Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from rainy Seattle.

I've been away from motorcycles for about 20 years, but a new commute and a (very) patient wife have brought me back to the moto world.

My first bike was a 1980 KZ550; LOVED it, and it made me a Kawi guy.

A search for something bigger and more highway-friendly brought me to a 1981 GS850G. Yeah, it was a great highway bike but its bulk, a hilariously mismatched Vetter Quicksilver fairing (bringing wet weight close to 600lbs) and a horrible wrenching experience swore me off Suzukis for life, until...

...a couple months ago, when I started my new moto search. All signs pointed to the SV650 until I realized I'd need a fairing here in the Pacific Northwest, and the SV650s had clipons--a no go for an old fart in his mid 40s.

So I started looking at V-Strom 650s. I test rode one; nice bike, but it felt like a cross between a two-wheeled Subaru and a loaded porteur bicycle.

Then I read about Ninja 650s; I test-rode one and liked how easy it was to ride (and I liked the riding position), but it felt too much like a toy to me. (Apologies in advance to the Ninja folks out there; I'd probably have been perfectly happy on one.)

Which brings me to the Versys, which I wrote off for cosmetic reasons. (I don't like the looks of the '08-'09 version.) But I found and rode a 2010 bike, which instantly felt right: not as boat-like as the V-Strom, not as toy-like as the 650R--and brought it home.

The funny thing about all this is that on paper the KZ550 and the Versys are remarkably close: similar curb weight, similar wheelbase, similar power-to-weight ratio (very different saddle height). But I'll be more than happy to ride something with a more flexible engine, better brakes, fuel injection (hooray!), better highway legs and some weather protection. So it's all a win.

Happy to be here!

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This one has about 4500 miles on it. Kind of an odd mystery; the PO was the second owner, and only rode it about 1000 miles before he sold it to me. But it looks like it was fitted out for some kind of adventure. Does anybody on the forum recognize a low-mileage black ‘10 with SW Motech engine guards, Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires, a Givi Monokey top case rack, Pivot Pegz and a Calsci windscreen?

If so I’m dying to know its story. What had this thing been up to before me?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Welcome (back)! The Versys is the bike that got me back on two wheels after a seven year hiatus. Two years later and still lovin' it.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Welcome from San Antonio, Texas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts