Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
Into the second month of ownership of a 2017 Versys X-300 ABS and found your forum. Happy to learn from other 300 owners as I set out to make some enhancements / improvements to my ride, and hoping to share what works (and what doesn't). Thanks.
Romper

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Loving the little 300, but still getting used to it. Clutch is so light that I find it often hitting the bar during shifts. Did a final (before storage) ride yesterday (below zero with the windchill!) to get the fuel stabilizer worked in. Engine temp hit 3 bars at stoplights then went back to two the rest of the time! Snow on its way later this week. Really noticed the reduction in revs with the 43 tooth rear sprocket in place of the stock 46. Did the sprocket swap at the 1000km checkup / oil change. Revs at 100kph dropped from near 7500 to just over 6900.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgot to mention the sprocket...it's a JT Steel Rear Sprocket 43T (520) - JTR486.43. Have ridden about 120 km since the sprocket change, and no issues (sensors or error codes, etc.) whatsoever.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Glad that you are enjoying your new bike.
I put a 42 tooth rear on mine (14/42 - same as the Ninja 300) and have the rear wheel sensor fault which kills the gear indicator. It sometimes comes right by itself but then faults again later on.
When I can be bothered I will convert to 15/46 = 3.06 gearing which is almost the same as your 14/43 = 3.07. The larger sprockets should be slightly easier on the chain. My present gearing ratio is 3.0

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. Considered a 42 as well but didn't want to chance the sensor fault...decided to change the rear to keep the rubber dampened original front sprocket. So I'm guessing you've been able to drop your revs by a 1000 or so at 100 kph? Must be nice on the highways.
BTW, had a V-Strom 650 for several years...great all round bike, and perfect for 2-up...like a fool, sold it when I didn't ride much for a couple of seasons. The Versys X-300 is somewhat similar, but feels like a super lite version (probably 45 kg less), even though it feels taller and almost as big. Wonder which of the two you ride more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts