Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just pick up a 2008 Versys 650 yesterday and figured I'd join the forum.

About me: I live in Washington, DC and will use the Versys primarily for urban assault, general transportation, and weekend escapes.
I also have a 94 VS800 cruiser (Nice outside the city)

and a 91' CB250 Nighthawk custom project lightweight city bike toy (Nice inside the city)

:blah:
Basically I'm addicted to buying, riding and working on motorcycles. My goal is to replace both of these bike with the Versys.

About the Versys: Its a 2008 with 13,500 miles. The previous owner installed a Penske Rear Shock, Stainless Steel Braided Brake lines, D-Flex Handguards, a Seat Concepts Seat, H&B Crashbars, and a few other tasteful mods. I just need to replace the tires; so i'll be searching the site for rubber recommendations.

I have basically no seat time on the bike beyond a very short test ride. My initial impressions are that the bike is quite tall, sorta heavy and at very low speeds the front brake seems very touchy causing the frontend to dive. I look forward to putting some miles on the bike, getting comfortable, and having fun.

Here's the best pic I have so far.

Cheers, -Pete

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welcome, nice collection but you will come to love the Versys. Going to keep her grey or are you thinking about going back to the original red or another color? Any choice is a good one.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Touche'

Yea, the PO didn't like the flashy red. The black/gray paint is kinda ratty, but i honestly like it ... especially since nice looking bikes in DC get stolen fairly quick. I've already heard of a few missing this season and it's only March! ugh...

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Touche'

Yea, the PO didn't like the flashy red. The black/gray paint is kinda ratty, but i honestly like it ... especially since nice looking bikes in DC get stolen fairly quick. I've already heard of a few missing this season and it's only March! ugh...
Sounds like a good plan to keep it from standing out by looking flashy. It also helps that, although a very good all around bike, it is rather unfortunate looking. Not a bad thing given that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Still, let the local light fingers focus on the flashy bikes.

Oh yes - welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. If anything I'll retouch/polish the paint.

I just ordered some tires. Went with Michelin PR3's after a lot of research.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

Basically I'm addicted to buying, riding and working on motorcycles. My goal is to replace both of these bike with the Versys.

About the Versys: Its a 2008 with 13,500 miles. The previous owner installed a Penske Rear Shock, Stainless Steel Braided Brake lines, D-Flex Handguards, a Seat Concepts Seat, H&B Crashbars, and a few other tasteful mods. I just need to replace the tires; so i'll be searching the site for rubber recommendations.

I have basically no seat time on the bike beyond a very short test ride. My initial impressions are that the bike is quite tall, sorta heavy and at very low speeds the front brake seems very touchy causing the frontend to dive. I look forward to putting some miles on the bike, getting comfortable, and having fun.

Here's the best pic I have so far.

Cheers, -Pete
:welcome:

Great looking bike and nice options. A lot of great members here have loaded options from 2008 up, and makes it easy for newbies to shop smart. You've got most of them and the best ones too.

I'd like to see some better pics. The red is a particular nice color, but I haven't seen a bad color yet: and I'd sure like to see your gray color better when you get a chance.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, yea the bike is setup pretty well; it was definitely a big selling point for me.

I'll take some better pictures next time I play with it. I still need to register/insure it and mount new tires before any real riding. Hopefully all that will be taken care of this week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts