Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At long last, it's on :yeahsmile:. Should've been fitted by the dealer on my first year service but didn't arrive in time. Anyhow, arrived last week and fitted it this weekend. Bit of a faff getting the standard unit off - need to slack off the rear wheel and move it backwards to make room, some may need to release the chain too but we just got away with it. Can't believe the difference in weight between the two - must be around 4kg. I was a bit concerned about what it would look and sound like, not being a triple or four. But hell, it sounds great and is 'comfortably' loud - a big difference. No need to remove the Db killer (tho' I will at some point in the interests of research..!). Gets even better when heading up from 6k towards the redline. Looks brilliant too. It's even ironed out the slight lumpy fuelling issue between 2-3k. In summary, over the moon with it and well worth the money. Check out the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Very nice looking. I haven't fitted a scorpion silencer (not really an appropriate word, is it?) to my Versys, but my new mid-life crisis toy does have a few scorpions on it - a 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth, in red to match the Versys, and the rest of our vehicles. :thumb:

The only car I've driven that's more fun was a Lotus Super 7 Cosworth many, many years ago while living in East Anglia. :D

·
Premium Member
16,146 Posts
One thing thats nice about the Scorpion pipes is they don't need to be re-packed

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks great! Any possibility of a sound byte?
I could, but from my research before buying it, recordings don't bear any relation to the real thing and are not representative at all. If you're after a can, I'd highly recommend this one. :thumb:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice looking. I haven't fitted a scorpion silencer (not really an appropriate word, is it?) to my Versys, but my new mid-life crisis toy does have a few scorpions on it - a 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth, in red to match the Versys, and the rest of our vehicles. :thumb:

The only car I've driven that's more fun was a Lotus Super 7 Cosworth many, many years ago while living in East Anglia. :D

You have Fiat 500 Abarths in the US...!!?? Never would have guessed that there would be a market for them out there. I learnt to drive in a Fiat 500 (the original, of course) back in '78..! I'm a big fan of classic Fiats - had quite a few in years gone by.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Looks good, tho' a few more pics side on would be nice. Price in your Earth Pounds ?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
You have Fiat 500 Abarths in the US...!!?? Never would have guessed that there would be a market for them out there. I learnt to drive in a Fiat 500 (the original, of course) back in '78..! I'm a big fan of classic Fiats - had quite a few in years gone by.
Apparently there is a surprisingly good market in the U.S. The city of San Antonio, Texas, has two Fiat "salons" and neither can keep the Abarth in stock. They're sold as soon as they come off the transporters, if not before.

Stopped at my local dealership yesterday to have a few "I owe you" items taken care of and noticed two Abarths that arrived in the two days since buying ours - both of which were sold before they even arrived.

The other dealership is charging a $2000 premium over list price :eek: and people are paying it! Amazing. But then the Abarth is light years better and more fun than the standard Fiat 500. They're so much fun it's a wonder the government hasn't stepped in to ban them - too much smiling going on among their drivers. :D

Made the mistake of suggesting my wife drive it to an appointment she had the evening we brought it home and when she returned she declared it was now her car. :eek: We'll see about that.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Arion- are you a Brit ex-pat or were you at a US air base (Mildenhall) maybe.? Your mention of East Anglia made me curious, that's all..!

·
Premium Member
16,146 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Arion- are you a Brit ex-pat or were you at a US air base (Mildenhall) maybe.? Your mention of East Anglia made me curious, that's all..!
Good guess as it could have been Lakenheath, Bentwaters, or Woodbridge (at least when I was there). I was stationed - posted, that is - at RAF Mildenhall from 1968 through 1972. Lived in Bury St. Edmunds and loved being in England. At the end of my 4 year tour, I was dragged kicking and screaming to the aircraft that brought me back to the U.S. :D

My paternal ancestors came to the U.S. from southwest Scotland after several generations in the Isle of Man. Guess they weren't quite certain about coming to the colonies. My maternal side came from a British nautical background - my great grandfather was sea captain. Not my cup of tea though. I much preferred the Air Force - I always felt I was much less likely to sink. :thumb:

Where in the deep south U.K. might you be?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good guess as it could have been Lakenheath, Bentwaters, or Woodbridge (at least when I was there). I was stationed - posted, that is - at RAF Mildenhall from 1968 through 1972. Lived in Bury St. Edmunds and loved being in England. At the end of my 4 year tour, I was dragged kicking and screaming to the aircraft that brought me back to the U.S. :D

My paternal ancestors came to the U.S. from southwest Scotland after several generations in the Isle of Man. Guess they weren't quite certain about coming to the colonies. My maternal side came from a British nautical background - my great grandfather was sea captain. Not my cup of tea though. I much preferred the Air Force - I always felt I was much less likely to sink. :thumb:

Where in the deep south U.K. might you be?
Interesting background Arion..! thanks. I'm down in West Sussex, between Gatwick and Brighton. I work over the road from Gatwick Airport for the CAA, our national authority equivalent to your FAA. My background is aircraft engineering.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts