Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to keep it as short as I can, I love this bike and I can get long winded... Anyway, Saturday I picked up a 2008 Versys with only 7800 (now 8000) miles on it. The owner was a machinist who got it cheap off a retired farmer who bought it new and decided it wasn't for him. It's been maintained fantastic, a few road (usual chip here or there, all minor> and shop scars (while changing the spark plugs this winter, he lost control of it on it's stands, scuffing a handlebar weight, tweaking the bars a bit <I couldn't tell when picking it up and riding two hundred miles in crazy wind and rain, he'd bent them back in place but still gave me $50 off for not replacing them> and a little scuff of the plastic faring if you look close). Otherwise the bike looks about as showroom as one can get. I feel I "stole" it for 3700.

First my glowing praise, WOW, is this bike fantastic! The ride and balance and feel are beyond anything I've ridden. High wind, torrential rain, no problem. Dry road, tight corners, all I could think was the bike was disappointed I didn't take them faster. My first bike was a 1971 Honda 450, and with that bike at speed I felt I was more trying to hang on than ride it (though I still love the bike, it's just best suited as a town commuter over a mile putting on bike, if anyone has ever ridden one, or the many like it of Honda's ilk, they are awesome but tough on the bottom).

My questions, the bike came to me with only one "Versys" sticker on the right side. No Kawasaki on either and no Versys on the left. Is this normal or was she laid down with replacement panels? The bike rides true as can be, so if laid down, nothing on the frame was bent. Second question would be bags. Anyone with experience on the Givi e21 hardbags? I've googled and read what I could, but of course would love a rode tested opinion (also the best mounting system).

Finally, any other advice a newbie Versys owner should know? I've read around the forum while going through the buying process, but it is vast and I might have missed a good tidbit.

Thanks all, Versys rocks!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
:welcome: and comgrats! :thumb: V is a fun bike it is really comfortable. I sold my honda right away as it was not even comparable for comfort and not even close for fun factor. That was a 750 Honda Shadow.

I have a v-2010 Kawa Versys is both sides? You got a great buy! Keep your chain oiled! Rubber down! :thumb::goodluck:

·
Registered
623 Posts
:welcome:

sounds like it might have a replacement panel, but you never know. Look carefully at the fasteners the panel attaches to. They may have some tell tale bending in them.

I'd suggest searching the forum (use advanced search and search only titles) for the word 'debadging'. Many have simply removed the decals, while others have put different stickers on... mine says 'DUCATI' ;)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Hi Arrgh, and welcome. Congrats on the bike.

My Versys, like many, has been de-badged (and re-badged). You'll see lots about it here:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424&highlight=debadging

I have the Givi E21s, mounted on Givi racks. They are very economical, costing considerably less than other hard cases. I really like the top opening feature. They are smaller than most other cases, but I find they still have plenty of room for all of my daily driver needs and I have a dry-bag tail bag I use if I need more cargo to travel. They are secure, waterproof and solid too. I had a drop on the left side in a gravel lot a few weeks ago where my kickstand wasn't set as I hoped off. the bike landed on the left bar end and the Givi case in the gravel, putting a few scuffs on the case's corner, but no other damage.

You can search around here for lots on side cases. This thread has some good info, and pics. Good luck.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3112&highlight=post+bags

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all, I got to spend a few hundred more miles with my Versys this weekend (right now it lives at my parents 100 miles away, so I have visitation rights, though my Harley owning dad is loving riding it in the interim). One thing I noticed prior and reaffirmed this weekend on the bike I would like different would be for the brake pedal to be bigger or less tucked into the bike, Any advice on this kind of modification? On my last bike for the small pedals we did a cut and weld job on the shifter to make it longer for my big feet, is that the only option on the Versys or are there after market brake pedals to choose from? Thanks all!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, and as to the debadging/crashed question I had, I checked everything out, and nothing was bent. Not only that, but most bolts on the bike look unmolested by wrenches. Also, the "Versys" that is on the bike is white, is that a color that came from the factory since I mostly see black in pictures? If they don't, it seems possible I have one that someone was quarter converting over to white badging?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Great info in this thread as I salivate over my pending V purchase!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts