Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had it delivered a week ago and had a spill on day 2.. The bike suffered a couple scrapes and a broken stay for my left peg.Repaired the stay on Friday and riding ever since. This is my first bike. I found out about frame sliders after I had my spill. I'm having a ball on my VERSYS. The say everyone has at least one spill. I hope that was my one and only, and I got it out of the way early :} Later...

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Good attitude & great first post! Yea, I guess everybody goes down one way or another. At least you got it done right away & won't be worrying about when it'll happen for the first time. Of course, don't get too cocky, with bikes, sometimes lightning strikes twice...:D:D

:welcome::yeahsmile::clap:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The more I reflect, I think as in most crashes and falls it was a combination of things. When the bike was delivered, they told me the tires needed to be broken in because they're new and can be slippery. I road the bike on day on in my area with no problems. The next day I was going to visit my folfs in Philly and was around the corner from their house, waiting on a light. The light changed, I started off slow on a left turn and the rear wheel slid under me. Reflecting back, I'm wondering if those new gloves, with the leather palms that help to keep the throttle from slipping, may have gripped the throttle without me being aware of it. It was a big surpise, and I'm not cocky at all, more alert I hope. Later..
:)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Great attitude to sit down and reflect on your small spill. I ride alot on the track and I'm amazed how often some people crash. They always blame something. My last crash was 2003 and I really took a hard look at myself and guess what; it was MY fault.

One thing I learned about beginners when teaching the MSF course. Lots pull in the clutch with the throttle still open. This causes the engine to race and new riders are startled. In their mind, pulling in the clutch caused the engine to race so the quickly let out the clutch causing the rear to spin. I always made it a point to tell riders, "if you hear the engine racing don't react, take a second, think and roll off the throttle before doing anything else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Less than 500 miles and caught a nail in the rear tire. Plugged it. I was told to replace the tire. I can't quite rap my mind around that so soon, I just broke the tire in. Any suggestions!!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Less than 500 miles and caught a nail in the rear tire. Plugged it. I was told to replace the tire. I can't quite rap my mind around that so soon, I just broke the tire in. Any suggestions!!!!
+1 on the replace the tire advise - it's also a chance to try something different

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have'nt bought a new tire yet, still running on the plug 600 miles later... I like the Michelin Anakee above. They do look nice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had another spill on my bike last year. Old lady tried to take me out. Thank god I took the safety course. If I didn't give myself that safety cushion in the first place, she would have hit me. Well when I put the bike in the shop for repairs I finally got that new tire, almost 3000 miles with a plug.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you get a new tire, I'll pay the shipping to take the plugged tire for me.

(EDIT) crap, just looked at the date, and the later posts, he ran that tire, just like I would have.....

·
Premium Member
7,875 Posts
Take your time and break in the Bike and the tire, then you decide whether changing the tires is your direction. I changed to BT106-Bridgestone as I was not comfortable with stock tires after 1000Km.
Glad you are Ok on your first Spill.
ATGATT and ride safe.
NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING WHEN ON A BIKE, IT MAKES A ASS OUT OF YOU AND ME.( ASS U ME ).

:cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts