Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just killing time until I go pick up my new leftover 2009, from Montgomeryville Cycle Center in PA. Blue with the factory Kawi/Givi bags.

I'm 41 and I've been riding for almost 23 years. My last bike (still in the garage) is a 1999 Honda VFR800, which I've had for just the past 3 years, and in 2010 I took it 9,000 miles around the USA in four week. I wish I had more time, but I'm still writing up that adventure on my website: mototourers.com I started off riding standards, and the VFR was my first real sportbike, which I made more tour-worthy with Heli-bars and Givi cases.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Versys, so I had to jump at the deal: $5500 with the bags (ends up around $6100 OTD). I'm a little short in the inseam for "true" adventure bikes, not to mention my lack of experience riding in dirt. Having grown up in Philadelphia, I never owned a dirtbike for lack of places to ride it (legally). I doubt I'd ever take a BMW GS down a gnarly dirt road anyway. I was looking for a road bike that would be better than my VFR when I pull into campsites or my Garmin puts me on a gravel road going over a mountain. I'd still never intentionally take the unpaved roads, so the Versys seems like the perfect slant of sporty on-road performance and fireroad capability. In a touring rig, I think I'd prefer ABS and shaft drive for safety and reliability, but at this price point, I can't complain.

Less than two hours until my loving wife drives me to pick it up. I'll post pics and my initial impressions after I get in a few hours of riding this afternoon. Thank goodness for a mild winter!!!

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
:welcome: & Congrats...

·
Registered
421 Posts
:thumb:New V and a beautiful day to ride today in Penns Woods.

Congrats

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
About 3 hours of riding after I picked it up Tuesday, and close to 8 hours of riding on Wednesday (with temps in the 60s!). Only about 350 miles on it so far, as most of my riding was back roads, which are generally too congested here in PA. There was nobody up at Hawk Mountain today, and 895 was all mine for a while.

This is definitely the bike I've been searching for! :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
:welcome: and congratulations on the new V!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just did the first oil change yesterday. No obvious metal bits in it, like in olden days. Gonna be cold here - as in, f'ing freezing - for the next week or two, so I probably won't get out again for a few weeks. Time to mod!

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
I love that blue! I think my black on black looks pretty slick, but if I had to have a color, that would be it!

·
Registered
774 Posts
That blue looks even better in person. A guy I work with has one with Trax boxes. So nice.

·
Registered
121 Posts
AWESOME congrats man, Leftovers are the best. I picked up my leftover 09 last july from jersey, worth the 11 hour round trip. Good Luck with the V

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Bravo12 congrats on your 09 I'm sure you'll like it. I saw that bike when I went down to Monkeyville to buy my 2011 650 v-strom on 1/18/12. Just like you I've been riding in the nice weather we had last week but looks like that wont be around for awhile now. As a matter of fact I also have a 09 blue Versys with about 8000+ miles on it and Hawk mountain is in my back yard so to speak. 895's nice, and only leads to better roads further north and west. Let me know the next time your up in this neck of the woods and i'll show you some if you want.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
I just did the first oil change yesterday. No obvious metal bits in it, like in olden days. Gonna be cold here - as in, f'ing freezing - for the next week or two, so I probably won't get out again for a few weeks. Time to mod!

Well since you said oil change and mod in your post. You might check out one of these. http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/PC-RACING-FLO-OIL-FILTER

i love mine:yeahsmile:

IMG_0120 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0123 by weljo2001, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 22 Posts