are fairly limited.

Getting excited to finish the break in, throw on a few accessories (ordered the engine guards + ergo fit seat + Top case so far), and do some real riding.

Cheers!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Now would be an EXCELLENT time for you to go through the bike and check simple stuff like bolt torques on the handlebar holders, the front and rear wheel axle nuts, cable (throttle etc) slack (make sure the throttle cable slack is within spec,) and adjust things like the windshield, brake and clutch levers, etc

You can also take this opportunity to move the handlebars up or down, and change the clutch and brake levers to more comfortable positions.

I'd also tighten (or loosen) the fairing fasteners where possible in case the dreaded 'fairing buzz' has started to appear, and make sure that hoses are all in the right place and tight.

a little elbow grease up front can prevent a lot of trouble later on.

The dealers HAVE been known to miss things when the bike was set up. They're people too.

YMMV. Have fun riding!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts
What? All three of your Versyses (is that a word?) broke on the way home? Mine has been as reliable as a wood stove. Oh wait, you mean you broke them in (or ran them in as some say) before you got home. But your dealer is 600 miles away?? >:)0:)>:)0:)
LONGEST distance to that first oil-change was about 50 miles....

(Note to self: RE-READ the ENTIRE post BEFORE selecting SUBMIT REPLY, or... ARION'S gonna get you!)

:wink2:

>:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts