Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tyres on my 2010 are not inspiring in the wet and I dont have confidence in the front end is there a better choice than dulop sportmax

·
Registered
419 Posts
Short answer:

Lots of discussion; a search will tell you more than I can. Tires people seem to like so far (I'm still on the originals):

Michelin Pilot Road 2
Dunlop RoadSmart (mixed feelings on this one, though)
Bridgestone Battlax BT023
Avon Distanzia (for more dual-sport-ish riding)
Metzeler Z6

The Avon Storm 2 is specifically designed for wet roads, but I haven't seen much discussion about it on this forum.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I like my Pilot Roads. More of a sport touring tire than the Road2ct and handles water well.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
I like my Pilot Roads. More of a sport touring tire than the Road2ct and handles water well.
The Pilot Road 2CT is a sport touring tire. Not only do I have them on the Versys (and love them), but the service manager at my local dealer has them on his ZX-14 and that's a pretty sporty ride. He got 10,000 miles on them before he changed them up and I have about 12,000 on mine with at least a couple of thousand miles still left on them. Yes, I commute a lot, but weekends I do lean the bike over a lot and was never called slow by anyone I know...:D

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'm on my 4th set, stock, Conti Road Attacks, Pilot Power and now Dunlop Road Smarts.

Other than the stock, they are all much the same in my view, they all lasted between 4-5k miles. All had good handling in the wet for me, but I'm very conservative in the wet!

If I had to rank them, Pilot Power, but lowest tread life, then RS, which I'll probably buy again. Because of their profile you get a smaller 'chicken' strip and it looks like you are a more aggressive rider, but I think that's in the mind;-). The dual compound is lasting quite well, they'll probably be my mileage leader out of the 4 types.

Machog

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've liked Avon Storms on every bike I've tried them on. Long wearing and relatively grippy. When my stock Dunlops are toast I'll be putting on Storms.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'm on my 4th set, stock, Conti Road Attacks, Pilot Power and now Dunlop Road Smarts.

If I had to rank them, Pilot Power, but lowest tread life, then RS, which I'll probably buy again. Because of their profile you get a smaller 'chicken' strip...
The tire profile had nothing to do with it (and I'm not sure it's that different anyway). If you hadn't been chasing those SoCal guys all over the San Bernardino Mountains, you'd have the same chicken strips on the RS as on previous bikes... ;)

Good tire, BTW. I had those on the Versys last summer, and they were pretty good. I changed to Avon Storm Ultra which are also proving to be a pretty good choice, despite some reviews that didn't rank them so high as other options. Probably goes to prove the point that most decent Sport Touring tires have much higher limits than most riders give them credit.

Gustavo

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've liked Avon Storms on every bike I've tried them on. Long wearing and relatively grippy. When my stock Dunlops are toast I'll be putting on Storms.
I had Avon's on my FZ1. Nice tires, espcially compared to the OEM Dunlops. I prefer the Pilot Road 2CT's, however. Longer lasting, grip is great and ride quality is much improved as well. Yes, it costs more than an Avon or Dunlop, but in this case you get what you pay for...

·
Registered
582 Posts
I had Avon's on my FZ1. Nice tires, espcially compared to the OEM Dunlops. I prefer the Pilot Road 2CT's, however. Longer lasting, grip is great and ride quality is much improved as well. Yes, it costs more than an Avon or Dunlop, but in this case you get what you pay for...
Do you think these are better than the Roads? I was under the impression the 2ct's might wear quicker with the diff compounds than the Roads.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Do you think these are better than the Roads? I was under the impression the 2ct's might wear quicker with the diff compounds than the Roads.
I think the 2CT's are the only roads available now. So far the wear on the tires are very, very good and I haven't seen the 2 compounds causing any issues at all...

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
BT 106 Battlax. Bridgestone. stick like a rail, much better then the OEM stock rubber. Good on both dry and wet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts