Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 2014 Versys 650 ABS with less than 3000 miles. Now if only the weather here in Seattle would cooperate... Planning a long, 11-state ride next month. Looking for a good source for a service manual.

Thanks

SB

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also am considering removing the charcoal canister and will do a search for that info.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi-

Where in the Seattle area are you? I'm located in Brier (south Snohomish County). Picked up a 15 Versys 650LT last fall.

-dm

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Why do you want to remove the charcoal canister? It has no impact on performance or fuel economy. The only time the canister is in any loop is at first start when it is vented to the intake. After that the solenoid closes and all it does is absorb fuel and vapors if the tank overflows.

I removed it from my 2015 as part of figuring out a mixture problem (turned out to be a sneaky cracked vacuum hose). The electrical connector still needs to be plugged into the solenoid valve or else a check engine light illuminates. I capped off the vacuum line and then ran the plumbing to match the non-CA configuration.

The mounting plate for the canister turns out to be a perfect hiding spot for a spare key and to mount the dashcam module. So I've left the canister off.

Your 2014 may or may not be the same configuration as my 2015.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome aboard!

Why do you want to remove the charcoal canister? It has no impact on performance or fuel economy. The only time the canister is in any loop is at first start when it is vented to the intake. After that the solenoid closes and all it does is absorb fuel and vapors if the tank overflows.

I removed it from my 2015 as part of figuring out a mixture problem (turned out to be a sneaky cracked vacuum hose). The electrical connector still needs to be plugged into the solenoid valve or else a check engine light illuminates. I capped off the vacuum line and then ran the plumbing to match the non-CA configuration.

The mounting plate for the canister turns out to be a perfect hiding spot for a spare key and to mount the dashcam module. So I've left the canister off.

Your 2014 may or may not be the same configuration as my 2015.
I primarily want to remove the canister because it interferes with the installation of the crash bars that I have purchased. Not too concerned with performance either way really, but I do know that the canister can cause some issues if it becomes saturated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts