Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted this on the Super Tenere site:

Well I just picked up a new 2012 S10, my first new bike, has 99 miles on it now and I don't know if I fully like it! Nobody has a demo to test drive, so how do you know unless you ride it?
My best friend got a chance to ride one and loved it, read many reviews on how great it was, and you guys seem to like it!

This is my 7th bike in about that many years and have ridden many other bikes and do all my own maintenance, so I'm not exactly a novice.
I was eying the 2015 Versys 1000, but being a new model, is more expensive. I got a good deal on this leftover 2012.

What do you not like about it you say? Well my last 2 bikes were 4 bangers. This is my first parallel twin. Well not exactly, I got my daughter a Suzuki GS500 last year but it is too small for me and not enough power so I don't ride it. I don't mind riding my friends big Honda VTX1800 twin. Maybe I just prefer 4 cylinders now which is why I was considering the Versys before.
The engine is similar to my ZRX1100, which i think is a great bike but 15 years old now, and maybe a little small for my 6'3" frame.

Don't know if it is having to be gentle with it during the break-in, not waking it and staying under 4K most of the time????
I just don't know........................... You sure get a lot of dive when braking with this long travel suspension. I admit I haven't set it up for my 220 lb self yet either.

Now the V1000 is looking even better :confused:
Any of you guys have any experience with the Yam Super Tenere

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I just posted this on the Super Tenere site:

Well I just picked up a new 2012 S10, my first new bike, has 99 miles on it now and I don't know if I fully like it! Nobody has a demo to test drive, so how do you know unless you ride it?
My best friend got a chance to ride one and loved it, read many reviews on how great it was, and you guys seem to like it!

This is my 7th bike in about that many years and have ridden many other bikes and do all my own maintenance, so I'm not exactly a novice.
I was eying the 2015 Versys 1000, but being a new model, is more expensive. I got a good deal on this leftover 2012.

What do you not like about it you say? Well my last 2 bikes were 4 bangers. This is my first parallel twin. Well not exactly, I got my daughter a Suzuki GS500 last year but it is too small for me and not enough power so I don't ride it. I don't mind riding my friends big Honda VTX1800 twin. Maybe I just prefer 4 cylinders now which is why I was considering the Versys before.
The engine is similar to my ZRX1100, which i think is a great bike but 15 years old now, and maybe a little small for my 6'3" frame.

Don't know if it is having to be gentle with it during the break-in, not waking it and staying under 4K most of the time????
I just don't know........................... You sure get a lot of dive when braking with this long travel suspension. I admit I haven't set it up for my 220 lb self yet either.

Now the V1000 is looking even better :confused:
Any of you guys have any experience with the Yam Super Tenere
No, but if you like 4 bangers, the one in the V1K is a gem.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I say, set it up right, and ride it for awhile. Unless the dealer is gonna give you a full refund if you don't put 100 miles on it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I bought a Versys 650 a few months ago and can relate to your hesitant feeling.. Over the years I've owned several different bikes and absolutely love the performance of a well-tuned inline 4.

When I first got the Versys I didn't feel an overwhelming joy about the bike, in fact I felt uncomfortable with the bike and did not like the engine. I quickly found that the suspension was setup way too hard for my size and riding style. After fiddling with preload and dampening a few times (made it softer) the bike handles so much better.

Now I've been "eating chicken strips for dinner", if ya know what I mean.. haha! and the bike has definitely started to grow on me. Ultimately on an open piece of road the horsepower from an inline 4 cannot be matched, but 'within city limits' the consistent torque of a parallel twin has really fun potential.

Adjust the suspension to met your needs first and foremost. Once you're comfortable with pushing the bike, you'll find the low-end torque really digs into the road and is great fun thru quick corners.

I also find the low end power to be great in traffic.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found an issue..........

When I drove the bike home (about 100 miles) I was taking it easy during the break-in period like the manual somewhat indicates. A little research and I found out that's not what you should do to a new engine. You should flog it and just very the RPM's all the time, curvy roads are great for this.

Well, taking it easy on the way home meant I was riding a bit around 3-4K RPM's and apparently this year bike has a drive-line shudder around 3K. I attributed this to a parallel twin and didn't like it. Yamaha fixed this in the new model and it's something I'll be discussing with them shortly.

For now, I'm going to get on it, put it in 'SPORT' mode ( I had it in 'TOURING" which is a softer throttle) and just........RIDE! :grinangel:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have just under 400 miles on this Super Tenere now, and I must say, it's really growing on me. It still has the little drive-line shutter around 3K but I'll think I'll keep her!
Too bad none of you guys with a V1000 lives near me cause I'd still like to try one out. I think my S10 would surprise you.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I have just under 400 miles on this Super Tenere now, and I must say, it's really growing on me. It still has the little drive-line shutter around 3K but I'll think I'll keep her!
Too bad none of you guys with a V1000 lives near me cause I'd still like to try one out. I think my S10 would surprise you.
They kinda intrigued me at first, but they are just way too tall for me.

I wish people wouldn't use that moniker for it. Every time I see that I think I'm reading about a small Chevy pickup.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't get it either, wouldn't it you say s12 since its a 1200cc engine in the tenere?

I rode one on a demo ride once, plenty of power, but too much vibration for my liking. I felt at home on it, it felt like my dirtbike, but with WAY more power.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Adjust the suspension to met your needs first and foremost. Once you're comfortable with pushing the bike, you'll find the low-end torque really digs into the road and is great fun thru quick corners.

I also find the low end power to be great in traffic.
Although I believe I put the bike to the test, at least to my skill level, I don't know if I could take it farther with suspension tinkering. I find that when hitting any bump or BIG crack in the road while doing town speeds, 25-40mph, my spine and solar plexus take a pretty serious beating. I am 155lb @ 5'10", and the bike is supposed to come setup for my weight at setting 5 on the mono-shock. Where did you find a comfortable group of settings? If we weigh similar, I would like to give a different setup a try.

I think I'm not feeling the difference as blatantly as I expect to, and don't know if I'm there or not..

I also bought mine post haste. My ex gf picked up a used 09, and we fell in love with it. I jumped all over a leftover '11 in '12. Best bike I've owned/ridden, by a long shot.

OP besides the rambling, get the 1k and you will fall in love. :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
First, i just realized the OP was talking about a Yamaha Super Tenere. I missed that, thought we was talking about a Versys... haha

... I find that when hitting any bump or BIG crack in the road while doing town speeds, 25-40mph, my spine and solar plexus take a pretty serious beating. I am 155lb @ 5'10", and the bike is supposed to come setup for my weight at setting 5 on the mono-shock. Where did you find a comfortable group of settings? If we weigh similar, I would like to give a different setup a try.
My suspension is basically set as soft as it goes, I'm 6' and weigh around 165lbs and find its very nice now. Relatively soft over bumps but still firm enough to feel confident in corners.

Previously I had an aftermarket Penske rear shock with a 1200# spring :eek: so i swapped it back to the stock setup which was better but still quite firm; finally I just decided to set it to the softest settings and have liked it so far...

Obviously i'm not checking or setting sag correctly, but I don't often have helpers around to do it correctly. Seat time has confirmed positive changes though. Hope this helps..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts