Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I started my motorcycle ownership experience with old bikes, at 18 (in 2005), I started with a yamaha xj650, but quickly moved to a Kawasaki KZ 750, which I fell in love with. A few years ago, I picked up an old BMW R75/5 from a friend on the cheap, and then last year, I ditched my KZ 750 for a 02 V-strom 1000. After riding it for a year, I still really like my strom, but it is pretty heavy, and not as fun around the curves, and since my GF got her own bike last fall, I don't need the power for two up riding. I knew i wanted to get a 650 with a similair seating position, and wanted to get something within the last five years, so I set out looking at DL650s and Versys (there is no plural, right?) that were set up for adventure touring. I looked at a few DL650s and thought they were a bit boring, given that I had a DL1000 already.

Sunday I came across a 2008 Versys with 25,000 miles on it and the follwing accessories:

Givi e21 side luggage with SW-Motec quick release mounts.
Shad 45 liter top box with fixed Shad proprietary mount.
SW-Motec engine guards
SW-Motec wide/off road foot pegs
Evotech radiator protector
Bark busters aluminum backbone hand guards
Madstad adjustable windscreen mount
Givi windshield
Mikes grand touring windshield
Pyramida fender extender
Speedys footpeg lowering blocks
Speedys lowering link
Speedys Flat foot for kickstand
Back-off modulator
Signal dynamics brake/running light
SW-Motec handle bar risers
Heated grips
12v power outlet
Kaoko throttle lock
Stebel 139 db nautilus air horn
Reworked seat with memory foam and gel inserts
Fork lights
Gps/phone universal handlebar mount

The price was right, and the owner offered to put a new rear tire on it, so I bit. I am the proud new owner of a Versys!

The previous owner seems to have been a skilled mechanic, I picked it up at the Mercedes dealer where her worked, and did all the upgrades, etc. but I am soliciting advice on needed repairs, improvements, checkups, etc. I plan to take it on a long ride this weeked before farkling, but aside from tires and oil, what might it need?

Thanks,
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7447915254/in/photostream

·
Registered
180 Posts
:welcome: Nice to know that there is a Versys owner nearby. You might want to ask the previous owner if he has done the valve clearance adjustments and if the rear sprocket is still stock, you can always change to 44t.:)

Gerald

·
Premium Member
16,226 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sweet bike! are those fog lights made by martin fabrication? I had a set on my old versys (how I miss that bike!) and they were a quality product. Great looking bike btw

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Welcome, Mike! Sounds like you did your homework and ended up snagging a very good deal!!!
As for advice... it looks like you've not got many farkles left to try... Sounds like you've got it all.

I lived in Warwick Village in Alexandria when I was a kid back in the early 1950's.
Went to 2nd and 3rd Grade at Mt. Vernon Elementary school.
I imagine its a bit busier nowadays...
Be safe in the big city!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I rode the bike about 75 miles between last night and this morning and I am thrilled! It is so much more nimble and agile in traffic, which suits me much better here in Northern VA.

The bike does have a 44t sprocket, and I will replace the air filter and brake lines when the time comes! The fog lights are off the shelf at Walmart for $20 bucks according to the previous owner, the shells break pretty easily, but they are suprisingly bright, when the time comes to replace them, I will be soliciting advice here.

Tomorrow I will leave on a 1000 mile plus journey to Michigan's two peninsulas, first I'll stop in the Ann Arbor Area to visit my mom, then I will head north to my cousin's lake house near the Mackinaw bridge. I plan on changing the oil at my mom's house, any other advice on maintenance/prep for this trip specific to the bike would be great!

Genehil-- I live two blocks west of the Amtrak station between King and Duke. The traffic here is awful, but I think it is better on a bike than in a car. Fortunately for me, I walk or ride my bicycle to work most days.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I live two blocks west of the Amtrak station between King and Duke. The traffic here is awful, but I think it is better on a bike than in a car. Fortunately for me, I walk or ride my bicycle to work most days.
Back in the early 70's I worked at Fruit Growers Express near the Masonic Temple (building insulated boxcars of all things). It was down the hill on Witter Street... behind what is now Land Rover of Alexandria... just a few blocks away from your place I guess. Back then I lived near Bailey's Crossroads and road a 1972 Honda SL-125 to and from work - year round rain/shine/snow/whatever. I loved it there.
Last time I was in that area was in the summer of 2000. Way too much traffic for me then - I can't imagine what it's like now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts