Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of a sportbike front end that will bolt directly to the Versys? Either with new triple trees or forks that will slide into the V's triples?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Does anybody know of a sportbike front end that will bolt directly to the Versys? Either with new triple trees or forks that will slide into the V's triples?
Previously posted by andrewhtf:

A friend of mine who rides a 2010 er6n fully converted the front end by utilising a pair of 2004 zx10r forks, a z1000 top triple and our versys lower triple (hole bored an extra 2mm to accommodate the forks). There he gets a supersport front end with radial calipers. Re-used the wheel and brake disc as it fits and requires no replacing.

·
Registered
720 Posts
As posted above. However that would mean your front end is lowered with lesser fork travel compared to a normal versys. You'll need to consider installing a rear shock lowering kit too.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the lower triple fits the ZX10's forks the top should as well unless they use a tapered fork upper. Is this the case?
I'm considering this as it just might be the less expensive way to go to improve both handling and braking. The Versys has enough power for most of my needs. A better suspension wins out over power when the road gets twisty. I have more powerful bikes if the need should arise.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Assuming you can solve the fit issues, lowering the front end by a few inches and not doing a similar mod at the rear is going to upset the steering geometry and reduce trail. This will provide quicker steering but reduce directional stability, you may even need a steering stabilizer as the V is already a quick turning bike. If you lower both ends by a few inches you may be into ground clearance issues when you lean the bike to turn.

IMO a better alternative would be to retro fit a spring/damping kit in the existing forks from Race-tech or similar.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Assuming you can solve the fit issues, lowering the front end by a few inches and not doing a similar mod at the rear is going to upset the steering geometry and reduce trail. This will provide quicker steering but reduce directional stability, you may even need a steering stabilizer as the V is already a quick turning bike. If you lower both ends by a few inches you may be into ground clearance issues when you lean the bike to turn.

IMO a better alternative would be to retro fit a spring/damping kit in the existing forks from Race-tech or similar.
You are correct sir. I was just wondering. (I have a Triumph sportbike I need to get on the road which would actually be my most cost effective solution).

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just sharing how it looks after the mod on the er6n

·
Registered
64 Posts
do a lot of googling (and search for er-6n's and ninja 650r's and see what they've done to make it work), the main dimensions you'll need to pay attention to if you want to just swap out the forks, is the upper and lower triple tree diameters (the fork is not the same diameter throughout).

You may have to get a matching axle, but if you stick with later year kawi' front ends, chances are you can keep your front wheel.

I would not be surprised if some of the steering stems were interchangeable with other kawi's as well (just keep the triple trees from the donor forks).

you will need to figure out what to do about your handle bars if you change the top triple tree out.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I'll leave it be untill I need a fork oil change. At that point I'll see what I can do to improve the internals. The main problem is that I forget that I bought a budget commuter and I expect it to perform like a Speed Triple. I can accept 60 HP at the rear wheel which is plenty on twisty mountain roads. Now that I put better tires on the bike I'm noticing the shortcomings of the suspension. Then again, 133bhp never had a problem with it (but I don't have his skills). Like the man (Kevin Cameron) says "If you want a faster bike, become a better rider".

·
Registered
720 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,119 Posts
I guess I'll leave it be untill I need a fork oil change. At that point I'll see what I can do to improve the internals. The main problem is that I forget that I bought a budget commuter and I expect it to perform like a Speed Triple. I can accept 60 HP at the rear wheel which is plenty on twisty mountain roads. Now that I put better tires on the bike I'm noticing the shortcomings of the suspension. Then again, 133bhp never had a problem with it (but I don't have his skills). Like the man (Kevin Cameron) says "If you want a faster bike, become a better rider".
My front end compliance got a real boost when I changed the fork oil to ATF from WalMart. I started a thread about that (back in Feb or Mar...). It MIGHT also be the oil-level, as I don't know what it WAS, just what it IS! Done "by-the-book"!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My front end compliance got a real boost when I changed the fork oil to ATF from WalMart. I started a thread about that (back in Feb or Mar...). It MIGHT also be the oil-level, as I don't know what it WAS, just what it IS! Done "by-the-book"!
Eddie, do you remember the title of that post? I searched but could not find it.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you Eddie. Sorry for the late reply but my computer has been acting funny (actually not funny at all). I think I solved my problem the easy way. I took my Versys off the road for the time being and put the plate/insurance on my Daytona 955i. How nice it is to have a responsive powerful bike to ride again. The suspension is plush with great road feel. The clip-ons may have to go. We'll see. The Versys will probably be back when the weather gets cooler.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hoghead, i have no idea about which bike's inner tube would fit, but i am thinking that just as long as you can find one that has the same diameter, length is not a problem, right? You can always machine some spacers to compensate for the length...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts