Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The "perfect storm" of an aging Mom and our snowflake society's "panic first, think last" reaction to the Chinese Corona Virus left me hastily closing up my home in south Texas and making a cross country speed run to New Hampshire with only the contents of my pick-up truck. Of course, this meant "sans motorcycle".

I have been looking for a small, highway capable motorcycle that is light enough to comfortably be toted on a Class III hitch mount carrier for some time to no avail. It seems that most used small multi-cylinder motorcycles have been run hard and put away wet. Over the last couple of weeks I've looked at several bikes, none worth buying. A couple of weeks ago I saw an advert in the local supermarket rag for a 2018 Kawasaki with 5K miles for $5000. No model or other information. I called several times leaving messages but no return call. After many tries, I called on Sunday morning and by chance got the owner on the phone who said the bike was bought for his son to learn to ride and once his son got his license he bought a Harley and the Kawasaki has set ever since. We set a time to come see it and he warned me it likely wouldn't start as it had been sitting for over a year.

I arrive to see the bike and it's in the driveway all shiny and clean. It's a Versys X-300. The owner tells me it wouldn't start so he had his son trailer it to the local Kawasaki shop and had a new battery installed. The bike looks like it just came off the showroom floor and I notice that the mileage isn't 5K but 500 miles. I ride the X-300 up and down the street a couple of times and was tight like new. We get talking and he shows me the title and a receipt for the 500 mile service. We get talking price and agree on $3600 for it. I call a buddy with a motorcycle shop who checks the VIN to see if it's stolen and checks to see if it has a service history with Kawasaki (just the initial sale service and the 500 mile service). So money and titles are exchanged and he even lends me his utility trailer to take it home.

I stop at my buddy's shop on the way home and he files the title for me and puts 30 day plates on it and I'm on the road!

To get a decent deal on a bike it just takes ca$h in your pocket and patience.

-TechScott.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Congratulations on the nice find, that was a great deal, basically a brand new bike. As far as hauling it on a hitch hauler, the X-300 works perfectly. I have a trailer, but wanted something else to haul the bike on and about a month ago I went with a 600 lb rated hitch hauler. After I first got it set up, I found out quickly that it was a PIA to push it up the ramp by yourself, I quickly discovered that its pretty easy to walk it up standing next to the bike under its own power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.