Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Possible new Versys owner here, going to look at an '09 for sale tomorrow actually. Been researching here and checking out new models, comparing them to V-Strom's, etc. Since I'm an old school Kaw guy it would be hard for me not to go with the Versys, especially a "Green is faster" one!

I promise to try to use the search tool so not to over burden you vets with newbie Versys owner Q's.

Well the admin says I have to post twice before I can post in some forums so here is #1!

·
Premium Member
16,191 Posts
:welcome: If you have a question ask away. Were not that uptight here.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well I don't know about uptight but it has been said that I'm not wound-too-tight! :D

Assuming I go past the looking to the seriously considering tomorrow then that will require the obligatory test ride, any check for this or that issues prior and during the test ride? I have noticed how the pegs are centered into the riders legs when putting both feet down on the new V at the dealers, not a desirable trait but I haven't sat on the 09 to see if it has the same issue.

I've read about the cracking exhaust pipes (but not exactly WHERE this occurred or if it occurred on anything but the 2008 models, Brits claim), the rectifier shorting issue, the sometimes dodgy buttons on the cluster (Brits claimed this one too).

Bike has 16,000 miles on it but photos like showroom, I know, 10ft beauty queen rule but still it is impressive even taking that into consideration.

Tourance on the front not sure about back or sizes just yet, lots of farkles, and a decent asking price.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure where or what they were talking about but it was on some Brit (maybe Oz) video review of the bike on YouTube. I scoured the forum here and saw nothing about it here.

·
Premium Member
16,191 Posts
Mine's an 09.The main complaint on the V is the buzzing. Mine didn't have it till the i had the bulbs changed out and it was just the tab above the headlight. The way the pegs hit the back of my calves was a pain. I put motowerks peg lowering blocks and Concours 14 peg on the bike now when the do come into contact with my calves they just fold up and i hardly ever notice them.

IMG_0768 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Haven't heard of any exhaust cracking here in the states. But i'm putting these on tomorrow.

product1220_1b by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had (totaled) a C10 that had lowering brackets. It led to the inevitable constant scrapping in the twisties, do you have those issues with your set up? If not then that is a definite fix I'll look into, thanks!

Are those polished stainless pipes? They are nice looking to say the least and I'm guessing you're running sans bottom trim? You got something other than stock to stick in the other end of that? :thumb:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Welcome, I picked up an 09 several months ago with 14,000 miles with a lot a stuff as well, including riding gear..

I don't know about the foot peg thing, I've not sat on a 11..You'll be able to tell if the bike has been taken care of right off the bat, check the chain, this would be a good tale tale sign if the bike has been maintained, you know the old saying---you can put lip stick on a pig---:D but it's still a pig.

Anyway, hope it works out for you, fun fun and more fun to ride...

·
Premium Member
16,191 Posts
No problems with the pegs scrapping. Yep thier polished stainless. This will be on the other end.

IMG_0766 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just picked up a new 2012 yesterday. No buffeting but my once somewhat quite helmet is really noisy now. Is there a windshield that you don't have to look through that helps ? Or anyone use a helemt that is quiet on the Versys?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome but like best intentions it sometimes just doesn't work out. I have given it a lot of thought, test drives and looked for height solutions but alas I just can't seem to make the Versys work for me no matter what I have done. The 09 bike I had lined up was immaculate and loaded with farkles, new tires, stands, you name it and all for $4k!

The seller has taken it off the market temporarily as not many in the area are into these kind of bikes for some reason. I could maybe contact him about listing it here if that would help him and any member here get what they both want.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome and it has been my pleasure, you guys got a great site here, best wishes! :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts