Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a college student going to U of A, had some money saved up since I got a pretty good scholarship so I spent it on a 2009 kawasaki versys
.... that I promptly wrecked. It was great fun for a while but as usual I went beyond my limitations. I wasn't hurt too bad but the bike is having some shifting trouble and I came here for help and hopefully a good community eventually.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome man, sorry to hear about your wreck... hope you recover soon and get back on two wheels.
As for your shifting problem, what are the symptoms and describe what exactly the problem is and we can try to figure out what your problem ia

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Sorry to hear that but glad you are ok.

Pls elaborate on the shifting. Which side of the bike that went down?

U of A, what does that 'A' stands for? Arkansas, Alabama, Alaska,....?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
U of Arizona, it's down in Tucson.
Well the shifting...
It works fine when I'm actually riding, but I thought I was able to shift up while stationary before. Not like it's ever necessary but I figured it might indicate a problem. Basically if I'm sitting still I can't go up past neutral but maybe the trannys designed that way so you don't stall trying to start out in 3rd or something.
I'm pretty inexperienced for having crashed so it's kind of embarrassing. It was a pretty soft lowside up in the mountains. It looks like the plastic took most of the forceful impact so I cant see how there'd be internal damage although the shift lever is bent back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heres a picture of the shifter and also a stray electrical lead. Is that for aftermarket accessories and I just need to tuck it back in somewhere or has something been ripped off?
I didn't realize it'd be tough owning a bike down here. Where I grew up I know plenty of people who could help me but not so much now.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh I was unaware of that and tried google searching it but it never brought up the right thing. I did take the msf course and distinctly remember the bike i rode then shifting into second while stationary so I just assumed all motorcycles did since I never thought about it on my kawi.

·
Registered
670 Posts
if all you have under yor belt is the MSF beginner course, then you should consider yourself as riding with a 6th grade education. that was the tip of the iceberg. go farther.

glad you and the bike are in relatively good shape.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I rode my friend's Ducati Monster and when I tried to shift to Neutral, I couldn't as it kept on going up shift. The trick for the Monster is to go to 1st and kick up just a little, else it will end up with the 2nd. The Versys does require a harder kick up for shifting but it works for me.

With the bike moving, it is unlikely you are able to find the Neutral, just thought that you might want to know.

·
Registered
623 Posts
with my 2011, I find neutral with the bike moving, no problem.

Just a tick down from 2nd while approaching the gate mechanism where I live. I'm short for the V so it's a left foot down thing, and need to be in neutral to work the mechanism with my left hand.

Maybe it only works going down?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts