Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Looking forwards to posting some more on the forum.

I just bought my bike brand new yesterday and took it home. I have been lurking here for a while since I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted. (Between this, klr, and vstrom) This is my first motorcycle so I am hoping to learn as much as I can.

First couple things I am looking to get are some crash bars and side bags since I'll want to go down a gravel road every now and then.

Anyways hope you guys have some good comments or links that would be useful to a new rider! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Welcome from Alaska! :thumb: I would recommend some more aggressive tires than stock if and when you go down that gravel road. Engine guards are a good idea, maybe hand guards too. Heated grips might be a good idea too if you plan on riding in the spring or fall. Get some good riding gear and take a motorcycle safety course.

·
Premium Member
16,188 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
welcome from just south of ya :) maybe we can ride together next season , also check out pnwriders.com (not as cool as here)but a good forum non the less

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
:welcome: Enjoy, ride safely and never stop learning and practicing. It will help keep you alive and in one piece.

·
Super Moderator
19,412 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome from Alaska! :thumb: I would recommend some more aggressive tires than stock if and when you go down that gravel road. Engine guards are a good idea, maybe hand guards too. Heated grips might be a good idea too if you plan on riding in the spring or fall. Get some good riding gear and take a motorcycle safety course.
Thanks everyone! Yeah I had planned on getting hand guards and engine guards. I am currently debating between swmotech and h&b. I like the looks of the h&b but am not sure how well they actually protect the bike.

Silviefox, that would be cool. I dont have any riding buddys in the area! I'll check out that fourm too.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
welcome from just south of ya :) maybe we can ride together next season , also check out pnwriders.com (not as cool as here)but a good forum non the less
Squid Alert..Squid Alert...:eek: I love guys over at PNW Riders also...If you love pushing your Versys to the limit you'll like riding with them too...Needless to say they are FAST FAST and on occasion FASTER...Mostly a sportbike group and a few Moto boys thrown in...Approach with caution and remember what they say.."ride your own ride" (ride at speeds you are comfortable with and they will be waiting at the appropriate intersections for you)...

:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
19,412 Posts
Thanks everyone! Yeah I had planned on getting hand guards and engine guards. I am currently debating between swmotech and h&b. I like the looks of the h&b but am not sure how well they actually protect the bike.

Silviefox, that would be cool. I dont have any riding buddys in the area! I'll check out that fourm too.
Jackson - I initially went w/ H-B guards which did a FINE job protecting things when I low-sided at 20 to 30 mph, but then I wanted a "skid-plate", so I bought some SW-Motech ones. Found out PDQ that they would NOT mount up w/ H-Bs, so I 'bit the bullet', and replaced the H-Bs w/ SWs (on BOTH my Vs).

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
just hit me up on here or there ( add me on there too if ya like :)) when ya ready to ride again

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Squid Alert..Squid Alert...:eek: I love guys over at PNW Riders also...If you love pushing your Versys to the limit you'll like riding with them too...Needless to say they are FAST FAST and on occasion FASTER...Mostly a sportbike group and a few Moto boys thrown in...Approach with caution and remember what they say.."ride your own ride" (ride at speeds you are comfortable with and they will be waiting at the appropriate intersections for you)...

unless you go on a lazy ride with me HAHAHAHA
ya alota track monkeys there on PNWR who think you have to go top speed or be on one wheel to be cool:D (or have a ducky to go to starducks)
:devil::devil::devil:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jackson - I initially went w/ H-B guards which did a FINE job protecting things when I low-sided at 20 to 30 mph, but then I wanted a "skid-plate", so I bought some SW-Motech ones. Found out PDQ that they would NOT mount up w/ H-Bs, so I 'bit the bullet', and replaced the H-Bs w/ SWs (on BOTH my Vs).
Yeah I think thats what I decided on for the same reason. I think they might possibly protect the bike a bit better. Who knows though? Not many volunteers to test them.

Oldmxer95, I'm in Kennewick, WA. Unfortunately its a bit far silvie, but I make it over there every now and then!

·
Super Moderator
19,412 Posts
...I think they might possibly protect the bike a bit better. Who knows though? Not many volunteers to test them....
One of the aftermarket companies have a video where they (unintentionally) low-sided a Versys wearing the SW-Motech guards. QUITE the video! (Twisted Throttle???)

Someone...?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One of the aftermarket companies have a video where they (unintentionally) low-sided a Versys wearing the SW-Motech guards. QUITE the video! (Twisted Throttle???)

Someone...?
Yeah I saw that! Twisted throttle. Honestly is probably that that sold it. I saw that and then a thread here (http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20296) where a dude got dragged under a semi for 300m and then rode to work after... Crazy! I couldn't really find anything on the h&b even though I like the looks of that one too.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I watched that video a couple of times...The way the rider pounds the ground made me think it wasn't on purpose...i hope to have my SW MOTECH bars this spring...

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

I would put a front fenda extenda on. That gravel will hit your radiator. Also some great rider saftey books too!

And alway CCW! :eek:

:usa:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I would put a front fenda extenda on. That gravel will hit your radiator. Also some great rider saftey books too!

And alway CCW! :eek:

:usa:
Ccw as in conceal carry? I have a permit but unfortunately OR and CA won't honor it :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
great adds on versys

WELCOME\;]
The Versys forum has been a great source of information and advice for this bike. evidence mentioned and pictured\;]
SW-Motech; belly pan and engine guards/ Foot pegs, Fenda Extenda, Hepco Rack for the Pelicans(wishing for the rear deck), Bark Buster hand guards(white lettering had to go), Fuze Block(located under left fairing), Moto-Werks; rear spools/ mirror risers-extenders/ Kick stand foot pad/ Handle bar extender/ GPS Mount(power point/heated grip controller)
Stock tires where ehh and well beyond their life span at 8K miles and the Pirelli Scorpions with 6k have been amazing(need just a little more for the gravel/dirt) and I need to replace these, and shopping?
Thanks again to all of the contributors:thanx:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts