Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mounted some new tires today!

Stopped by JDRocks' super secret laboratory and mounted a TKC80 on the front, Shinko 805 rear.

Going to have a go at following the V649hp into the mountains of West Virginia next week.
Easy job of mounting... always easy with Dave's help. Two tires in less than 60 minutes. As always, a good guy to know.

Reactions: zzzoren

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Be very careful on pavement where it'll have much less grip in the curves.
Not really, A riding buddy of mine took a Multistrada Pikes Peak edition with TKC 80's front and rear around a sweeping 50 MPH corner around 80-85 MPH.... WAY faster than I could even think about it. You'd be surprised how much on pavement grip those tires have.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even with the tires being new, I noticed the grip they have.
They ignore a lot of the imperfections in the road too. All of the cracks and seams in the back roads by the house that would give the bike a "wiggle" don't affect it half as bad any more either.
I am very impressed with these tires, but then I am not one who will push the envelope through corners on any tires.:grin2:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I was at it, I picked up a new pair of shoes for my feet too!

Forma Adventure Low boots...

Great boots at a great price. I wish they made work boots! Very comfortable right out of the box.
US distributor is selling a lot of them on ebay at about $100 off. No original box, but full warranty.
Black, brown, tall and low.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice! What sizes are they and where did you find them?
12/70 front, 150/70 rear, less than 200 shipped from Chaparral motorsports (did I spell tha right?).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Raised my front fender today...
The TKC was slightly rubbing inside the fender at speed, even at the stock 120/70 size. Wouldn't have been an issue without a fender extender mounted.
The tire was only barely touching, so I just needed a little bit of a raise. Lucky because with the stock brake hose connecting the calipers on an ABS model, there is very little give.

Started by making two little brackets.
Just two counter sunk holes and two m6x1.0 threaded holes. Both sets of holes 70mm apart, the threaded set 15mm higher than the first.

Stopped by the Ace hardware for some meteric stainless screws. Ace always has a good selection of ss meteric hardware.
The smaller button heads are only 30mm long, not much room for the bottom screw so it can't really go through the back of the bracket.

Did paint my brackets, but you can't see them anyway.

I used counter sunk screws to hold the brackets on, button heads would work here too, there is clearance behind the fender skirts.

Doesn't look like it, but the fender extender is not touching the tire any more.

For any bigger tires or to mount a 19 up front will require a new brake hose.

Reactions: quexpress

·
Registered
76 Posts
Even with the tires being new, I noticed the grip they have.
They ignore a lot of the imperfections in the road too. All of the cracks and seams in the back roads by the house that would give the bike a "wiggle" don't affect it half as bad any more either.
I am very impressed with these tires, but then I am not one who will push the envelope through corners on any tires.:grin2:
I just put some Shinko 705s on my V and was thinking the same thing. By all rights they should be worse on the road than the stock but that's not even close to being true. I am way more confident in corners than ever with the stocks... Almost feels like a new bike :grin2:

Also, do you have more info on the boots? I looked on ebay but all the ones I found were within $20 of their normal price.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just put some Shinko 705s on my V and was thinking the same thing. By all rights they should be worse on the road than the stock but that's not even close to being true. I am way more confident in corners than ever with the stocks... Almost feels like a new bike :grin2:

Also, do you have more info on the boots? I looked on ebay but all the ones I found were within $20 of their normal price.
Forma ADVENTURE LOW motorcycle boots, brown or black, *slight water damage. | eBay

Reactions: AngryGazebo

·
Registered
12 Posts
how has been the handling and stability and the overall ride experience ? I am planning to go in for Hidenau K60 130/80 rear tire on the front ..

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
how has been the handling and stability and the overall ride experience ? I am planning to go in for Hidenau K60 130/80 rear tire on the front ..
I'd do some research FIRST. I haven't run the K60 in the front before, but from what I've read it's NOT good. The TKC-80 is my front tire of choice. It's never disappointed after 15K miles.

·
Super Moderator
19,119 Posts
I've had GREAT handling on my '08 w/ BOTH a Metzler Tourance 130/80 (rear) and a Shinko E705 130/80 (rear) on the front, altho' I got SIGNIFICANTLY more miles on the Tourance...!

BOTH require the front fender to be raised.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts