Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!

New to riding, but been interested for a long time.
Decided I better try it before I get too old (in my mid 40's) :laugh:

Started out on a Burgman 400 maxi scooter about two and half months ago.
Three weeks later, I switched to a Tmax 500 after spotting one for sale.
It's a great maxi-scooter with motorcycle ride quality, but I think ergonomically, I might feel more comfortable on a Versys (with feet under butt) due to low back soreness.

I been checking out all the middleweight bikes, trying to see which one I can buy used on Craigslist.

Looking forward to learning more about the Versys through this forum.

Henry

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Motorcycle Safety Course

I would recommend as in the title. I personally went from a 350 Honda to a 650 Yamaha, then dual sport bikes for 25 years, last one was a DRZ400S, in 2008 I got a 07 Versys, in Feb. 2016 I got a 650 ABS versys. I am 68, never looked back on the Dual Sport, too many times I was living like a 20 year old and found the bike on top of me a couple times, 4 wheel drive tracks in my area can be dangerous when you use them for Dual sport bikes, realized it was time to move on.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I agree with onewizard about taking a motorcycle safety course. After a rather long dry spell I (we actually) returned to motorcycling. Started again with Kymco Exciting 500 scooters (stupid name but a good maxi-scooter), but soon replaced them with a new-to-me 2008 Versys and a new-to-her Honda CTX700. We both believe we made a good choice. Mine is actually better but don't tell her that.

Since then - a few years ago - we've added a few other bikes and are having a great time. He (or she) who dies with the most motorcycles wins. We heard that somewhere, so it must be true. I believe it's a quote from Abraham Lincoln. :wink2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes, i already took the CMSP class. I also got the Proficient motorcycling and Total control books.

My friend had a drz400 before that I test rode down the street on, height was a bit intimidating even at 5'11". He told me not to get a dual sport because there is not much dirt roads around.

Also just parking lot test rode that CTX 700 with dct, not feeling the cruiser position, did not feel nimble like my tmax. Interested in trying the nc700x dct.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
:welcome:

·
Super Moderator
19,119 Posts
...He told me not to get a dual sport because there is not much dirt roads around....
The ADVANTAGE of a 'dual sport' is that you CAN continue the odd time that the road "turns to dirt", to see where it goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys!

The ADVANTAGE of a 'dual sport' is that you CAN continue the odd time that the road "turns to dirt", to see where it goes.
I understand, but my friend is telling me there are nothing like that in this area.
He said he can do any dirt roads around here on his CBR1000RR.
That's why he recommend me to get the Versys (not a true dual sport, but it will handle any easy gravel roads around here)

·
Super Moderator
19,119 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Hi!

New to riding, but been interested for a long time.
Decided I better try it before I get too old (in my mid 40's) :laugh:

Started out on a Burgman 400 maxi scooter about two and half months ago.
Three weeks later, I switched to a Tmax 500 after spotting one for sale.
It's a great maxi-scooter with motorcycle ride quality, but I think ergonomically, I might feel more comfortable on a Versys (with feet under butt) due to low back soreness.

I been checking out all the middleweight bikes, trying to see which one I can buy used on Craigslist.

Looking forward to learning more about the Versys through this forum.

Henry
You can download the service manual for the Versys from the TECH section of this site. IMO the Versys is a best buy, particularly lightly used, in the mid size sport touring and adv. style bike category. If buying used I would check out craigslist for large population centers, there will usually be more selection and better prices in larger markets. Consider renting a motorcycle trailer for a day from UHaul to pick it up. Late fall and winter is always the best time to buy a bike as sales are normally slower now and the best deals can be had.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm in SJ too :)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had the CTX700 DCT before my new Versys X-300 and I haven't gotten a sore tailbone yet with the versys. I got it bad with the stock seat on the CTX but then bought the low-profile Corbin and it was great for my back. The Versys seat is very hard, like others have reported here, so I may get the other seat made by Kaw that is taller or go with a corbin. I really liked the CTX and the DCT since it was so smooth and the mpg's were great. I got as high as 72 mpg and that was interstate riding. The Versys is a much higher reving bike but I'm still taking it somewhat easy since it is in brake-in phase.

I'm in Fremont so I'm not too far away from you. We have good riding around here. I plan ride Niles Canyon road and Palmares Rd too today.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts