Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got drenched in a cloud bust, about 4 to 5 inch of rain on the road, tires worked great no issues at all. My wife riding on her X300 said my tires were cutting a clear path through the water.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good to hear they did the job in the rain. The factory tyres where a bit slippery in the cold rain

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used Conti TA2 tyres on my Moto Guzzi Stelvio for 5 years and never had a problem with them. I'd say they were as good as PR4 tyres in the wet. I never felt the need to try different tyres, but then I never took that beast any further off road than a gravel farm track!

Cheers
Alfie

·
Registered
2019 Versys x300
63 Posts
Good to hear they did the job in the rain. The factory tyres where a bit slippery in the cold rain
I rode in rain on stock tires. No issues...but...I weight 270 +gear, so rider who is 100-150 for example with no side cases and gear might have totally different experience with the same tires...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've just changed the tires on our two X300's from the factory ones to Continental Attack 2 tires.
Increased the sizes from 100 to 110 and 130 to 140, I hope to get a ride this weekend.
Latest update, just changed our tires ( both X300s) to Mitas E07 tires, the tires are for both tube and tubeless rims.
Front=110 , Back =140.

Attachments

·
Registered
Vx300 Embrace the Revs!
197 Posts
I went with a set of Avon Trailriders. Rear is a radial with a harder compound in the center. Side grip is outstanding, as is wet weather performance-better than any tire I’ve run in 40 yrs. Smooth and quiet operation. Zero wandering going over rain grooves on the interstate. Rear end breaks away a little easier than stock on dirt roads, which I consider a plus. Hooks up well otherwise. I haven’t done off-roading. My local Triumph dealer ordered them in and mounted/balanced them a few days later. We’ll see how they last. I expect longer than stock, which I got 7500 miles out of.

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
I went with a set of Avon Trailriders. Rear is a radial with a harder compound in the center. Side grip is outstanding, as is wet weather performance-better than any tire I’ve run in 40 yrs. Smooth and quiet operation. Zero wandering going over rain grooves on the interstate. Rear end breaks away a little easier than stock on dirt roads, which I consider a plus. Hooks up well otherwise. I haven’t done off-roading. My local Triumph dealer ordered them in and mounted/balanced them a few days later. We’ll see how they last. I expect longer than stock, which I got 7500 miles out of.
I like the look of those. They look perfect for the roads I ride.

·
Registered
Vx300 Embrace the Revs!
197 Posts
Turn in is a bit quicker than stock. Bike falls into turns nicely with total confidence while leaning over. I had a set of new irc inner tubes put in them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I swapped out for some Michelin Anakee Adventures for my road trip. Got about 800 miles so far and they're doing great on the road. So far they're good on wet roads too, haven't been caught in the rain yet on these, and no dirt so far, but that will change soon.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
there are many nice tires to choose from. Metzeler Tourance here, stock size. I run tubeless on alloy rims. they are great and last long time. there is hardly any wear after 12k k. and they behave great in rain. we get plenty of rain here, in Thailand.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
there are many nice tires to choose from. Metzeler Tourance here, stock size. I run tubeless on alloy rims. they are great and last long time. there is hardly any wear after 12k k. and they behfsdave great in rain. we get plenty of rain here, in Thailand.
Hi Kris. I'm your neighbor over in Vietnam. I recently bought a 2020 X300 and so for I've had trouble finding parts... and tires. I'd like to replace them as they are stock with 12k+ kms. Do you have any tips for locating parts/tires for a fellow SE Asia Versys rider? Do you know any reliable sites that operate in this part of the world?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I like those Metzelers which leads to my next question. On all my previous bikes I've never had to be concerned with Tube or Tubeless. I know it's possible to run tubeless with tubes but is it ill advised? Do you get as many kms out of your rubber? Are there any other major drawbacks? Also, are the stock rims on the 300 compatible with tubeless tires? Any advice is much appreciated

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
you can run tubeless tires with tubes. no problem. it is even better because they are safer, sitting deeper on the rim. my tires have done 12k km and still in a good shape.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts