Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 650LT
Doesn't get ridden enough, but when I got it inspected this fall, I was told the rear tire would need to be replaced soon. Just had a Michelin Pilot Road 4 put on. I sure hope it lasts longer than the original.

·
Premium Member
16,147 Posts
What tire pressure were you running???

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The PR4 should give you around 5k miles with fairly spirited riding.

If you ride like a slug and do a lot of commuting you may see 8k or more.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Without pictures I am hesitant to say anything other than to always get a variety of opinions. I would never trust a stranger who is in the business of selling parts to give me advice on parts wear.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I replaced OEM rear tire on my 2015 Versys 650 at 5952 km (3928 miles).
Note: On my Versys, I like to run the rear tire pressure at 38 ft-lbs. On my previous bike, I kept it at 40 - 42 ft-lbs ... but that was a much heavier bike. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
2013 Versys

My '13 Versys went 6000 miles on the original rear when the cord started showing. I replaced it with a Contimotion Sport/Touring that went 8000 mi before needing replacement.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I got about 6200 miles out of the OEM rear tire (2015 650 LT) but it was down to the second layer of rubber (no cords showing yet). I was on a trip and it was making my riding partners a bit nervous. Replaced it with a Dunlop RS 3 and continued the trip. It now has about 3K on that tire and it shows no wear as yet. Reviews say it should be good for about 12-15K.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm at 5427 mi on my stock rear and it still has a good bit of life in it (guessing new tires sometime in 2018). Though I am a pretty tame rider compared to what I have observed from others.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies. The bike shop that told me my tire would needed to go next year is good to go- very trusted.
They didn't try to sell me a new one, just said it would be good to replace it soon. It did pass inspection and I probably could have gotten another 500-1000 miles on it. This is my first street bike since I was a kid and I'm not skimping on anything safety related. Was just surprised that the subject even came up soon. A lot of the miles where put on riding at speed on the interstate so I guess its normal.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I got 10k out of a PR4..but a lot of that riding was with a Harley group..lol...it was pretty flat in the center by the time I took it off..as the Harley group wasn't ripping around any corners either...
I got 8.5k out of the next one..and wasn't riding with the Harley group..lol...I do a lot of touring on the Versys so i get pretty good mileage out of them...can't wait to get the new 5...

·
Premium Member
16,147 Posts
I got 10k out of a PR4..but a lot of that riding was with a Harley group..lol...it was pretty flat in the center by the time I took it off..as the Harley group wasn't ripping around any corners either...
I got 8.5k out of the next one..and wasn't riding with the Harley group..lol...I do a lot of touring on the Versys so i get pretty good mileage out of them...can't wait to get the new 5...
The stock tire are wearing pretty well on the V-1000 but i'll be getting a set of the 5's when they come out....

·
Super Moderator
19,138 Posts
I keep pretty good records (obsessive...?), so here's what mileage I got on ALL the rears on my '08:

OEM Dunlop - 10,008 miles;

Dunlop ROADSMART - 11,152 MILES;

ContiMotion - 10,628 miles;

Kenda BIG BLOCK (knobby) - 9,750 miles; and

Metzler Tourance - 12,337 miles and 14,123 miles. (TWO Metzler rears)

As that doesn't QUITE equal the mileage on the bike, it's because the last Shinko E705 is STILL on the bike! 0:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I put PR4 GT's on mine. Yes maybe over kill for mileage, but I had them for another bike and when my rear OEM crapped out at under 5k I just replaced both front and rear with the PR4's. With over 8K on the "new" tires they still look incredibly well and I am hoping to get at least 12K out of the rear.

·
Super Moderator
19,138 Posts
...As that doesn't QUITE equal the mileage on the bike, it's because the last Shinko E705 is STILL on the bike! 0:)
Just checked - the Shinko E705 rear has 7,000 miles on it, and I expect several 1,000 more before it's "toast"....

1 - 20 of 67 Posts