Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I picked up my brand new with 4.7 miles Lime Green 2014 Versys 650 ABS today. It was a smoken deal that I couldn't pass up. It was on sale for $3999 plus $758 for fees, total cost was $4757.
I have been riding for over 40 years and I love to switch bikes every couple of years (drives my wife crazy) :grin2: My last bike was a 1994 Honda Magna 750,the bike before that was a 2003 Kawasaki concours 1000 and the list goes on and on. I know its a sickness right, but man its great to get the feel of a different bike every couple of years and make it your own.
I hope to gain a lot of knowledge on the V while here and maybe throw a couple of cents in once in a while. Thanks and greetings everyone, Herbie

·
Premium Member
16,251 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Hello Herb.

I'm assuming that you bought that bike from Big St. Charles Motorsports.

I work just down the road from them.

Welcome to the forum.

:)

Kevin

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome guys!
Kevin, Yes I bought the bike at Big St. Charles Motorsports from the salesman William. I would recommend him, he did a super job working with me. The place is under construction and a little messy but they have a big friendly staff and a great selection of bikes. Do you have a Versys as well?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kevin, I see you have farkled yours up a bit. I like it!
If you don't mind me asking what kind of windshield do you have?
Also I like your boxes, where did you get them and how did you mount them?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Kevin, I see you have farkled yours up a bit. I like it!
If you don't mind me asking what kind of windshield do you have?
Also I like your boxes, where did you get them and how did you mount them?
Givi D410ST windscreen

Tusk aluminum 27L side cases bolted directly to Givi PL447 side case mounts with the PLX447 kit (must be used when not installing a top case). Note that this also requires you to make a trip to your local hardware store for bolts/nuts/washers/whatever.

See this link

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/11-modifications-cosmetic/114585-givi-plr450-side-case-mount-fitment.html

Motowerks handlebar riser
Motowerks lowering link and side stand flat foot
ktmduals steel rear rack

Whelen TIR3 super bright 24 flash pattern red .... used for auxiliary brake light..... and a couple of LED marker lights from the local truck stop - used for additional running lights. Here's a short Youtube video.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My goodness you've been busy:smile2: You don't have a little KLR blood in you do you? :grin2: You sure have made the bike yours, that's half the fun I think.
I see you upped the front sprocket too, My bike is still too new for me to do that but its usually something I like to do as well. I noticed today when I went for a ride over to St. Charles that at 5000 rpm I was traveling at 67mph. What would it be running at with the new sprocket? About 500 rpm less?

·
Registered
946 Posts
It's probably 300 RPM difference.
On mine with the 16T front, 70mph indicated is actually 71 or 72mph, according to the GPS.

15/16 = 0.9375 for a 6.025% difference.

5,000 rpm x 6.025% = 312.5

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Hello all, I picked up my brand new with 4.7 miles Lime Green 2014 Versys 650 ABS today. It was a smoken deal that I couldn't pass up. It was on sale for $3999 plus $758 for fees, total cost was $4757.
I have been riding for over 40 years and I love to switch bikes every couple of years (drives my wife crazy) :grin2: My last bike was a 1994 Honda Magna 750,the bike before that was a 2003 Kawasaki concours 1000 and the list goes on and on. I know its a sickness right, but man its great to get the feel of a different bike every couple of years and make it your own.
I hope to gain a lot of knowledge on the V while here and maybe throw a couple of cents in once in a while. Thanks and greetings everyone, Herbie
Welcome! You really did get an amazing deal. Let the mod's begin. :)

Don't be afraid to experiment with different suspension settings. The Versys has a wide range of adjustment with adjustable preload and rebound damping at both ends. I find the stock settings a bit harsh but everyone has a different preference. This can make a big difference IMO.

Lots of aftermarket parts available for this bike to customize it for your needs. Don't be afraid to ask questions on this forum as there are lots of helpful and experienced owners who have tried different things. That's the beauty of a forum like this is you get to share the experiences of many different owners and benefit from their successes and failures and the knowledge gained. I know I have benefited greatly from others knowledge on this forum during my ~6 years and two Versys ownership and try and pass on what I have learned as well. If you don't already have one get a rear pit stand and swing arm spools (10mm and cheap on eBay). You can download the factory service manual from this site. See sticked link in tech section. The 2010-2014 manual is a few pages in on that thread.

Happy riding.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks twowheels I appreciate that! The suspension does seem a little stiff to me and I will work on that after the bike breaks in real good.
As far as mods go, I started already with grip buddies and I bought a tail bag from a forum member here. I am thinking about something for the seat next. After about a half hour my tailbone hurts. Now I know there are plenty of seat rebuilders but that takes a lot to make it just right for you then once its on the bike it goes with the bike. I kinda like the idea of this; https://alaskaleather.com/products/pillion-1-sheepskin-buttpad
Once you sell the bike you can put it on the next bike and its supposed to help with the heat as well, win win. Plus its very reasonable.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Welcome! Have fun fine tuning your V to your liking. Lots of adjustment possibilities, check out the suspension setting charts / guidelines in the service manual. From your riding experience you would most likely know this but you won't fully appreciate how well these bikes handle until you get the stock tires off and some proper dual compound sport tour tires. You will be amazed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for that Bayou, actually I went for a long ride today and I was liking the tires pretty much but I do look forward to the dual compound tires when it comes that time. The more I ride this bike the more I like it. Why didn't I know about this bike sooner. It needs a couple of comfort things which can easily be fixed, but there is so much I like about this bike. My first tank of gas netted 57.7 mpg, not too shabby. It only has about 250 miles right now, not quite broke in but I'm going to change the oil and filter tomorrow. I have been on a few forums so I know oil threads have been beat to death then some so I won't add to it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts