Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

New Pilot Road 2's - Very Responsive or Slight wobble?

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Buckeye 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I had my local dealer put on a set of new Pilot Road 2's put on my V last week after the rear OEM Dunlop bit the dust (huge hole). I road them home from the shop (6 miles) and haven't been able to ride them until today because of rain.

I had about 3800 miles on my Dunlops and the back was visibly squared (not a ton, but noticeable).

I noticed that there seems to be an ever so slight feeling of instability in the steering. I've heard that the Pilot Road 2's are steeper than the OEM Dunlop's and they are grippier as well.

The V is the first bike I've ever ridden, which means the Dunlops are the only tires I've ever ridden. So my question is, is the feeling I'm experiencing just because the Road 2's are newer, maybe more responsive to slight touch, and grippier? Or is there something else going on I should check out? Or am I just being paranoid? :eek:

#2 ·
If you have not already done it.
Once all the new surface rubber has been run off, you will know what they really feal like.
They are quality tires I have run two sets on the SV1000S, although they are not what I run now on that bike.

#4 ·
If you have not already done it.
Once all the new surface rubber has been run off, you will know what they really feal like.
Haven't done that yet. I only have 10 miles on them. The nubs on the middle aren't even worn off yet.

If it feels like a slight wobble. I'd take them back to who installed them to have the balance checked. :goodluck: I was getting ready to order some PR-3's to have when i get to cali. Have 5000 miles on the stockers so replacing them after the trip.
Doesn't really feel like a wobble, more like a slight wandering. It's hard to explain really, almost like it's following a very slight groove in the pavement. That's where I'm thinking maybe it's just much more sensitive to my hands on the bar.

I can say though, it doesn't take much at all to lean it over. Those tires are begging to corner!

#3 · (Edited)
If it feels like a slight wobble. I'd take them back to who installed them to have the balance checked. :goodluck: I was getting ready to order some PR-3's to have when i get to cali. Have 5000 miles on the stockers so replacing them after the trip.

#5 ·
Those are quality tires, I don't think it's them...unless, as has been mentioned, they were not installed or balanced correctly. They are directional; were they installed in the right direction?

The symptoms you describe, I call "my front end is hunting." A lot of time "hunting" is more related to suspension set-up than tires. I know you are a new rider, but maybe research suspension adjustments and see if you can go at it that way. I have been playing with my suspension for the past month or so and am getting big improvements in handling.

:goodluck:
Be safe.
:cheers:

#10 ·
Those are quality tires, I don't think it's them...unless, as has been mentioned, they were not installed or balanced correctly. They are directional; were they installed in the right direction?

The symptoms you describe, I call "my front end is hunting." A lot of time "hunting" is more related to suspension set-up than tires. I know you are a new rider, but maybe research suspension adjustments and see if you can go at it that way. I have been playing with my suspension for the past month or so and am getting big improvements in handling.

:goodluck:
Be safe.
:cheers:
Just got back from a 60 mile ride on them and I can definitely say that's great description. Or maybe like a slight wandering? I really can't tell if it's "hunting" though or if it's the profile like Mtan mentioned combined with what Hardware said about being used to squared off tires. They are definitely incredibly responsive, that's for sure.

I've been wanting to try and play with the suspension set up for a long time, maybe I'll start tweaking.

I just checked and the direction of them is right. I've also set and kept them at the recommended 32/36 psi (F/R) like I did with the OEMs. The rear does look maybe a hair out of alignment according to the marks on the bike. But when measuring to the swingarm bolt, it's pretty much spot on. Maybe an 1/16-1/8" out of alignment. That wouldn't affect it much right?

It really doesn't feel like a wobble though. They are very smooth riding. There's no shuddering or constant wobbling. I do think what RockyMoto mentioned is most like what I'm feeling.

I might just give the shop a call tomorrow for my peace of mind.

#6 ·
I had my Pilot road 2 2CT fixed 3 weeks back and after the initial scrubb in for about 200 kms, went for a 1,850 km ride in Malaysia ( I am from Singapore) over 3 days. Got nothing but praises for the new rubber as they really stick to the ground in all weather.
Suppose that the the feeling that you have is due to the profile of the tire as they turn much easier, no worries at all as they will carry you well.

#7 ·
A point to ponder with the PR2. I asked a dealer about them and he brought out a used PR2 to show me. It has 19 punctured holes from nails but were are repaired, and it was soft overall as it was about 30% life in it. The rider who rode on it says it tends to wobble at high speed when the tire has passed 50% thread life, as the tires gets too soft on a hot road in the tropics. The dealer added that for hot climate, BT021 or the 023 would be a better buy as it won't soft out so much on a hot tarmac.

For a new PR2, and if it wobbles, it would not be the 'soft' issue but probably a balancing issue.

#8 ·
I had my local dealer put on a set of new Pilot Road 2's put on my V last week ...

I had about 3800 miles on my Dunlops and the back was visibly squared ...

I noticed that there seems to be an ever so slight feeling of instability in the steering.
It may just be that you got used to the feel of the squared off OEMs... and now the (normal) responsiveness of round tires feels odd.

I’ve gone thru quite a few PR2s and the bike feels (and is) VERY agile on them. It just goes where you look :thumb:

#9 ·
I installed a set of Pilot Roads about 3,000 miles ago and love them, no issues what-so-ever.

If you haven't checked the air pressure I'd do that first. They do turn in very quickly and if the person mounting them left the pressures too high it will "hunt" on the road.
I run 34 in the front and 36 in the rear and the bike rails thru the twisties and feels super stable at higher speeds.

Dan

#12 ·
I put a few more miles on the tires this evening and it does feel like either they're settling down because they're breaking in or I'm getting used to them (or both). Everything else is in good shape. No shudder or shakes, so it's probably not a balancing issue. The pressure has been set to spec every time. And the no hands test confirmed that the alignment is true and straight.

I also found this review from webbikeworld on the PR2's. The "squirming" or greasyness of what they were describing in the first 100-200 miles sounds almost spot on to what it has felt like. I have just shy of 80 miles on them now so I think I'm fairly confident in saying that it's just my inexperience in conjunction with the fact that these tires are well known for their responsiveness.

I did call the dealer today and they offered to have me bring it back in and have them test ride it to make sure everything is as it should be. The guy also offered to exchange them if I wanted too, but I don't see any reason to do that at this point.

Thanks all for your feedback!

#13 ·
Had a pair of Angel ST's with 5000 mi on them but punctured the rear, with a thorn of all things. Dealer didn't have any Pirellis, so put a PR-2 on the rear. Not a hard rider so everything seems fine but are there any issues with mixing an Angel front with a PR-2 rear?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.