Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Just got a used 2009 versys this past month and have been enjoying the s*** out of it! Thanks to what I already found on this forum, I also have already solved the 3-5k rpm vibration issue and am looking to take it for its first big trip! I have small saddlebags that came with the bike that work great for day trips, but I am trying to figure out better ways to mount gear to the bike so I can take enough for a few days of camping. Everything is stock on it, no saddlebag or luggage rack mounts, any ideas of how to strap down a duffel bag or a rafting bag securely? :thanx:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I've bungied a load to the rear seat, across the top of the saddle bags. The factory units are only rated for 11 lbs each, so you can't have much weight across the top of them, but they do provide a surface to support some weight.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
when on longer trips in the past i would bungie a big milk crate to the back seat then cram it full of stuff and bungie it in and there ya go

·
Registered
805 Posts
Yeah the trellis that supports the tail of the bike is an excellent strap point load it up and strap it down. I bungee my tail bag to it and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've been fine with my Givi V35 side cases and V46 Top case for a week's worth of riding/camping.

I've also used a dry bag with great success and very happy that I had it!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I made a simple 3/8" plywood rear rack that I strap down to the rear portion of of the seat and grab rails. I then took some 1/4" steel rod and bent it to shape and attached it to the rack. This allows me to hook on some bicycle panniers that I used to use while bicycle camping. The whole set up took an afternoon to make and cost me probably less than $20. I've done 4-5 weekend camp trips of more than a 1000 miles with no problem at all. Loaded up with the tank bag I've got tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, food and cook stove.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How and what did you do to fix the vibration?

:welcome:
First of all, thanks everyone for the quick and really helpful responses! I've got a much better idea of what to do for loading up gear now. And the vibration issue I solved by taking off the side cowlings, the headlight cowling, and the tach cowling and putting some light foam on all the bolt/screw points with a little bit more where there was any space to jam some foam in where two parts contacted/rubbed up against each other. It was a quick fix (just seeing how well it worked) and I'll see how long it holds up!

·
Registered
601 Posts
I really love taking my Versys camping. I've only stayed in California, Oregon and Washington so far, but I look forward to every trip and ride I take...

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Hello everyone! Just got a used 2009 versys this past month and have been enjoying the s*** out of it! Thanks to what I already found on this forum, I also have already solved the 3-5k rpm vibration issue and am looking to take it for its first big trip! I have small saddlebags that came with the bike that work great for day trips, but I am trying to figure out better ways to mount gear to the bike so I can take enough for a few days of camping. Everything is stock on it, no saddlebag or luggage rack mounts, any ideas of how to strap down a duffel bag or a rafting bag securely? :thanx:
Not sure if this will work for everyone but I use a secure, lockable top box, Givi B33 for cargo and storing helmet, for every day riding and commuting. I find it's size is just right for daily commuting. It also makes a great passenger back rest. I also use a tank bag daily for the frequently accessed stuff. For the occasional camping trip I supplement this setup this Cortech Sport size soft side bags (~$100 - $150) (expandable models hold as much as hard bags) and optionally matching tail bag (get the larger model one) (~$100) that just clips to the Cortech bags, plus a cargo net (15" x 15") to strap on oversized items like a sleeping bag to the rear seat. I find side hard bags are nice but very expensive (~$1000) including mounting hardware. The issue is the side cases provide more capacity than you need on a daily basis so the $1000 price is too steep to only use them only when occasionally camping. I find the Cortech bags are a more cost effective alternative that work just as well, at least for occasional use. The large size soft bags are too big on the versys and sag into the rear wheel unless you have support brackets, the slightly smaller "sport bike" sized soft bags however fit perfectly without any hardware plus if they are expandable still hold a lot of stuff, as much as the typical hard bag. The cargo net is cheap (<$10) and stores nicely under the seat for when you occasionally need it to transport bulky items.

A cheap (on Ebay) 12V or USB accessory plug is nice to have for charging a phone or powering a GPS.

If I was to do it again about the only change I might make in this setup is to get the more expensive, higher quality and better designed aluminum SW-Motech rear rack for the top box rather than the heavy Givi one. It shaves several pounds, up high where weight is most noticeable, from the total weight as it weighs less and allows the removal of the surprisingly heavy passenger grab handles yet still functions as a grab handle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Jax,

My wife and I have been camping across the PacNW and Canada for 6 weeks, just arrived back in Chicago. The one indispensable tool we had was this rear rack from Adventure Gear.

This rack has been roundly praised in other threads for its solid build, near flawless installation, and looks. We especially like the many slots and holes. Contact the owner, Sam, on 801.810.8181 or at [email protected]

I echo the dry sacks, ROK straps, and cargo net ideas, worked great for us!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Patrick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts