Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been riding for several years. I'm currently riding an 06 Concours and a KLR 650. My girlfriend's became interested in learning to ride last year. Bought her a Vulcan 750 to learn on. She's decided she's had enough of the cruiser life. We looked at lots of different bikes. She settled on the Versys 650. Bought her an 08 earlier this week. She's loving it, and I've been pretty impressed with it myself. Looking forward to learning more about it and talking with you guys and gals!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Forgot to mention, I'm in Northeast NC. Hopefully will get to take a trip to the mountains this fall and let my girlfriend enjoy some twisties on her new-to-her bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's actually not that tall. Already ordered a lowering link for the rear and will be sliding the forks up. She really liked the way the bike handled and especially liked the seating position, so we'll get it lower in order to make it work for her.

·
Premium Member
16,153 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
325 Posts
might not like it as much lowered. hope it works for you though!! I owned an '06 Connie and '05 KLR too... bought both new. welcome!

·
Premium Member
9,119 Posts
30 inch inseam / 07 & 2015 Lowered

She's actually not that tall. Already ordered a lowering link for the rear and will be sliding the forks up. She really liked the way the bike handled and especially liked the seating position, so we'll get it lower in order to make it work for her.
I find even lowered I have been in precarious positions where I am in a hollow and barely able to touch, add loose gravel and you get the picture, hence the crash bars. I found the bike seems to corner even better lowered, I stated this in another thread. Crash bars would be a second benefit.

·
Premium Member
9,119 Posts
Once you have it lowered, not sure the status of the bike as to valve shim, brake fluid , tires etc. , but the TPS setting can turn the bike into a awesome bike just by tweaking it, posted originally by Invader. We have come a long way as I now have VDC settings for this using a adapter harness, used on both main and sub-throttle assemblies. Trust me when I had the 2007 I came closs to selling it within 3 months of owning it, discovered the TPS thread that turned the bike from a POS to a wild beast >:), yes wheelies in 1st second and if really trying 3rd also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Onewizard, we'll be changing all fluids, just to be safe. And once I get a chance to get a shop manual, I'll pop the valve covers and check/adjust the valves. I do all my own service work, but this will be my first FI bike. PO owned the bike for only about 6 months and put 360 miles on it. The stealership he bought it from, didn't have any service records on it. Bike has 20,590 miles on it. Someone rode it! If it's like my other Kawis, that's just getting broken in though. I paid 2K with Givi side luggage and top case, Givi windscreen, and Motech crash bars.

I'll be looking into this performance upgrade that you speak of. If there's a beast somewhere in that bike, he must be well hidden. I'd (not necessarily my girlfriend) like to have more power! 💪

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Also will be needing tires in less than a thousand miles. Currently on Pilot Road 3s. Open to suggestions on replacements. Looked at pirelli angels. They're highly regarded over on the COG forum. Any one tire stand out for on-road usage?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts