Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been lurking and posting on this forum now for a while but just became an actual Versys owner today.

Had the winning bid on a very slightly used (1700miles) 08 on Ebay. Now for the RIV paperwork to bring it home to Nova Scotia.

Looking for advice on what tip over protection to install as well as any other recommended modifications.

Also what is the best way to work on the bike? I've never owned a bike without a center stand before - purchase rear stand or motorcycle jack?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
For a rear stand, you'll need a set of 10mm spools for the swingarm. If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby, they sell a neat little aluminum stand for $50.

I use Hepco-Becker engine guards and am happy with them.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
For a rear stand, you'll need a set of 10mm spools for the swingarm. If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby, they sell a neat little aluminum stand for $50.

I use Hepco-Becker engine guards and am happy with them.

Heres a photo with the stand,spools and crash bars he's talking about for a visual reference..

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've been lurking and posting on this forum now for a while but just became an actual Versys owner today.

Had the winning bid on a very slightly used (1700miles) 08 on Ebay. Now for the RIV paperwork to bring it home to Nova Scotia.

Looking for advice on what tip over protection to install as well as any other recommended modifications.

Also what is the best way to work on the bike? I've never owned a bike without a center stand before - purchase rear stand or motorcycle jack?
Hey Sprocket, well done!

I also just bought a Versys. A couple of my earlier bikes didnt have a centerstand, both were dual sports, too bad the Versys is without. Really, no road going "standard" bike like the Versys should be w/o a centerstand.

A rear paddock stand and spools will make lubing and adjusting the chain easier though not essential. BTW I just started to use Dupont Teflon Multi Lube on the Chain...very little 'fling'.

My first farkles are a fender extender and hugger as I ride gravel/dirt roads as well as pavement (pyramid plastics UK and skidmarks UK both via; streetfightersbydesign.com.)

I'm thinking steel braded front brake lines and better pads should be the next improvement...stopping is good...that is maybe the most significant improvement you can make unless you ride dirt roads where less stopping is sometimes also 'ok'.

I havent bought tip-over bars for a very long time. If you are lucky enough.. just stay on the pegs, I'm not sure crash bars will buy you anything but a bent bike depending on your insurance. Also the parrallel twin isn't exposed, I would think the side fairings and handelbars would take most of a low speed drop. Hope we never find out. Shiny side up.

T

·
Registered
273 Posts
Grab this at Crappy tire, http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/Powersports/ComfortConvenience/PRD~0279360P/Sport%2BBike%2BStand.jsp?locale=en can't beat the price and it works great for the Versys. I store my bike for winter and use it for oilchanges. It includes all the necessary hardware. You can even put the bike up yourself if you're carefull.

For accessories Twisted Throttle is a great source and if you call them to order they give you a good deal on delivery as well. Try not to use UPS.

Congrats on the purchase.

The rides around Halifax are awesome as I am sure you already know.

Vlast

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
If you get a front stand, the type that engages the hollow steering stem is best because it doesn't interfere with servicing the fork legs. The Versys requires a 27mm pin to engage the stem.

·
Super Moderator
19,121 Posts

My information is that the H-B guards are NOT available, but the SW-Motechs ARE, and, while I have H-Bs on my '08, the '09 will have SWs once they arrive in about a week. Other 'tip-over' protection - get a set of handguards (mine are Zetas on both), and DallasDon makes a NICE centerstand.
Enjoy your "V"!
:goodluck:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Grab this at Crappy tire, http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/Powersports/ComfortConvenience/PRD~0279360P/Sport%252BBike%252BStand.jsp?locale=en can't beat the price and it works great for the Versys. I store my bike for winter and use it for oilchanges. It includes all the necessary hardware. You can even put the bike up yourself if you're carefull.

For accessories Twisted Throttle is a great source and if you call them to order they give you a good deal on delivery as well. Try not to use UPS.

Congrats on the purchase.

The rides around Halifax are awesome as I am sure you already know.

Vlast
A Canadian source for many of the SWMotech parts is A Vicious Cycle. Personally, I'd try them first.

Dave C

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome Sprocket! Cute Avatar picture
This is a picture of the Piltdown Cave Biker. Archaeologists discovered the cave drawing on a cave wall in Arizona in the early 1990's. It's discovery set the Archaeology and Anthropology world on fire. It lead many emanate scholars to reconsider the early life of Native Americans in the late stone age period. They theorized that a crude facsimile of the modern motorcycle, as depicted in the cave drawing, was used to hunt buffalo and the woolly mammoth. It was thought to predate the horse, which were not brought to North America until post 1492 by the Spanish conquest of what is now Mexico. It is thought to even predate the design of the Harley Sportster. Power to drive the stone wheel at the rear was thought to come from one or more small animals on a treadmill contained within. The Pildown Cave Biker was later proved to be a hoax when a chemical analysis of the cave wall revealed it was drawn in marker rather than the expected charcoal. :)

·
Super Moderator
19,121 Posts
This is a picture of the Piltdown Cave Biker. Archaeologists discovered the cave drawing on a cave wall in Arizona in the early 1990's. It's discovery set the Archaeology and Anthropology world on fire. It lead many emanate scholars to reconsider the early life of Native Americans in the late stone age period. They theorized that a crude facsimile of the modern motorcycle, as depicted in the cave drawing, was used to hunt buffalo and the woolly mammoth. It was thought to predate the horse, which were not brought to North America until post 1492 by the Spanish conquest of what is now Mexico. It is thought to even predate the design of the Harley Sportster. Power to drive the stone wheel at the rear was thought to come from one or more small animals on a treadmill contained within. The Pildown Cave Biker was later proved to be a hoax when a chemical analysis of the cave wall revealed it was drawn in marker rather than the expected charcoal. :)
:funnypost:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts