Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Must have's?

Livein Georgia. Besides a helmet, what are the "must haves" for daily commuting to work on a motorcycle?

Thanks-

·
Premium Member
16,218 Posts
:welcome: "Must Haves" hmmmm "Everything":D:D:D

·
Registered
601 Posts
Most of us here would recommend ATGATT "all the gear, all the time". This includes gloves, jacket, pants, and over the ankle boots, in addition to the helmet.

Personally, I wear overpants on any ride not across town. I should wear protective pants even on my across town trips, but I don't, I'm taking a risk. Jeans on their own are useless. I prefer to wear my Sidi motorcycle boots. They offer better protection than my Docs, although the Docs I can wear at work too. I have an airbag jacket (Hit-Air, you can get them online at Safermoto.com). I wouldn't leave on any ride without it. I also routinely wear earplugs on any rides not just across town. The wind noise in the helmet will damage your hearing, and fatigue you faster. Earplugs are an often overlooked piece of safety equipment.

If you're looking for entry level gear, try Cyclegear's "Bilt" brand. It's affordable, and it'll work, but it's not the best quality.

In Georgia, I'm guessing you'll want some mesh gear for the summer. I don't know what your winters are like, but you might need two sets of gear.

:welcome: Ride safe and have fun!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Ceewilli
As an Atlanta rider here is my 2 cents.
For summer. I wear mesh jacket, gloves, full face helmet, boots, jeans.
Winter I have solid jacket, gauntlet gloves, over pants, boots and full face helmet. I add the liners as needed.
Winter riding must have is some form of hand guards to block the wind. Without this the 30 degrees really bites into the hands.

Rain gear - I don't have any cause I hate riding in rain.

Watch out for the other drivers. HOV lane is great to ride in. Get the peachpass if you live in gwinnett. :goodluck:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Livein Georgia. Besides a helmet, what are the "must haves" for daily commuting to work on a motorcycle?

Thanks-
Awesome news. Must haves for me are an all seasons jacket (for summer, winter and rain) that has decent armour in shoulders, elbows and if possible a back protector. Check out Ixon Gallium, my commuter jacket of choice. Also some decent boots such as Alpinestars SMX 5 waterproofs although there are loads of similar boots on the market. Draggin Jeans or similar jeans lined with kevlar cloth (I've come off in them and they work), and some gloves with decent protection. Maybe a couple of pairs depending on the season.
Also, some throw over rain gear for when it's torrential and you just have to get there. Motodry sets cost about 60-80 bucks and you can store them in a backpack, seat bag or wherever.
Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
:welcome: I'll save the particulars, just get some protective riding gear that will take the rash instead of your skin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts