Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm currently riding a BMW R1100RT. Although perhaps "riding" is a stretch. "Maintaining"? "Wrenching"? Or worse, "U-hauling"? Those would be more accurate.

So, if excessive maintenance time is the question, I hope that a 2012 Versys is the answer. Just waiting on it to join me in PA. I'm going to miss the BMW riding community. I'm not going to miss my BMW that much - as amazing as it is while it's moving, there were far too many days where it wasn't.

About me: 40, married, over-educated and about to get even more so, underpaid, work in higher ed (take my courses, please!), well-travelled, too little time in the day, and IBA member.

Which I hope the Versys will be good for, too.

Ride safe, everyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I suspect I'll be farkling my Versys for touring relatively soon.

The BMW - all credit to the boys from Bavaria - was an amazing mile-eater. An IBA SS1k was a piece of cake on the RT. Not to mention 90% of a Great Lakes Challenge, although the remaining 10% (which stuck me in the middle of nowhere, in the rain, in the dark) is what's motivating the change. This wasn't the first breakdown in the dark, either. (The RT appears to break down almost exclusively in the rain, and almost exclusively in the dark. Funny that.)

I had a Trans-Canada Gold attempt scheduled this year (now pushed off for 1 year), so I'll probably farkle up and ride a few endurance runs to "break in" the Versys before the end of the year. A couple of SS1K's, absolutely; maybe a BBG or a rematch with the Great Lakes Gold/Great Lakes Challenge. And a late-season rally or three. You know, the usual.

If anyone wants to pick up their IBA plateback, I'd be glad to ride a saddlesore with you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
First of all :welcome: Referring to your original post you might find the Versys boring, it just goes and usually the rider has a huge smile.

Thanks guys. I suspect I'll be farkling my Versys for touring relatively soon.

The BMW - all credit to the boys from Bavaria - was an amazing mile-eater. An IBA SS1k was a piece of cake on the RT. Not to mention 90% of a Great Lakes Challenge, although the remaining 10% (which stuck me in the middle of nowhere, in the rain, in the dark) is what's motivating the change. This wasn't the first breakdown in the dark, either. (The RT appears to break down almost exclusively in the rain, and almost exclusively in the dark. Funny that.)

I had a Trans-Canada Gold attempt scheduled this year (now pushed off for 1 year), so I'll probably farkle up and ride a few endurance runs to "break in" the Versys before the end of the year. A couple of SS1K's, absolutely; maybe a BBG or a rematch with the Great Lakes Gold/Great Lakes Challenge. And a late-season rally or three. You know, the usual.

If anyone wants to pick up their IBA plateback, I'd be glad to ride a saddlesore with you.


I understood unreliable BMW .... and that's about it. No idea what the rest of your post means BBG? SS1K's? IBA plateback? Ride a saddlesore?
Think I need an american translator. :usa:
:confused::huh::feedback::dgi::blah::grinangel:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's just long distance-speak.

IBA = Iron Butt Association. The certifying body and community for long distance riding.
BBG = Bun burner gold. 1500 miles in 24 hours. Arguably the hardest IBA-certified ride.
SS1k/Saddlesore = Saddlesore 1000. 1000 miles in 24 hours. Arguably the easiest IBA-certified ride. It's the entry level, and gets you one of these....
Plateback: A piece of plastic that fits behind your license plate, with the IBA copy peeking out below or above. https://www.ibaestore.com/products.asp?MainCatID=1&CategoryID=9&

Good for horrifying non-riders and scaring casual riders. :)

Dealership is now hemming and hawing about the Versys - shipping isn't included in the purchase price now, where I have an email trail saying that yes, it is, and I really don't want to pay the extra $500, if it's ok with you. Facepalm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And now the motorcycle is not on the way - either they have seller's remorse, or the bike has a salvage title (which is not recorded in the NMVIS, btw). Money credited back to my card.

They could have saved me a lot of trouble by just being upfront. Or honest. Avoid The Car Company of Warsaw, Indiana like the plague - they're willing to take your money and then back out of the deal, or bait and switch. Neither one is good.

Need to find another Versys to ride now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
And now the motorcycle is not on the way - either they have seller's remorse, or the bike has a salvage title (which is not recorded in the NMVIS, btw). Money credited back to my card.

They could have saved me a lot of trouble by just being upfront. Or honest. Avoid The Car Company of Warsaw, Indiana like the plague - they're willing to take your money and then back out of the deal, or bait and switch. Neither one is good.

Need to find another Versys to ride now.
That's kind of how the mc dealers in LA drum up a little business:they advertise a picture of popular bike at a real good price. But usually they will bs around while you are on the phone, and then tell you it's sold. I think they want for you to come to the shop to pick one of their non-moving used dud's after they tell you it's gone.

After shops get loaded up with used lemons that don't move, I guess they have to get inventive: it just wastes serious buyer's time - too bad you can't charge them $25/hr! STICK w/ Craigslist if you have cash, and go through the routine of systemically filtering bikes weekly, daily if possible in the closest big city (unless you want to pay for a man-month's dead-weight overhead labor at the dealer :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They actually took my money and scheduled a driver delivery date - I even spoke with the driver, in fact. That's well beyond a loss-lead or low-price ad. The Car Company had no possibility of getting me physically in the door (Warsaw, Indiana is a long way from Bethlehem, Pennsylvania) and you actually have to make contact if you want to up-sell. I even turned down an awesome price on an 09 with a R title in order to make this deal happen. Very disappointed in them.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top